Joan of Arc was not stuck at the cross-roads, either by rejecting all the paths like Tolstoy...

>Joan of Arc was not stuck at the cross-roads, either by rejecting all the paths like Tolstoy, or by accepting them all like Nietzsche. She chose a path, and went down it like a thunderbolt. Yet Joan, when I came to think of her, had in her all that was true either in Tolstoy or Nietzsche, all that was even tolerable in either of them.

>I thought of all that is noble in Tolstoy, the pleasure in plain things, especially in plain pity, the actualities of the earth, the reverence for the poor, the dignity of the bowed back. Joan of Arc had all that and with this great addition, that she endured poverty as well as admiring it; whereas Tolstoy is only a typical aristocrat trying to find out its secret. And then I thought of all that was brave and proud and pathetic in poor Nietzsche, and his mutiny against the emptiness and timidity of our time. I thought of his cry for the ecstatic equilibrium of danger, his hunger for the rush of great horses, his cry to arms. Well, Joan of Arc had all that, and again with this difference, that she did not praise fighting, but fought. We know that she was not afraid of an army, while Nietzsche, for all we know, was afraid of a cow.

>Tolstoy only praised the peasant; she was the peasant. Nietzsche only praised the warrior; she was the warrior. She beat them both at their own antagonistic ideals; she was more gentle than the one, more violent than the other. Yet she was a perfectly practical person who did something, while they are wild speculators who do nothing.

>It was impossible that the thought should not cross my mind that she and her faith had perhaps some secret of moral unity and utility that has been lost.

How will they ever recover?

Other urls found in this thread:

academia.edu/30267605/Christianity_s_Paradox_Chesterton_after_Kierkegaard
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Based Fat Catholic Man bringing the bantz.

DESTROYED

1st for the British were cucked by God

Isn't it treason for a Briton to speak well of Joan of Arc? Why wasn't he hanged for this?

Joan of Arc never actually fought, but I like where he's going

better for a catholic to be a traitor to one's proddy country than speak ill of a catholic saint and martyr

Yet I recall the French betraying God a few times after.

Why are English Catholics so based?

They had to fight for it

britain blows anyways

>mfw

What books is this from?

wtf all of this can perfectly be said of any soldier in any war from a poor family wtf there are like hundreds of millions of people that fit this everything he said i can't even wtf is this shit this is pure shit jeanne d'arc has nothing to do with tolstoy or nietzsche she's a mythologized french heroin they're a novelist and a philosopher wtf is this guy on about i what

This:
>Jean D'arc mostly fictive
>Tolstoy and Nietzsche are unrelated to her
>Chesterson was a cuck like all other brits
Read Evola, he's the full alpha package

So you're saying that the average man is better then Tolstoy and Nietzsche?

no i merely reductiod that bitch to the absurdum where he belongs

fuck you did i ask for reading advice motherfucker

I think Chesterton would say in response to that that you're correct. The average soldier IS better than Tolstoy or Nietzsche, because the average soldier has to confront and live through the things that Tolstoy and Nietzsche could only assume and conjure. And I don't see that as a glorification of military service. I see it as an acknowledgment that ultimately Tolstoy and Nietzsche are only playing pretend. Their ideas are powerful and potent, but those ideas spring from hypotheticals, not things either man actually experienced. Thus, for Chesterton, the lived experience of real soldiers surpasses their ideas.

Nietzsche served as a hospital attendant during the fucking Franco-Prussian war, at the siege of Metz, where he got diptheria and dysentery. The worst thing about Anglo-Catholic writers - especially converts - is their unwarranted pride and cruel contempt for people sincerely searching for truth outside of their little playpen of consolation, the Church. You're simply a deluded demoniac - Aquinas has all the answers moite! Muh common sense! Haww haww *stuffs fat fingers into mouth to lick sugar off*

what is it with philosophers becoming hospital attendants?

>Nietzsche, for all we know, was afraid of a cow.
FAKE NEWS

10/10 post

The rest of the passage is good too:

"Nietzsche had some natural talent for sarcasm: he could sneer, though he could not laugh; but there is always something bodiless and without weight in his satire, simply because it has not any mass of common morality behind it. He is himself more preposterous than anything he denounces. But, indeed, Nietzsche will stand very well as the type of the whole of this failure of abstract violence. The softening of the brain which ultimately overtook him was not a physical accident. If Nietzsche had not ended in imbecility, Nietzscheism would end in imbecility. Thinking in isolation and with pride ends in being an idiot. Every man who will not have softening of the heart must at last have softening of the brain.

This last attempt to evade intellectualism ends in intellectualism, and therefore in death. The sortie has failed. The wild worship of lawlessness and the materialist worship of law end in the same void. Nietzsche scales staggering mountains, but he turns up ultimately in Tibet. He sits down beside Tolstoy in the land of nothing and Nirvana. They are both helpless—one because he must not grasp anything, and the other because he must not let go of anything. The Tolstoyan’s will is frozen by a Buddhist instinct that all special actions are evil. But the Nietzscheite’s will is quite equally frozen by his view that all special actions are good; for if all special actions are good, none of them are special. They stand at the crossroads, and one hates all the roads and the other likes all the roads. The result is—well, some things are not hard to calculate. They stand at the cross-roads."

Protip, Winston Churchill was a Francophile and a Napoleon apologist.
>I always hate to compare Napoleon with Hitler, as it seems an insult to the great Emperor and warrior to connect him in any way with a squalid caucus boss and butcher.

Any other quotes from asspained slave-moralists?

>The softening of the brain which ultimately overtook him was not a physical accident. If Nietzsche had not ended in imbecility, Nietzscheism would end in imbecility. Thinking in isolation and with pride ends in being an idiot. Every man who will not have softening of the heart must at last have softening of the brain.

Churchill might have been trying to stroke the French cock there a bit, since he said it in 1944. Privately he didn't underestimate Hitler's ability as a statesman. Not to say anything about comparisons between Napoleon and Hitler. Probably some truth to what Churchill says but don't equate it with a real disregard for Hitler - One of Churchill's advantages over other men was not caricaturing Hitler.

>but there is always something bodiless and without weight in his satire, simply because it has not any mass of common morality behind it

I just wanted some quotes, user.

Brainlet here. Is he saying that Nietzsche is wrong because, according to Nietzsche, a person should choose their own morality but since a person should choose it, it is not morality?

Wow Chesterton is just a lot of empty rhetoric

Perhaps the converts are so proud because they've done all the "sincere searching" that you glorify so highly, and that's precisely what's led them to be Catholics? By your logic, what does Nietzsche do that Chesterton didn't also do?

Basically. Everything can't be special, obviously.

It's a damn shame Chesterton never wrote anything addressing Kierkegaard. Their views on paradox seem so opposite, yet so fundamental to their ideology, I'd have loved to see Chesterton's take.

this

and empty calories

This is, like, 90% taking the piss at Shaw, right?

>He is himself more preposterous than anything he denounces.
holy shit

this explains EXACTLY how I feel about NEETzche

thanks for this

Alright. So if it is wrong that nothing is special and it is wrong that everything is special then some things are special. What is special?

Its amazing how that simple sentence sums so much up

That's a much more complicated question that needs a lot more than a paragraph shooting down nihilism.

yeah I always felt that there was something that always goes unmentioned with regards to him but this about sums it all up

Buddy that just shook my head marbles. I never considered the search for truth ending at Catholic. It always seems like all truth seeking start there and leads away

Why does that have to be complicated? The special things seem pretty simple. Things like going out for dinner with friends or reading a good adventure book.

Fuck Chesteron, the obese windbag. He's such a fat, pompous, self-satisfied little twerp.

I have nothing against Joan of Arc, I just hate this lardass

I understand that. At the same time, I think in many cases it's an intellectual half-measure, understandably. Maybe that's my projection. Catholicism is a wide gate, with a narrow path. People desperate enough to walk through the gate, and cunning enough to find the path and actually navigate it naturally gain a little pride, even a little well-trimmed chauvinism. In the spirit of Chesterton, it's a bit of a paradox; it's both obvious and obscure - and these twin elements aren't discordant, but instead harmoniously heighten the pleasure of being a Catholic. A smirk knowingness gazes out at the wandering, blind babes who still haven't found their way to the suckling teat of Mother Church. If ever I have fear and trembling, tis not for them, but for mine own self.

not content with being soft merely in the heart and the head, chesterton took a double serving of softness in the belly

good post

t. George Bernard Shaw

BASED fat catholic man, atheists BTFO!!

*tips rosary*

Well I suppose that's almost an inevitable reaction. But I think a genuine Catholic faith calls one beyond that chauvinism. The lives of the saints speak to the idea that one can take that security of being in the Church and make a continuous pilgrimage of it, striving to strip away the sinful aspects of one's self so as to arrive at the image of Christ embodied in one's own being, which everyone is capable of but so few, it seems, achieve. One is driven to be more like Christ through their awe and wonder and love for Christ, and I do think Chesterton does a pretty good job, on occasion, capturing at least the awe and wonder. There are a few good instances of it in his essays in "Heretics" which I found very moving. His writings on the saints are also good for this stuff, for perhaps the same reason.

Tolstoy and Nietzsche are not "playing pretend" they lived life and had problems that transcended simple class barriers. You should read 'Confession', because there Tolstoy talks about the problem he had.

evola is for massive fedoralords

>"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of the Conservatives is to prevent the mistakes from being corrected."
tell me how Chesterton wasn't the black science man of the early 20th century

Transcending contemporary politics is the first step any serious thinker has to take.

Nah man, Shaw and Chesterton were friends. They vehemently disagreed about almost everything, but they liked each other quite a lot.

Are you kidding? That's a great line. Chesterton's humor is fantastic.

it's a reddit-tier line

that's a cute observation tbqh

Their views are quite complementary
academia.edu/30267605/Christianity_s_Paradox_Chesterton_after_Kierkegaard

there's something pathetic about this pompous, upper-middle class fat man who lived a life of nothing but comfort lecturing people who were truly conflicted and searching for meaning

You're right, I was hyper-general, and I feel even a little guilty for having moved you to this sincere defence. I started off referring to "Anglo-Catholic" literature, but coming back to this phrase seems like I'm implying a racial or cultural fatalism. I'm not - it's more of a bad habit. I like Chesterton's descriptions. He's also prone to a little hysteria, see 'the demoniac'. I guess when it hits it's flamboyant, effective drama and spectacle, and when it doesn't it seems overwrought.

Who would win? Actual thinkers vs one epileptic teenager

>Based Fat Catholic Man bringing the bantz
>stuffs fat fingers into mouth to lick sugar off
>the obese windbag. He's such a fat, pompous, self-satisfied little twerp
>I just hate this lardass
>this pompous, upper-middle class fat man who lived a life of nothing but comfort

Enough, quit calling Thomas Aquinas fat.
>DURR HURR FAT TOM
>THERE GOES FATTY FAT FAT TOMMY AQUINAS
We Catholics get it. Yes, Thomas Aquinas was morbidly, disgustingly obese-- it might even be fair to say he was grotesquely obese. That does NOT mean that his mind wasn't as TRIM as can be. Cut it out with the DURR FAT THOMAS AQUINAS jokes. In the History of Catholicism, I can say, as a Catholic, he is the greatest MIND in the history of the world. He's not called Doctor Angelicus for nothing. Seriously, crack open the Summa. Try calling him FAT TOM after get a load of his LITHE genius. Call him FAT TOM one more time. DURR. Ugh.

If you beat iron enough it becomes steel

>He is himself more preposterous than anything he denounces.
How ironic for GKC to point his plump frankfurter of a finger for this reason at something other than a mirror.

>be Francis
>I'VE EATEN MEAT! EVERYONE LOOK AT ME!
>I'VE BEEN SUCH A BAD BOY!
>A FILTHY ANIMAL!
>I DESERVE TO BE PUNISHED IN FRONT OF EVERYONE!
>LET ME TAKE OFF MY ROBE, NOW HERE, PUT THIS ROPE AROUND MY NECK AND LEAD ME THROUGH THE CITY LIKE THE ANIMAL I AM!
>FILL A CUP WITH ASHES!
>LOOK AT ME EVERYONE! DIRTY FRANCIS!
>YES, NOW POUR THEM ON MY HEAD
>LOOK AT ME, I'M CRYING AS I'M DRAGGED THROUGH THE STREET!
>CRY WITH ME, WRETCH THAT I AM!
>LOOK AT ME!
>"You and all who have left the world after my example and follow the way of life of the brethren consider me a holy man, but before the Lord and you I repent because during this sickness of mine I ate meat and meat drippings."
>NOW RECORD THIS AND USE IT AS AN EXAMPLE OF HOW GREAT I AM!
>become the most revered man in the history of the Latin church

>waaaah I applied band aids and got a disease for being shit at my job
Riveting tale of military heroism.

>it's an Eastern schismatic gets assblasted about St. Francis episode

>this entire thread

jeez that heresy sp00ked me

Another section from Orthodoxy that I love.
>see gif with passage

If we said what we felt, we should say, “So you are the Creator and Redeemer of the world: but what a small world it must be! What a little Heaven you must inhabit, with angels no bigger than butterflies! How sad it must be to be God; and an inadequate God! Is there really no life fuller and no love more marvelous than yours; and is it really in your small and painful pity that all flesh must put its faith? How much happier you would be, how much more of you there would be, if the hammer of a higher God could smash your small cosmos, scattering the stars like spangles, and leave you in the open, free like other men to look up as well as down!”

>friends
>good
That's some spooky shit right there

Catholicism thrives under pressure, dies when at peace with the world.

I'm unable to take fat people seriously, it's the one thing that's truly unforgivable

>how much more of you there would be
lol at the thinly-veiled apology of his gluttonous tendencies

Yes, well, we seem to have finally caught up with the Orthodox in allowing divorce. I hope you're happy.

anyone who's ever been fat is going straight to hell, it says right there in the bible, gluttony is a deadly sin... sorry, "gilbert", long, insufferable tracts just don't make up for it

can you even imagine, heaven: perfect, eternal bliss, occasionally interrupted by the grotesque spectacle of witnessing a human ball of lard dragging its rolls round the pearly gates

there's no way fat people are allowed in heaven, how can you be perfectly happy when under constant exposure to psychological torture?

>>>>a*glo
>>>>c*tholic

i don't think they need to recover from what is akin to a bug bite

Holy shit how will they ever recover

when the fat kid delivers a "scathing witticism" against you at school, everyone still aughs at him

sorry, fattie, you just can't win

dude life is measured in suffering points lmao

*eats enough to feed an entire victorian age proletarian family*
hmm, yes, the life of the average person, which i know so well, is superior to that of these "philosophers"
*salivates at the thought of his next meal, breaks his diet for the second time that day*

That's literally catholic philosophy.

*eats another cake*
So, as I was saying *burps* sobriety *farts* and temperance are clearly *burps* the way to go. Where's the pudding, dear?

catholics? retarded? more likely than you may at first think

>Chesterton was a large man, weighing around 20 stone 6 pounds (130 kg; 286 lb)
lmfao, imagine this guy scoffing at you for not going to church on sunday

>Chesterton allegedly converted to Roman Catholicism after having attended a Catholic mass and confirming that the servings of bread and wine during communion were more substantial[7]
huh... really makes you think...

Veeky Forums catholics are on the level of chritian fundamentalists in the american south.

great post & prose

>We know that she was not afraid of an army, while Nietzsche, for all we know, was afraid of a cow.

lol NEETchlets BTFO. Going to start posting cows in Nietzsche threads

Tolstoy was a soldier tho. He fought the turks in the 1850's.

It's a legitimate thing to be concerned about. I won't judge the state of the man's soul -- I can't know such a thing -- but I don't think that episodes such as that serve as a good example for others. They seem more likely to lead to pride more than humility.
>Mt. 6:5-6 “And when you pray, you must not be like the hypocrites; for they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and at the street corners, that they may be seen by men. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward. But when you pray, go into your room and shut the door and pray to your Father who is in secret; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you.

truly an imposing figure...it's ok to admit you're scared user

Fundies are actually religious though and not just in it for the aesthetics.

He was also a pretty old man before he found his truth. Joan was like 19 when she died.