Fountain Pen Thread

What do you have? What do you want? What do you like?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Sailor-fountain-professional-silver-11-1518-420/dp/B00FIELEVM/
amazon.com/Sailor-Pen-fountain-professional-11-1222-220/dp/B001TI9LMU
amazon.com/Sailor-Pen-fountain-professional-11-1222-220/dp/B001TI9LMU/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Overpriced. Impractical. Hipster.

Fuck that shit. But if you need this certain FEELING...

/hand fedora general/

i have one. How is this lit related.

Gotta write with something

Impractical how?

>Bought a Mont Blanc
>Remembered I was left handed
>Put it in a drawer

One payday I'm not getting back

I was gifted a Mont Blanc pen when I graduated high school lel

kek i was just writing with this fountain pen model
Anyways they suck, i prefer rollers

Pleb tier, but I'm left handed, and fountains just get smeared like a bitch when I try to use'em.

>Pleb tier
>left handed
you sound more like a pleb learn2write

>Overpriced
>hipster
nigger, theres more cheap fountain pen options than ever before, and just because bald whitemen in glasses review something on youtube, it doesnt make it hipster

(you)

I have a handful of different ones but this is the one I’ve been using lately. I typically use them when it’s going to be something someone else sees (I have bad handwriting and fountain pens make my handwriting look slightly less shitty.) This one’s a “Pen & Ink” brand pen. It scratches sort of rather than moving smoothly across the sheet (I think maybe this one is made for drawing rather than writing), but it doesn’t bother me that much.

your pen is a shite

*your pen a shit

you should still find a new pen

I need to use a fountain pen because I handwrite all my notes and my hand cramps up otherwise. Fountain pens require the least amount of force to make a dark line, so you can write for longer without getting sore.

I have a Pilot Metropolitan, Lamy Safari, TWSBI Eco (the same as your pic related actually), and Montblanc Meisterstuck. All medium sized nibs, but they're all slightly different sizes. The Eco has the thickest line out of all of them and the Metro has the thinnest.

ink ≠ Veeky Forums
>I hate fun

You should find a new brain.

>Lamy Safari

I have one of these. The plastic makes it feel a little cheap, but other than that it's alright and it has the sort of aesthetic of something you would just throw in your backpack. I like the thick clip too.

It's lightweight and you don't have to worry about it getting lost. Good enough for a work/school pen

>spent $40 on a chinese pen
>calling others dumb

I think the pen I was talking about is around $10 on amazon.

Been using Pilot Kakunos for over 2 years now. It's the first time I deliberately picked a specific pen to write with, so I wanted to get comfortable taking care of it/keeping track of it before spending any more money. Lost one, dropped another one, irreparably mangling the nib. Been about a year since anything went wrong; figured I'm getting more careful and it's time to upgrade a bit. Not my pic since customs apparently held on to it for like a week, but I should be getting this tomorrow.

Also tried "upgrading" ink from plain Parker black to Pilot Iroshizuku ajisai, and frankly I prefer the black. Kind of a disappointment.

Just as an aside I think fountain pens are pretty cool, but the people who hoard pens and ink and bullshit like that seem just as lame as the ones who spend lots of money on wet shave paraphernalia. Both can be important parts of your day, but god damn what a disproportionate amount of attention being paid to such little things that should not be taking up so much of your time.

Time, Happiness and Adoration

people who collect fountain pens are usually weird old white guys

I was looking at pilot custom lady white and your platinum model but in kanazawa leaf, decided to just get a platinum 3776

>spent 10 on a scratchy chinese pen that isnt even cloisonne
jinhoas cost $1.03 with free shipping

>>Lamy Safari
Cheap & looks like a toy but writes well. Wish it had a bit more heft but I'm happy with this as an everyday pen.

>$10 and $25 pens getting called 'cheap'
And you people always act surprised when you get lined up against the walls

fountain pens that are

>3776

Looks nice. Personally, I want a Meisterstuck one day, so I can't shake the feeling that any "classic" styled fountain pen is just going a fraction of the way in that direction. That's why I went for something obviously different.

t. bourgeois bugman

I have a Safari and an Eco and they work great and I love them, and yet of course ever since buying them I've wanted to spend way more money than I should on a nice fancy one that I'm guaranteed to lose immediately.

montblanc and visconti has dogshit nib quality control, youre guranteed to be forced to go to penshow or ship it in the mail to a nibmeister

an "Average" fountain pen goes for $350-$650
a "Good" fountain pen goes from $600 to $1600 ('good' japanese are 200-300)
a "cool" fountain pen can go from $500 to $2500
so yes actually a $65 platinum 3776 or TWSBI Vac 700 is a great deal actually, $13-$75 indian ebonite/acryllic pens like from Noodlers and click are amazing when they "should" cost around $350

more like fountain penis lol

god that is beautiful. stop tempting me.

whats the obsession with inks that get destroyed the minute they get hit by sunshine or water?

theyre mostly plastic so its kind of too light in the hand

Fountain pens feel so nice but my writing is so small and scratchy it's an illegible black bar if written in anything above a .05mm

Sailor and Platinum Extra fine

Lamy safari in EF if you want to try fountain pens

if you like that, Sailor promenade in Fine, dont pay more than $83

Three euros, aluminium, writes nice after 2 years of use.

This user has great taste.

>analog writting
Get in with the times, grandpas

Those headphones are amazing though

penfags and calligraphy/penmanship autists are BY FAR the most retarded of all hobbyists

>he think the price for brand names and design in Mont Blancs and Montegrappas reflects the writing characteristics
Yes, I hear Vertu phones are superior at transmitting voice too. Fucking retard.

lol living in a world of hobbyists

my muji was dirt cheap and runs fine.
about to get another

Best bang for buck fine and extra fine fountain pens? Inks? Anything on sale? I want to have a good pen (or two) and ink for writing in Japanese and drawing. I haven't used fountain pens before, but I'd rather get something efficient, smooth, and pleasant to use than a cheap sub-par pen that is less ergonomic and comfortable.

Any input or advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

Pilot metropolitan and twsby eco are great pens for a lower cost. I’ve got both and love them

The eco sure is pretty, though I'd rather not buy a Chinese pen. That said, how does it compare to the metropolitan in actual use? Know of anything else I should consider?

>post youre responding to shits on montblanc
>this bad at shitposting
are you a woman?

you should probably buy a $2 chinese pen since youve never even used fountain pens and dont even know if you even like using them

what a garbage pretentious thread. Why the fuck the monkey ass mods dont ban this shit is beyond me

I cash all in on my purchases, and rarely do I ever regret them. Usually only if I be cheap. I don't care to buy upwards, I buy at a reasonable point and enjoy the ride from there.

>Pic related, me and my face when I only save my money, don't buy cheap shit, and buy a few really nice things instead.

Thinking the TWSBI Diamond 580 or 580AL might be a good fit for me, or maybe a higher-end Pilot. Need to look into some inks now.

if youre looking for a fine point, buy a sailor or a platinum, pilot runs wetter than the other jap brands and twsbi's nibs arent as consistent

I appreciate that information. I wouldn't have known about that otherwise. Any fine-point pens to suggest in particular?

Anglos calling fountain pens pretentious should be put down. Almost everyone uses them in school in France, and it doesn't have a single hint of pretentiousness attached to it. The superficiality that has taken hold of the anglosphere is mind blowing. It's fucking sad.

I find the twsby to be less scratchy than the metro, I also really prefer the sleeker body to the metro’s chunkier feel. I’ve had mine for a couple months and I’ve had no issues with the build quality.

Lemme just learn how to rewire my dominate body side buddy

The best under 1k headphones objectivly are now reddit?

How does it feel to have worse taste than reddit?

You sound like robert california, and are porbobaly just as stupid and out of touch.

Sailor 1911, Sailor promenade, Sailor pro gear Sailor is god tier at Fine nibs
platinum 3776 platinum president (platinum has fine, extra fine, soft fine, and ultra extra fine)
Pilot nibs run wetter and thus their extra fines and fines end up looking wider, but theyre still primarily tuned around kanji and Katakana

japanese ink converters tend to fucking suck, especially Sailor's, youre better off washing out a cartridge and refilling it with a syringe or something platinum's converters are okay, and they have an adaptor for using regular international converters and cartridges

pilot iroshizuku and any other ridiculous priced ink is meme-tier shit, regular pilot brand fountain pen ink is just as good if not better, Noodlers 'regular' black is as well behaved as anything

Thanks for the suggestions. The first two sailors you mentioned seem like good matches for me. A 3776 Plat Pres is a bit much for me ($300+?), though the Plat Century is pretty well-priced. As for the Pro Gear (II)...

>tfw want a pen in silver (clear display being a bonus), but the gold is significantly cheaper.

The same thing applies to the Plat Century, to an even more significant degree. Why are the silver variants of everything so much more expensive?

Are there any alternative converters for Sailor pens? No point in getting a nice pen if it's got bad parts.

I don't want to buy overpriced pilot inks, but I've been pressed to find good-value inks in decent sizes.

>Noodlers
I thought Noodler's could gum regular fountain pens up? Maybe I'm just under the impression that they're all corrosive iron gall inks only good for dip pens or something.

>Pro gear II silver is expensive!
Wait, is this the pen you meant?:

If so, I feel like an idiot.

i meant both century and president
a lot of companies charge more for rhodium plating

no theres no alternative converter for sailor, just refill cartridges

Noodlers bulletproof black is not corrosive at all and its not even iron gall,

>no theres no alternative converter for sailor

Do you think that's a reason for not buying a Sailor pen + converter? Should I just get a Platinum Century and converter instead?

I dont really see the problem in refilling empty cartridges, but if you must have the converter get platinum

what a garbage and pretentious comment. Why the fuck the monkey ass mods dont ban this shit is beyond me

>critique one part of the post
>hurr durr about the other
This isn't your babby contrarianism board, reddit, learn to read.

By 'refill', do you mean using a syringe? Isn't this problematic if I want to use different inks?

On another note, regarding the pro gear, just found another one that has a similar title and shape for >$90 shipped:

amazon.com/Sailor-Pen-fountain-professional-11-1222-220/dp/B001TI9LMU

Compared to:

Looks like I can get a Platinum Century for between $67-$80. They make big price hikes for the rhodium coating though, which makes them more expensive than our loveable Sailor. Have to buy the converter, which I presume is $6-$10 or so without looking it up. Are Sailor converters truly that bad?

take your own advice you cancerous nigger

yes like that, and no, switching inks requires flushing out the pen anyhow

yes, sailor convertors last like maybe a week, then they leak all over the place

I think I might go with the Sailor Pro Gear, then.

( This one: amazon.com/Sailor-Pen-fountain-professional-11-1222-220/dp/B001TI9LMU/ )

Great price, looks nice. I think it will work well for me.

Thank you for your guidance, user. I appreciate that you took the time to respond to me about all of this. I think I'll enjoy this very much--time to get comfy!

noodlere bullet proof black is as good a value as you can get for a permanent ink

Patrician choice

The lamy al star is the safari in an aluminum body, I think it feels way better.

Even as a joke...
>All that pressure required to make a stroke

Good bye relaxed hands, RIP.

>all these neo-luddite hipsters
Unless you're a 16 year old girl that writes diaries about her incredibly rich inner world or do actual calligraphy there's no reason to use fountain pens.
>but user I take handwritten notes in my menstrual studies lectures
Use a fucking computer, hipster trash.

>this guy doesn’t keep a diary

>calligraphy
nigger, you need a dip pen for that
fountain pens are non-disposable, they last until you break them, which in your case chromosome disorder case that you are, would be frequent

>having geriatric hands that can't handle a bic, the least effort ballpoint out there
>not liking elevation proof writing

I can use a bic, but the problem is that because of the size and flow of the pens, I end up scrunching my fingers into a tight, rigid position to achieve the kind of clean lines I want. I don't have beefy hands, but perhaps the error is just on my end.

>Elevation proof writing

What exactly do you mean by this? I don't know absoluely everything about writing/pen lingo.

>tfw going to be a Sailor patrician on day 1, though.

good thread
I own several chink pens and a metro
for ink I recommend pilot blue-black
its well behaved, doesn't feather, flows well and is semi water resistant
I wanna try noodler's what would you recommend?

the lamy 2000 has an iconic look and is a joy to write with

that's the 600s silly

literally the most uncomfortable writing instrument of all time

If you want your handwriting to look like Quasimodo’s