Author with your favorite writing style?

author with your favorite writing style?

A white, heterosexual man instead of degeneracy

Flaubert.

Don Delillo

Calvino

Hegel

Tao Lin

Good work of Mishima to start off with? Just tineyed the image and went to his wiki. Sounds like he wrote some interesting stuff, so wondering what a good first read would be.

Any particularly good translations?

Karel Capek, his writing embodies comfiness.

uhh why? He reads like an autist's shopping list half the time

confessions a mask is a good one to start off with. couldn't find any other translations for it besides the one by meredith weatherby, though.

W.G. Sebald

>t. dfw

I like the message of Sun and Steel, and Mishima had quite the life, but his literary style seems quite pompous and forced. Maybe it's just the translation.

YHWH

krasznahorkai as translated by george szirtes

Thanks. I'll put it on my list.

Borges

You're not going to get an accurate picture of japanese style in english, the languages are way too different

Knut Hamsun

Wilde, Wilde and Wilde.

His wit and purple prose keeps you engaged on a surface level, but there's an undercurrent of cynicism and anger towards society that makes his works thought provoking and sometimes tragic.

Outside of Hesse, and various romantic poets, I've had trouble finding writers that deal with exploration of the self without sounding incredibly dry. Wilde, meanwhile, has beautiful prose and that makes his writing more interesting.

Yeats.

Cormac

yep this why, translations are going to lose a lot
also japs are shitty writers
but the translation too

saul bellow.

Melville, it's not even close

Fitzgerald

Confessions of a Mask ISN’T a good one to start off with.... the Sound of Waves, on the other hand, IS.

Kierkegaard has so many different writing styles and I am horrified to see my reflection in many of them. If, as one user is hell-bent on stating, Pessoa is anywhere near Kierk in creative usage of heteronyms, I will probably like him too.

Shouts out to personal favorites Milton, Flann O'Brien, Genre Wolfe, and PKD. Are they better than Shakespeare, Joyce, Tolkien, and ... whomever is comparable to Dick? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Melville was the first writer that made me conscious of how good the prose itself was, even divorced from the content. Absolute master.

"If on a winter's night..." should be the collection of everything I hate in a book ("LMAO you are reading these words right now, aren't you??") but gotdamm if he isn't a charming and talented writer. On the back cover of my edition, a quotation reads: "Calvino is a wizard." I cannot disagree.

>Dear friend now in the dusty clockless hours of the town when the streets lie black and steaming in the wake of the watertrucks and now when the drunk and the homeless have washed up in the lee of walls in alleys or abandoned lots and cats go forth highshouldered and lean in the grim perimeters about, now in these sootblacked brick or cobbled corridors where lightwire shadows make a gothic harp of cellar doors no soul shall walk save you.

This is the ideal white heterosexual male prose. You may not like it, but this is what peak performance looks like.

john williams changed me