Where did everything go so wrong?

Where did everything go so wrong?

I remember threads like this last year. We get it kid. You think everyone is a pleb with bad taste except for you. But you probably haven't even read any books released in 2017 anyways.

>implying people ever change

2017 wasnt that great a year in awards or literature, but we will only know its real worth in 50-200 years anyways.

In the meantime, observe the top selling books in 1917. Pop-lit is never best lit:

Mr. Britling Sees It Through by H. G. Wells
The Light in the Clearing by Irving Bacheller
The Red Planet by William J. Locke
The Road to Understanding by Eleanor H. Porter
Wildfire by Zane Grey
Christine by Alice Cholmondeley
In the Wilderness by Robert S. Hichens
His Family by Ernest Poole
The Definite Object by Jeffrey Farnol
The Hundredth Chance by Ethel M. Dell

There is literally nothing wrong with that.

Read rupi kaur instead of de Peguilhan and you'll understand how superior she is.

>no john green

Disgusting

>everything go so wrong
Literally nothing in your picture is wrong.

How do people even find out new releases of books? Seems like a dumb question, but i know about other forms of media about what's recent, but i know nothing of yearly books outside a few rare cases

AMLAO? ALM AO? RDIUGIRS? KTE MORE?

the millions website

Internet, magazines, newspapers, fairs.

garbage gets shilled and marketed because money and influence, the scum now floats to the top

I read horror books alot which people here look down on me for, but I use a couple review sites to search for things I like. Ginger Nuts of Horror. ThisIsHorror and Horror Fiction reviews blog has found me a couple of gems that are never spoken of anywhere else since they aren't big names. I haven't read a book reviewed on these sites I 100% hated, but some are better than others and of course if the content in the review does not sound like my cup of tea I skip it. I also skip all books written by women as they can't write anything in the horror genre for shit and they just make it about womens rights or some garbage.

Even looking at this list I can see the top horror book is by Stephen King's son. Now it might be an alright book I haven't read it, but its no doubt its only there because of the publicity he gets.

I've used Goodreads since 2014 but only for list-making purposes. After seeing all these threads... are there any men on GR? It seems wildly skewed towards (millennial) women.

Or is reading just a largely feminine hobby...

The masses are and always have been retarded

NYRB, The New Criterion, London Review etc

>Or is reading just a largely feminine hobby...
Well, at least in the US, women read more, use the library more and join more book clubs.

I wouldn't say reading is a feminine hobby, but it is true more women read than men. Sadly most women just read garbage.

The Veeky Forums oldfag community is 95% men

im in my 30s and I dont know any men who read at all, but almost every woman does

I would say women read more because typically they aren't working. They're supported by a man. So they have this shit load of free time on their hands. Which means a shit load of time to entertain yourself. So reading books is an outlet to escape the boredom of being a strong independent female who doesn't need a man, but uses one anyways so they don't have to work a day in their life.

Only plebs read these threads to make fun of other plebs

radium girls is a pretty interesting book actually

I didn't start this thread in order to make fun of people. This shit isn't funny at all
>"Big Mushy Happy Lump" is the best graphic novel from this year
>Hilary's memoirs
>"How to be a bawse"
>NGT's book is the best science has offered this year
>Rupi Kaur
>picture books category

What is it about?

These so called respectable publication s mostly shill middle brow trash, in Ireland the Culture mag of the best selling Sunday broadsheet has been shamelessly promoting Sally Rooney's crap for months, big investments

I had to read The Hate U Give for a class this year. It's actually not that bad for YA fiction, and it's at least better than John Green.

I don't understand how so many people can vote for Harry Potter books that aren't even official books in the series. I also don't understand why Harry Potter isn't in the YA fantasy category.

The only book I read from the straight up fiction category was Exit West, which I enjoyed but I can't say anything about the other nominees or the winner.

The graphic novel and autobiography winners are atrocious. There were so many great graphic novels to choose from, and even though I voted for Hillary her book is just a cheap cash-in that people are voting for because Trump won.

>based Rupi wins again

literacy for the masses is, where it went not wrong but a temporary downslide i'd say.

>What is it about?
before the harmful effects of radiation were recognised, people used to handle radioactive elements without any protective clothing
people believed radium was good for them, see pic related
radium was commonly used in many things and girls who worked in factories handled it and got radiation sickness
it took years for their case to be taken seriously

Am I a pleb for like this? Also post recent books that are actually good and could possibly stand the test of time.

Uh.. That's it?

you think Ulysses was the top selling novel of 1922?

obviously not but i'm not going to type out the whole book just because you're too lazy to even look at the fucking wikipedia page about it

It doesn't have a wikipedia page

When you have to go out of your way to over represent women, you'll see a couple of shit books in there.

Every person in contemporary threads I see use the term "middlebrow" never offers his own highly sharpened suggestions. Reminder that last month the New Criterion reviewed the last piece of Solzhenitsyns Red Wheel, and NYRB featured di Benedetto this year.

I bet the book "The Hate You Give" isn't all that bad (For a YA anyways), but the reviews on goodreads are absolutely atrocious. You only see white people in comments crying about how sorry they are for the cops killing their pet niggers (excuse me for the /pol/esque lingo, but as you well may know these liberals are extremely racist) and how nobody will ever feel how they do.

The absolute state of White people.