How do you go about reading Veeky Forums?

Do you read everyday? Do you read multiple books a once? Do you ever make notes while reading? Any tips for those wanting to become avid readers? Feel free to add anything.

Bump, I feel like I've lost the knack for getting really into books. I remember when I was 16 I used to stay up for hours reading with a torch, I couldn't stop if I wanted to I was so hooked. Now I struggle to finish even medium length novels, I find myself reading multiple books at once and not enjoying any of them much, reading has just become a chore.

I'm worried it has something to do with me getting older and reading books that are less plot-driven and more "intellectual". Am I just a brainlet? There's all these classic high-brow authors I'm meant to read and appreciate and enjoy, but honestly I feel like I haven't been gripped by a book since I read the Foundation trilogy. Am I being a pretentious fuck for making myself read this shit?

The biggest barrier to reading is attention, and there's a ton of evidence that shows how the internet (which its constant stream of interactive stimulation) negatively affects attention. The biggest tip I can give to someone getting into reading is to limit internet use as much as you comfortably can. If you're going to browse the internet, do it deliberately for a certain amount of time, don't just surf mindlessly.

Ah THIS. I struggle with attention span issues and aside from any natural issues with attention I already had, I've noticed that the internet has deteriorated my ability to focus on a single thing for a long period of time.I'm pretty addicted to the internet, so limiting my use would be a major challenge. I think the worst is social media. The mindless scrolling, the constant stimulation it provides. It also wastes so much time.

lol wtf why did you read with a torch, were your parents medieval grain farmers or something?

Who doesn't read with a torch?

You'll burn the pages, though. Having a fire like that so close to pages is just asking for a disaster.

kek

Fucking Americans

>not using a Taschenlampe
Plebejer.

Read this book if you're interested in the subject

I really don't understand the problem

How am I supposed to read it if I can't stop paying attention to the internet?

No one has really answered OP’s question.

This has occurred to me as well. I’m reading The Brothers Karamazov and even that is a bit too dense... Why force myself to read it? Who gives a fuck - really? When will it come into my life? I like the act of reading, and it is a rewarding behavior, but sometimes I don’t know how great it is to force it down.

Though I will say I think there are people that enjoy Moby Dick and The Recognitions - both of which I consider hard reads - and it’s probably just because they’re pretty bright.

I read everyday, usually one fiction and one non-fiction book at the same time. I take notes on my Kindle and then expand upon them in my notebook when I'm done with the book. Works fince since 2012.

Love it how people complain about the social media, on a social media.

If you're not enjoying it, or not feeling like you're getting something out of it, read something else. Dostoevsky is pretty complicated, and Russian lit can be pretty dry in general. Don't force it, bro, just put in the effort, but there's no reason to read something you're not getting anything out of.

I read a bit on my bed then every half hour I will take a break to look at Veeky Forums for 5 minutes, then I might stretch it to every 1 hour for a break.

I'll read any day that I can. I work from home so that allows me time to read an hour in the morning, an hour in the afternoon and during a lunch break.

I'll take notes while reading if the book is non-fiction or if it's a complex novel, but not that frequently.

If you're wanting to become an avid reader, OP, how frequently do you currently read? What books do you currently read? What do you enjoy about them?

Veeky Forums likes to give a hard time to new readers who read easily accessible classics but really that's why those books are out there, to sink people into reading. 1984, Animal Farm, The Road, Of Mice and Men, Death of a Salesman, the list goes on...

> Americans really get this assblasted when you mention torch instead of flashlight

can't wait to visit second Russia and complain about no fish and chippy chips, m8

Americans refer to them as "flashlights". A torch implies fire for us.

Calm down sounds like you need to be taken away on a stretcher.

Social media can be a useful tool with moderate usage. It becomes a problem when mindless scrolling takes up most of the time in your day. Not really all that much of a complaint as it is an observation.

The cool kids

Don't just read. because obviously you aren't enjoying it. Maybe you want to learn something, so read about what you want and try to actually learn. By example i want to learn about the big history, the natural history since the Big Bang to the cradle of civilization and i am actually reading this because i want TO KNOW. Then i wish to read the human history along the successive master works of literature, philosophy, science and arts in general.

I have a very big motivation to read. Do you have one?

Don't read anything you don't want to, obviously. I'd recommend listening to book-related podcasts or booktubers to boost your enthusiasm. I fall in/out of love with hobbies every few weeks or so but always cycle back to each of them at some point.

Don't force an interest, just be sure to capitalize on the next time you're in the mood to read.

Finally we've found the real intellectual battlefield of the thread

I read everyday. I'm usually reading about 5 books at one time, a nonfiction book, usually history, art, or literary theory, a poetry book, a book of short stories, a novel, and a sci-fi or fantasy book. I always write in the book when I'm reading poetry or Russian lit, as it helps keep me engaged. I take notes on nonfiction books if they're in fields I'm particularly interested in and then type the notes after I'm done reading, which helps me retain the information. I write down words or allusions I want to look up, but while I'm reading, I try to put my phone away so I don't get distracted. If I want to get a lot of reading in, I take breaks by switching from one book to another every hour or so.

How many hours a day do you read?

Went from reading literally not since 15 years ago, or more, to 2-3, sometimes 4 hours in a day since July. Usually only read one thing at a time. Though I took up my collected Lovecraft again to spice it up with some short stories inbetween my regular non-fiction. Prefer psychology, mythology, theology, and intersection of the three. Very little fiction. I don't take notes cause I'm a pleb, at this point I just remember what book I read something in and roughly what section then go back to cite it; appendix usually does me well enough. Tips for becoming a reader? You just sit down and do it. If it feels like it takes forever, that's because it does, because you don't have rapid speed-entertainment tricking you into how long 20 minutes SHOULD feel. Best thing may be to stop counting pages and just keep turning them, and when you get to the end of the chapter you vowed would be your finishing point, just read another damn chapter. What I do notice is that as much of a slog as reading can be, when I'm not reading I'm fantasizing about some book I would love to dig into, so at least I've made a compulsive habit out of it despite the "work," so to say.

I used to read novels all the time when I was a teenager. I'd stay up late into the wee hours of the morning just because I'd be so hooked on a good story and wouldn't want to put the book down.

I really miss it. I'm probably going to get myself an e-reader for Christmas so I can bring a bunch of literature with me everywhere and not have any excuses to fall off the wagon again.

Why don't you download some PDFs on your phone and realize how mindnumbing it is to finger swipe down a screen to read text. I mean, maybe you're not like me, but I literally can't read a book unless I'm turning physical pages. To a certain extent I feel like Veeky Forums's shoutbox-style low effort replies/low effort consumption has made a lemming out of me, but it is what it is. Even when I get the wall of text post I usually get aggravated by it, as if it were (and it generally is) unfit for this format of correspondence.

>finger swipe down a screen to read text
Don't readers show you a whole page at once?

In any case, I don't think it's mind numbing at all. I read to consume the literature; the method of page turning is irrelevant.

My life has changed dramatically for the better in the past six months or so.

I get up early (I teach English online starting at 6:30am, so I wake up around 4:45) and read a paper book with my morning coffee. I'm currently about 1/3 through Start With the Greeks.

At night I read lighter novels on my kindle paperwhite. I'm working through the Veeky Forums starter kit for those.

I've read 10 books since the beginning of October this way. I don't watch netflix anymore, I don't go on facebook, I rarely fuck around on the internet.

I'm getting Veeky Forums and I'm also keeping a clean house. My six-month-old daughter will be raised in a house where we read and play games, rather than sit in front of the television like my parents did with me.

I fucking love reading, Veeky Forums

I'm currently reading pic related in the morning and Fahrenheit 451 at night.

any of yall use a kindle to read? I have too many paper books and just want something I can toss in my heavy backpack that doesn't take up any room

also I want free books because I'm poor

buy books second hand, from the store or online, that costs practically pennies

sounds like you're doing good, well done.

I used to read every night before sleeping, something like 45 mins. Also, anytime I am in public transport I make sure to have a book to read.
Nowadays, I am married and my wife falls asleep fast when reading, so I mostly read in public transport and sometimes when she is out... I watch too much TV these days in.stead