A fantasy book isn't good unless it has a map. What's the best fantasy map?

A fantasy book isn't good unless it has a map. What's the best fantasy map?

i didnĀ“t wales was pretty big

Old school

what even is this

and some close-ups, with military campaigns detailed

>think of Luskan and Neverwinter as local rivals
>they're hundreds of miles apart

it misses "asian lands that are not referred to in this story except through slave dealers and caravans"

KEK my Kekistani brother! I tip my fedora to you, Comrade! Kikes BTFO!!! ROFL XD

Faerun is a fucking mess.

E. R. Eddison's Zimiamvia, the three kingdoms of Fingiswold, Rerek, and Meszria. From Mistress of Mistresses, 1930's epic fantasy.

There are worse horrors

World of Greyhawk is Best setting.

> map's extreme territories are named things that imply their desolateness and are either glossed over or shrouded in mystery
> territories central to the plot cover the entire map, bounded by barren land or impassable water,
> world has thousands of years worth of lore and history, but level of development and scientific advancement and knowledge of the world has stayed static

>all people have known about all places in the world at all times, faraway places were known just as well as close ones and were in no way mysterious
>maps are never built around the places people live: they just arbitrarily cover distant places instead
>oceans, mountain ranges, deserts, salt flats, and extreme climates acting as natural barriers to migration don't exist
>people don't have mythic pasts covering a vague, untold amount of time
>technology has always advanced steadily, and not just in the last several hundred years

Bionicle has a more interesting looking map than that

I was actually trying to make a map for a story to help me keep locations consistent and then my autism kicked in from playing too many strategy games and i just got fed up with trying to make it look realistic.

A lot of fantasy writers have 0 knowledge of history, Howard being a massive exception.

I fucking hate the "uncivilized woodland LMAO" trope. Any civilized and sufficiently populous kingdom will cut the fucking trees down to make room for settlers. Furthermore, historically, if you look at Eastern Europe where large areas like this existed, they were absolutely always inside the realm and not on the edge of it. See: Poland, Hungary, Romanian principalities, Bulgaria, Serbia, Georgia, etc. Rivers, mountains and steppes were always the limes for the respective realms. Never mind the fuckig "dude unclaimed hills lmao" meme. Fuck. My autism if flaring.

>not posting superior Eddison

Kek

it's fantasy fiction, not a description of real human history you retard

None of the kingdoms, except the elven ones, have a whole lot of trees in them. It could be unclaimed because the soil is bad for farming.

Or dangerous dragons and monsters live in that shit. Nobody wants to deal with that.

New Jersey still has the Pine Barrens and that's the most densely populated state in the US.

>Why burn trees when there are people who can make fire out of bat guano
Something obvious to do with the relative availability of trees compared to bat droppings.

Honestly I think the Stormlight Archive world is extremely interesting, cannot wait to see where it goes

Frick forgot my image

Dinotopia is the only fantasy map thats ever looked right to me
Everything else with impossible mountains and contours and costs just looks wrong. That shit should effect the environment, but it doesn't

While Dinotopia, the mountain range traps cloud coverage on one side, creating a desert on the other, and the rainfall on it feeds a river system

Based

>tfw no Spain

Fuck off Zionist, not your land.

>no earthsea map

I'll still by next game cause I love this world and can't abandon it.

:3c

>no high quality map of Randland
Why even live

>NotTheMiddleEast.jpg

Zamonia is best

No Saga of Recluce? Weak boys.

Can't post images because my phone is clogged but I like the Phantom Tollbooth map.

>(camels)

>snow barbarians
>ice barbarians
>frost barbarians
>Bandit Kingdoms
>The Great Kingdom
>North Province, South Province
What the fuck is this shit?

Forgot
>The Islands
Which are inhabited either by
>rough-n-tough warrior culture that lives by piracy rading the coastline
>rich, advanced, vaguely-exotic civilisation based on sea trade

Yeah, those maps are speculative tho, not provided in-story (and so have far less detail).

I love this one. Apparently Havnor is only supposed to be the size of England, so you have a kind of isolated Polynesian world unaware of any great landmasses.

The mainstream belief about human (pre)history is that modern humans spent 150,000 years over which the total technological advancement amounts to slightly sharper rocks.

Kek

>take 200.000 years to go from illiterate hunter-gatherers to simple agriculture
>6000 years later: a primitve battery and steam engine
>100 years later: first airplanes and radio
>50 years later: manned space missions and nuclear weapons

whats the best way to make a map if you cant draw for shit?

Ahh, this brings back memories.

anyone else read this back in school?

>The Dune Sea
Nigga this ain't fuckin Star Wars.

Witcher

You posted it.

the fuck

what sort of bullshit is this

>whats the best way to paint if you can't paint
hire someone. Also geographic knowledge might be helpful so the map makes at least a little bit of sense

Instantly knew it from the thumbnail. Some things never change

You don't need to be able to draw. It's just lines. Doesn't matter if it looks terrible. I mean. What do you want the map for? There's certainly map drawing software out there.

someone should writte something epic about this

any of you niggers remember this? Belgariad by David Eddings.
Used to read these books when I was a kid and I remember loving them. Had forgotten how shit the map was. Just spent 10 minutes looking it up because I couldn't recall anything about the series.

That's weird; you say it's not my land, but if I wanted to right now, I could have my own plot of land there with little effort. Strange.

excellent taste

The live action stuff was terrible.

What's this from?

made in abyss, an anime

>chinese colonies but japan controls siberia
wew lad, dont think theres a europe to save china in this universe

Cuz the British gave it to you, Bronstein. Might doesn't make right. It's even in the Torah that you can't make a Kingdom of Israel until YHWH says so.

Made in Abyss manga.
Pretty good desu

well done

>fin ass wold (world)

Objectively Tolkein

Definitely not the one you posted. Whoever drew it has no idea how lithosphere works.

For the time being.
Hezbollah will be marching into Jerusalem by the end of the 2050.

Yeah, but he just mostly copied the real world.

When your home country (Iceland) looks like a vomiting pig when it's upside down.

Is there anyone who doesn't?