Hey, Veeky Forums, opinions on this book? Heard a helluva lot about it, and it seems good...

Hey, Veeky Forums, opinions on this book? Heard a helluva lot about it, and it seems good, but I'm reading a newer version with an introduction and it's mentioned how the book challenges consumerist corporatist late capitalist culture or some shit tons of times. Is it just yet another example of shitty publishers adding unneeded and irrelevent fluff intros to classics or actually accurate?

Well Milo is everything that is wrong with capitalism personified. He's one of the funniest characters though.

Why does it matter? Does it hurt your feelings or something?

Just wanna know what I'm getting into desu
Alright, thanks. Gonna read this pretty much no matter what

it's accurate

i enjoyed it for a hundred pages or so, after that it felt like the same point/joke was being made over and over again and i got bored of it and stopped reading.

Because you expected the whole book to be funny.. the repetition has its purpose.
It shows how fucked up the war and military bureaucracy is. Thats when you're supposed to begin to understand that this is a sad book wrapped in humour.

This. When i realized this i picked it up again after getting bored of it. Really glad i did too because the ending was great.

Milo is everything right with capitalism desu commie cuck

The ending is worth it really pays off

>Killing your own friends and allies is "right"

>the book challenges consumerist corporatist late capitalist culture
don't worry bro, that's just a marketing gimmick to sell more copies to millenials. Milo is the best character except maybe Orr, whose enterprise is an amazing satire on capitalism

yeah, every time he goes back to Snowden bleeding his guts out, there's more detail and the flashbacks happen more frequently. Once Kid Sampson gets severed and Hungry Joe dies, it's pretty much pure horror

OP: great book, shitty sequel

Thanks for the info mates, pretty excited to read it now.

It's one of my favorite books. The last few chapters feel so desolate, and the story has one of the most fitting endings of anything I've read.

>reading the intro
ishygddt

any recs for books like this? not in content, but in underlying form in which the book ties and presents its ideas

So is the book supposed to have overt Marxist tones or is that just a deconstruction of the book that occurred after its publication?

Neither

I never finished it, but I can't recall any Marxist undertones. It is supposed to some form of critique of the ruling system, that probably includes capitalism.
Protip: anti-capitalism is not necessarily "Marxist", Marxism is just one particular analysis of captialism
To quote pic related, "capitalism is the problem"

Point Counter Point by Huxley is great. it skips around a lot even though the plot is linear. satirical content on par with Heller, though more highbrow. a good response to Anna Karenina. one of the only few "book-within-a-book" motifs too. I would gladly fuck lucy tantamount

>listening to a pagan LARPer
You're not wrong, criticism of capitalism can be devoid of flawed Marxist presuppositions, but for some reason some can't seem to let it go and it remains pervasive.

I'd say whatever proper Capitalist criticism will also offer a proper solution not based on incorrect premises.

>I'd say whatever proper Capitalist criticism will also offer a proper solution not based on incorrect premises.
Are you suggesting Catch-22 is supposed to be a complete critique of capitalism?

No.

Well what are you refuting?

That any criticism of capitalism is necessarily Marxist