Does this thing have any redeeming literary value...

Does this thing have any redeeming literary value, or is it just the worthless superstition of a goat-fucking desert tribe?

>or is it just the worthless superstition of a goat-fucking desert tribe?

Trying a little too hard there, eh, buckoo?

>Does this thing have any redeeming literary value
Yes
Any more questions?

Read Job, Psalms, and the Gospel of John
Don’t return to this thread until you do

I read the sermon on the mount in Matthew from time to time. It's interesting how at odds its values are from modern western society - encouraging us not to be vengeful, not to flaunt acts of charity, to pray in private rather than in public displays, not to be litigious or quarrel with family members, not to mind the clothes you wear and the food you eat, or about the future ('tomorrow will worry about itself')

Great books of the Bible

you should read them in the KJV. not the most accurate translation, but it has a certain literary quality that i think is lost in more modern translations

1 Then the Lord answered Job out of the whirlwind, and said,
2 Who is this that darkeneth counsel by words without knowledge?
3 Gird up now thy loins like a man; for I will demand of thee, and answer thou me.
4 Where wast thou when I laid the foundations of the earth? declare, if thou hast understanding.
5 Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?
6 Whereupon are the foundations thereof fastened? or who laid the corner stone thereof;
7 When the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy?
8 Or who shut up the sea with doors, when it brake forth, as if it had issued out of the womb?
9 When I made the cloud the garment thereof, and thick darkness a swaddlingband for it,
10 And brake up for it my decreed place, and set bars and doors,
11 And said, Hitherto shalt thou come, but no further: and here shall thy proud waves be stayed?
12 Hast thou commanded the morning since thy days; and caused the dayspring to know his place;
13 That it might take hold of the ends of the earth, that the wicked might be shaken out of it?
14 It is turned as clay to the seal; and they stand as a garment.
15 And from the wicked their light is withholden, and the high arm shall be broken.
16 Hast thou entered into the springs of the sea? or hast thou walked in the search of the depth?
17 Have the gates of death been opened unto thee? or hast thou seen the doors of the shadow of death?
18 Hast thou perceived the breadth of the earth? declare if thou knowest it all.
19 Where is the way where light dwelleth? and as for darkness, where is the place thereof,
20 That thou shouldest take it to the bound thereof, and that thou shouldest know the paths to the house thereof?

>basic aesceticism
Wow, only God himself could have comee up with that

It's alright but definitely has some a few goats.

>not reading the obviously superior text

God will never command you to pick up your weapon and slaughter the enemy to bring about the new age. Why live?

If you ever wondered where Tolkien ACTUALLY got his inspiration. Take a look.

>inb4 poo

great passage
>aesceticism
[sic]
too funny that the alt-right has given up on reviving Odinism and has decided that Hinduism is the True Aryan Religion.

>Not understanding the concept of Universal Truth.
>calls me alt right

The alt-right is almost entirely atheist, but among the alt-right pagans, they've made the switch from Odinism to Hinduism over the last year or so. It's mostly been driven by weev, who is 100% Hindu (undoubtedly a bastardized, too-wrong-to-even-be-heretical kind of Hinduism. Unless you're Indian, it's 50/50 whether you're Hare Krishna or alt-right. That's assuming you even believe what it says. If you don't even believe what it says, you've memed yourself because if you strip away its spiritual context, it's total nonsense.

>weev
Hahahaha

Read up on some Julius Evola boy. Or some Savitri Devi. Miguel Serrano. Rene Guenon.
>fucking weev

Tell it to your alt-right amigos. Also funny how right-wing """"Hindus"""""" and """""pagans""""" will never admit that they don't actually believe in the gods they talk about. You try to pin them down and at most you'll get some pseudo-Jungian archetype nonsense.

I don't speak for the faggots in the alt-right.
Bunch of Godless degens.

currently on proverbs, will keep reading it cover2cover, but if I want to read just 1 gospel right now, which should I read and why?

of course. the alt-right is passé. Richard Spencer is a fag and TRS are too friendly to homos and Mike Enoch is a jew amirite. do you believe that the Hindu gods are real tho

Yes

As for your Jungian archetype...

which ones?

nah boi, Douay-Rheims

KJV if you're a heretic

Was that you saying that you’re a Jungian Hindoo? (Lol) every time

I honestly dont know how you can truly appreciate any great western literature without an understanding of subliminal themes and metaphors

the wikipedia page about this book is 8550 words long and has 116 references

it's 2700 years old, and was found in 981 different pieces, in 12 separate caves, 5 different languages, written on parchment, papyrus, animal skins, and one on copper.

They were written in mercury sulfide and soot from oil candle lamps using reed pens.

its neither. No, its not really that interesting as literature. It has its moments but a vast majority of it is bloated, moralizing and inconsequential. It also has its moments of pantsu-on-head retardation (the Samson arc). Its probably worth reading Ecclesiastes and Job. That's about it if you're not interested in religious matters.

Ecclesiastes and Job are retarded if you don't believe the scriptures. Literally incoherent nonsense if God isn't as the scriptures reveal Him to be.

>Christfags actually believe this

What does an atheist get from Ecclesiastes?

Now's your chance, explain the secular worth of Ecclesiastes. Be a big-brained atheist.

one of the earliest examples of profound existential pessimism and general introspection.

I'm not an atheist but maybe I wish I was. It might help me sleep a little better

actually I'll correct this language to "cynicism"

I will (unironically) pray that your sleep gets better, I know how hard that can be. Not sure what that picture is, but I'll go out on a limb and guess it's gnostic. Do you know who promoted Elaine Pagels's work and why? Something to look into if you really want to "wake up"/"be illumined" .

I just think God is 'avin' a giggle.

More like propaganda of a goat-fucking desert kingdom.

same as any piece of slash lit

you didnt get passed the first 10 lines did you ya silly goose

I corrected the language for a reason fella

no you dont understand, read the whole book then come back

Ecclesiastes is a pamphlet. I think the problem is you don't know what cynicism is.

I want the false flagging CIAnigger to leave.

He's right, read all of it, only the beginning is whiny

If youve never read them read matthew

Normally i'd recommend reading:
First 5 of OT (Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deut)
Then all 4 gospels + Acts
Then Job

Then go back and read everything again cover to cover. This way you at least have a taste for New Testament when you get to the prophets section in OT, which can be quite tiring if you don't know what theyre talking about

some stories in it are awesome, but a lot of it can understandably seen as preachy.

whiny =/= cynical. denunciating every major facet of human existence traditionally considered important does however.

it's commie shit

What was false in those posts?

If you have any interest in western literature (you don't, do you) you need to have at least some familiarity with both books of the Bible.

both of the 66 books? How will I ever do it?

Start with genesis, move on to exodus, then ball up the next 64 and feed them up your ass you insufferable prick.

>inb4 immediate catholic-larper damage control

love spivey

>if a man will not work, he shall not eat
commies don't like the Bible

to be fair he had a good point. Its one thing to call the Bible a book, which it even is in one sense. Its completely dumb to call the old and new testaments 2 separate books.

>By each according to his abilities

I've literally never read Das Kapital but what the literal fuck are you doing?

Didn't he steal from Wagner?

humm that sounds interesting. Yeah I've always been anxious to get to the NT, maybe doing that will motivate me even more
thanks

You are simply a brainlet if you think the bible has no literary value.

The Bible has roots in ancient Egyptian, Mesopotamian, Greek, and Roman culture (and many more throughout its later revisions). Its authors compiled/adapted/preserved some of the oldest stories, wisdom, and oral traditions known to mankind.

It is also one of the most widely read and influential texts in the world in countless ways.

It is an extraordinary literary accomplishment whatever way you look at it.

>just the worthless superstition of a goat-fucking desert tribe

Wew

Also yes, it's literally the most influential book on the planet. Even if it's lacking in literary style, the substance is incredibly interesting.

the DRA is imo the best vernacular translation (in terms of accuracy/study value) and it's actually the version i own physically, but I still like the KJV. i feel that there's something in the king james that is lacking from other translations. might be my upbringing as a baptist (recently began conversion to the Roman Catholic Church)