Is there a Guide to Starting with Psychology?

Is there a Guide to Starting with Psychology? If not, would you please recommend some books for getting into psychology?

Yeah, it's called the Greek Tragedies

aka

>START
>WITH
>THE
>GREEKS

/thread

Psychology is 95% fraud, narcissism, charlatanism, government subsidized behavioral control, you name it. Not to say it isn't worth studying and interesting, but keep in mind that psychology is more or less the practice of categorizing human behavior according to the needs of society.

i'm no good with gimp/photoshop but here's a good list of assorted things in roughly chronological order (by author)

kierkegaard

>either/or
>sickness unto death
>fear and trembling

nietzsche

>birth of tragedy
>genealogy of morals
>BG&E

freud

>ego and the id
>interpretation of dreams
>civilization and its discontents

jung

>man and his symbols
>psychology of the unconscious
>archetypes and collective unconscious

piaget

>play, dreams and imitation
>moral judgment of a child
>psychology of intelligence

frankl

>will to meaning
>man's search for meaning

rollo may

>love and will
>the meaning of anxiety

carl rodgers

>a way of being
>on becoming a person

alan watts

>psychology east & west
>the wisdom of insecurity

sapolsky

>behave
>why zebras don't get ulcers

omitted adler, fromm, lacan, neumann, the behaviorists (skinner, pavlov, etc), most neuroscientists and other related persons due to lack of personal knowledge on their material

there's probably someone who can hook you up with recs for those but this is the basis of clinical therapy and individual psychology

Thanks a lot!

Reading threads like this makes me realize that what Veeky Forums calls "psychology" has very little to do with the actual science of psychology as practiced in university research departments and private labs.
Psychology as a science is responsible for discovering the material (read: discoverable and analyzable by positivist means) basis of human behaviour.
So if you're curious about e.g. how your linguistic knowledge is represented in the mind, that's psychology (and now that brains are easier to play with these days, you can also focus on the specifically neural basis of linguistic representation, which would make you a neuroscientist)

no problem

>kierkegaard
>nietzsche

existentialist philosophers. they preceded psychology. yeah, william james made it a thing it but not as much of his stuff has weight anymore

kierkegaard dealt with the issues of angst, anxiety and dread, mostly. he doubled as a protestant theologian, and faith/belief carries a big tone in his works
nietzsche dealt a lot with value structures (hierarchies of morality, if you will) and how that factored into human behavior

>freud
>jung
>piaget

piaget dealt with child psych mostly, but since everyone is a kid, it's hard not to glance it over
freud and jung tried to wrangle with the problems of the unconscious and laid heavy groundwork for symbolic behavior interpretation (dreams, art, literature, etc)
they both had similar starting points but come to very different conclusions

>rodgers
>frankl
>may

rodgers and to an extent may are basically responsible for what clinical therapy is today.
viktor frankl helped kickstart existential psychology which both influenced the above and has some cool insights into behavior

>alan watts

he's helping bridge the culture gap between two very different ways of conceptualizing the world. he isn't a psychologist, but neither is kierkegaard

>sapolsky

primate guy and biologist who approaches behavior in a witty and succinct manner. recent, plus a harder science than the above. spoiler alert: stress can literally kill you and you're not fully in control of you.

hope this primer helps

good stuff. are you a psychology student? i'm applying for a five year psych program next fall and would love to hear someone's experience.

We like to roleplay as if this was the timeline where the practice of psychoanalysis is taught in universities.

Neuroscience grad

>Kierkegaard
Not psych
>Nietzsche
Not psych
>Freud
Not real psych
>Jung
Not real psych

If you want to know what psychology really is pick up any basic textbook on psychology or neuroscience. If med psych is interesting to you pick up the dsm. After reading a basic textbook look up foundational research papers on psychological and neurscientific discoveries. If you want an easy book on some basic neurological ideas: Accidental Mind How Brain Evolution Has Given Us Love, Memory, Dreams, and God

Note that I disagree with Linden's premise very much though.

drop your best recs

props to Alan Watts recommendations

I'd like to add
Ernest Becker - The Denial of Death (you know that thing you always wanted to do because it was your life purpose or some shit but you never got around to it, yeah fuck that thing)

Eric Berne - Games people Play

Kierkegards concept of Anxiety is dense but it'll help erase any anxiety you feel once you realize the concept is a meme,

The Charisma myth is a bit business school but worth a punt too

Neil Strauss - The Game, a bunch of autists draw from a bunch of different fields including psychology in order to get laid, some get really good at it, others go nuts

Careful with Peterson and any of the "muh ARCHETYPES crowd" it takes guile to see why they're bullshitting and if you don't have that you may get sucked in never to come out again, I'm certain 95% of Peterson fanboys never read the Heros journey

>evolution
okay sure lol

What Erich Fromm is worth reading? Already picking up the Art of Loving.

you're welcome

cited papers across the whole of the 20th century would certainly disagree with you.

also see also if you think that biological reductionist approaches to behavior are the way to go then see my comment about peterson dronelets.

nice recs btw

>alan watts
is a good man

Denial of Death is good
Concept of Anxiety and Work of Love by soren k are both good literatures

>peterson dronelets
you can't have a dogmatic absolute for literally everything, but if they actually watched him they know this

campbell, jbp, and neumann are of a different strain than others. even from jung, to an extent. if you're not into mytho-religious stuff then don't bother. they are way more specialized in a sense

>dropping names like Nietzsche without pointing out how easily misunderstood his writing can be

Why do brainlets persist in doing this? What part of OPs request for an entry-level guide is too profound? And yet I'm to believe you understand Nirtzsche, Freud, Jung, Piglett, et c. Yeah, okay.

OP, kindly look up Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs. Literally, high-school AP Psych, if not Psych 101. You'll find it's the class half of Veeky Forums missed out on.

>recommending a Jew
kek

get a degree, or buy a textbook. Everything else is larping

none of that is psychology lmao. It's all art and philosophy.

Why does psychology have such a bad rep Veeky Forums? It seems like there’s a large portion of people who think it’s bullshit. I’m currenty in grad school for behavioral analysis, it’s pretty tite

drop recs with hard science behind them

>throwing out the research into the unconscious

dude rationalism lmao

The discipline occupies a strange space overlapping between science, the arts, and medicine.

There will be cognitive psych cucks who ignore the unconscious because it doesn't make rational sense.

There will be crystal-waving Jungian navel gazers who ignore hard evidence because muh feels.

There will be lazy psychs who think pills are the solution to every problem. Brother died? Take pills because you're depressed, ignoring that being sad in response to a relative dying is a normative response to be worked through normally.

Coming to a workable consensus between these three (oversimplified) branches of psychology intimidates brainlets, so they think their pet branch is the only valid approach psychology, and STEM types look at the whole field and autistically decide that it's a psuedo-discipline.

Also, social psych ruined the field's reputation.

>There will be lazy psychs who think pills are the solution to every problem

where i'm from the difference between psychologists and psychiatrists are that psychiatrists can medicate you. isn't it like that everywhere? seems odd that someone educated in psychology would be allowed to give out prescriptions. here you can only become a psychiatrist after finishing med school.

I made a gross oversimplification, but there will be psychologists who will refer you to get pills.

don't