Top three philosophical works that have had the greatest impact on your life. Good or bad

>Top three philosophical works that have had the greatest impact on your life. Good or bad.
>And why.

>Thus Sprache Zarathustra
Ruined my life
>Sickness unto Death
Saved my life
>Phenomenology of Spirit
Really made me think

Similar feel user

Beyond Good & Evil
I started doing coke, drinking hard, stopped reading and was depersonalized by this book desu. Read it after my dad passed.
>Either/Or
Realized Nietzsche was woefully incomplete and shallow compared K. Loved the second section and sobered me up.
>Basic Writings of Martin Heidegger
It makes me happy thinking about Being

>Schuon -The Transcendent Unity of Religions (amongst others)
drove me towards nihilism
>Jünger - The Adventurous Heart
pulled me back out, revived my passion and affirmation of life
>Nietzsche - The Will to Power
gave me shape, structure, and strength

the world as will and representation
critique of pure reason
confessions of st. augustine

is phenomenology of spirit acutally good? schopenhauer spent the entire book shit talking him

Schopenhauer is a little bitch boy

Constructing the World

>Schuon -The Transcendent Unity of Religions (amongst others)
>drove me towards nihilism
How?

philosophical investigations
cartesian meditations
ethics

>Fear and Trembling
Completely changed the way I thought and made me go from a nondenominational, nonpracticing Christian to a weekly church attending Catholic
>Meditations on First Philosophy
Made me completely question what we can know and how. It also made me generally skeptical about pretty much everything.
>Nicomachean Ethics
Made me rethink my ethical viewpoints completely and reframe my actions. This made me more motivated in general and I started putting what I thought was the right thing to do into practice. It also really helped mature my Catholic faith.

>Completely changed the way I thought and made me go from a nondenominational, nonpracticing Christian to a weekly church attending Catholic

Or: how to completly misunderstand Kierkegaard

I understand Kierkegaard's views on church organization pretty well. I just disagree with him on that subject and his writings helped me come to that conclusion.

> t. G.W.F. Hegel

>Harry Potter series
Gave me joy and happiness
>Star Wars comic books
Helps me understand modern politics
>Game of Thrones (books) series
Fills the void

>helpful:
plato
berkeley
kant
augustine

>strange:
hegel
heidegger

>harmed:
anglos
aristotle

Loving the Kierkegaard ITT!

>Plato's Symposium
Made me reframe my ethics in light of Eros, also is just a profound work on which to reflect.
>Philosophical Investigations
Where to begin? I love its insistence viewing philosophy as therapy, a theme that goes back to Plato.
>The Sickness Unto Death
It's hard to choose from K, but this was the work that cut me most to the quick. With Kierk, I'm always horrified at how much of myself is on the page.

What did you find helpful about Berkeley?

Have you read The Concept of Anxiety? I'm finding it difficult to wade through although I've read Training in Christianity and Fear and Trembling.

I'll just name one, because it is currently the most relevant: Kevin MacDonald.

His breakdown of how foreign peoples with high ingroup/tribal preference undermine the well being of their host nation has helped put a lot of the western world's problems in perspective.

How can you read his books without getting frustrated? I fell for the meme and bought Culture of Critique, and all I have to show for it is higher blood pressure.

now you understand why most people don't know more about these subjects, and in some cases actively avoid it and shame people who have the courage to go down the rabbit hole.
Why invest your time and energy into something that is overwhelmingly negative that you cannot make positive?

I wish the alt-right would stop dragging this man's work through the mud by constantly associating themselves with him.

KMac is a fuckin saint. It's amazing that he was able to pull off what he did in the late-20th century US academy. His work will have major repercussions in the near future.

The present-day West is pretty fucked. We knew about Jews for millennia! But they bullshit so voluminously that recent generations have somehow been bamboozled. APTSDA is essential for cutting to the core of what Judaism is and why it functions the way it does.

Also if you don't keep up with The Occidental Observer, wtf are you doing with your life? Do you know how lucky we are that something this truthful is legal?

Uh, he intentionally associated himself with David Duke. Nobody dragged him along for the ride, he climbed on board as soon as the car arrived.

Whose Justice, Which Rationality by Alsadair MacIntyre
Summa Contra Gentiles by st. Thomas Aquinas
Essay on Development of Christian Doctrine by John Henry Newman

All three were influences in becoming a Trad Catholic, which is my philosophical and spiritual focus right now.

Nope. He was forced into these fringe groups as a last resort. He had trouble making a living after he was fired and widely denounced for crime-think.

He can easily see it like Hannah Arendt- Kierkegaard being the last step to atheism and reject it.

placing my source of value outside the world led to a phase of intense life-denial that took a lot of mental house cleaning to overcome

not that I blame Schuon, Guenon, Coomaraswamy etc. for that - they write quite brilliantly, I still revisit that stuff from time to time out of nostalgia

KMac has proudly donned the mantle of a spokesman of the Alt-Right.

If you mean that some of the less intelligent and more vocal shitposters out there refer to his work a lot, OK yeah. That's why KMac himself says
>unless you have an IQ over 120 and have read widely in the area, don't speak publicly on the JQ.
Which is wise. Jews are smarter than the average White. The conflict is between the judenpresse and the White elite; Joe Sixpack, while a good and sturdy White man, is not going to contribute to these discussions.

Also--and maybe I'll have to be the one to write it up?--late Nietzsche, particularly The Antichrist, has a helluva lot in common with what KMac talks about. In short, Jewish mind control. Nietzsche's descriptions of Jewish cultural-intellectual strategies:
>the simulation of decadence
>lying in a holy manner
>survival bought at the cost of the falsification of all reality
>inversion of values
Which is why good ol' Freddy Nitch is the most important philosopher for me. The first essay of the Genealogy of Morals broke my mind wide open and freed me from the leftist death-cult

They successfully memed The Phantom of the Holocaust being around the corner of every authentic right-wing movement.

I personally think there is enough "anti-Semitic" material to work with on the left that would make KMac's material somewhat palatable. Unfortunately, the far right has claimed them for themselves

What are you guys talking about? For one, David Duke is great and right about everything, secondly, where's the source on KMac being fired? As far as I know he was a tenured professor who retired and he became a White nationalist in the course of his research on Jews. Also less a joiner than a founder--yes he joined the American Freedom Party, but he founded The Occidental Observer, which is the best explicitly WN publication going right now.

I'm glad he spoke at a recent IHR event, although IHR has been defanged for like a decade. He's at least talking about history now, which is vital. Everything Kevin MacDonald says about peoples having different interests could be true and yet Jews will go
>but what about muh holocaust
>what about muh four billion killed at Bethar by the Romans
>what about muh babies thrown into Moloch's belly
Jewish moral exceptionalism is based on Jewish pseudohistory; we gotta take on this monster eventually, although I understand why KMac sidestepped it in his major works, it's a huge project.

My man. His shit is kino-core

What is this "anti-Semitic" material? Black nationalist stuff? Pro-Palestinian? Anti-capitalist/consumerist?

Honestly I don't put much stock in right/left anymore. I think the world is divided up into peoples and you want yours strong and unified. When this is threatened, tax rates and levels of gov't regulation are small potatoes.

I thought Veeky Forums was basically a subreddit of Veeky Forums. Where did all these nazis come from? mods?

Veeky Forums and /pol/ merged sometime after the election

Demonstrated the importance of understanding the process of how a philosophical question becomes that kind of question.
>Critique of Pure Reason
Introduced me to real philosophy. Turned out to be a treatise exactly about all the sorts of things I was thinking about prior to reading it. Journeying through its labyrinthine structure was an intellectual wake up call and inspiration. We should all thank Kant for the rewarding drudgery that must have been the process of writing that book.
>Capital
A book structured exactly the way I think; not its content wholly, but almost an uncanny idealization of how I look at the world.

Honorable mentions:
>Putnam, Frege, Russell

Dishonorable mentions:
>Heidegger
The anti-Wittgenstein, makes obscure the most basic of human observations. Is completely enamored with his "discovery" that humans are going to die and live in a cosmic desert. An uncreative mystic and pseudo philosopher of the academic bourgeois.
>Sartre
Completely retarded and wrote about what should be completely obvious to anyone with a brain. Unnecessary to the history of philosophy, worse than Heidegger.

is Veeky Forums beyond hope? I still get kernels of brilliance and great recommendations, but I feel like I'm wading through a pile of steamy diarrhea to get there.

>he doesn't know the based wallace expert sometimes browses Veeky Forums

Maybe make some contributions yourself then you whiny bitch

Atlas Shrugged taught me that it's ok to value myself
Being and Nothingness taught me to take existential responsibility for my actions
The Plague taught me to keep fighting even when it's pointless

Other philosophical books may be better than these, but I read these youngest in life so it's only natural they had the most impact.

Can we autoban mass repliers? mods?

why don't you make me fucboi?

Fighting against what ?

>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

lol get fucked

Word dude. How does this ass even know that "nazis" are so bad? Needs a pinch of argument, going by my taste.

The poz-mind is a very young, very contingent, very flimsy thing. It knows it cannot last long without thought control.

Plague

Serious question: Why do you faggots come here when reddit already has everything you want?

I hope this post is bait, you're an unironic fucking retard

>Whose Justice, Which Rationality
Turned me into a Thomist
Never looked at language the same
>The World as Will and Representation
Got me into philosophy after being a Marxist, but eventually rejected its central theses (though I still have great respect for Schopenhauer)

favorite

It's not bait. I even explain myself in the post.

It doesn't matter, the lesson is generalizable.

>On certainty
I now autistically explain things now to be as clear as possible
>The Annalects
I'm overly polite to my seniors
>The philosophical dictionary
I feel closer to the enlightenment now

I also read a bit of Nietzsche, and his description on our need to have a strong will to overpower things have had a real impact on me.

user can you expand upon Nietzsche being incomplete and shallow compared to K. Background: I'm halfway through the second part of Either/Or myself and I'm loving it.

>Epictetus and Seneca
Obvious reasons
>Montaigne and Schopenhauer's essays
Perfect follow-up to stoicism. Schopenhauer addresses it more harshly but you can tell he grappled with it, even if 100% stoicism turns you into a wooden post.
>Aristotle - Nicomachean Ethics

He explained he read them when he was young and thus they had the most effect on him
he doesn't necessarily hold them in high regard anymore

>Schopenhauer - On the Suffering of this World, On the Vanity of Existence, other assorted works
Justified my chaste hedonism and further eliminated my capacity for grief, anger, and joy, allowing greater contentment

>Mishima - Confessions of a Mask
Related to another human on the topic of love/sex for the first time and embraced aestheticism

>Aristotle - Nicomachean Ethics
Sorted myself out and gave me a framework for moral preaching

>Communist Manofesto
>bad
>I live in California

>Golden Sayings of Epictetus
Good; it was my first introduction to Stoic thought
>The Fountainhead/Anthem
Good; had to read the latter in high school. Both inspired within me a sense of individualism that I still hold on to
>On Liberty by Mill
Good; it helped me formulate my own ideas about liberty and governance.

all my nichomachean niggas got me speakin koine

Schopenhauer is up there for me too but idk if i would call it chaste hedonism. I'd say something more like a wavering or realistic stoicism (especially when it comes to General Rules, Ages of Life, Personality, and Property).

By hedonism I mean choosing to do things that make you feel good with your primary justification being that it makes you feel good. I tend to take pleasure from things that have a long term benefit such as music, art, literature, or just plain knowledge, as opposed to transitory pleasures. However, my main motivation is the pleasure, not the development, so I would call myself a hedonist.

Have you read him before? His entire oeuvre only touches upon the realm of the aesthete, while never even having a Johannes Climacus moment with a woman. And the remember the chapter on Mozart? N's treatise on music is only about why he admired then hated Wagner. He's the negative, while life affirming, philosopher. K was capable of dialectical prose with heavy argumentation and still life affirming.

Bhagavad Gita (made me nicer)
Tao Te Ching (chill)
Enquiry concerning human understanding (most important)

>The books that turned me into a cuck

Stay shit Pajhit

oh, in that case then I see what you mean, but I don't see how Schopenhauer would justify doing it for the pleasure, at least especially in his essays.

I guess I get caught up in the terms and have not read them enough. Both Nietzsche and Kierkegaard are "life affirming" to me (at least Zarathustra, On the Future of our Educational Institutions, and On Schopenhauer, which all tell us to rejoice).

I said he's life affirming as well, down to his last works which are my favorite (Ecce Homo, will to power)

>gave me a framework for moral preaching

I know this is bait but there are probably so many people like this and it actually warms my heart.

>kybalion
>mundus millennialis
>verbe nature

That's called compassion my dude.

>Star Wars comic taught me modern politics

This is how you b8