Is there any canonical work about someone who achieved financial freedom and tries to pursuit something exciting and...

Is there any canonical work about someone who achieved financial freedom and tries to pursuit something exciting and new?

I'm in this situation and I'm quite young but don't know what to do next.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=1Md288oK46A
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

american psycho

So I just should start killing random people? Sounds fair.

I would recommend living in a different country. It is like drugs but sober, if that makes sense. Everything is a first experience and new, even if you've done them millions of times in your own country. You will truly find yourself. Particularly china, korea, japan, and taiwan. If you have wealth to support yourself, try to see how long it take to support yourself in a foreign country without using your newfound wealth. Possibly washing dishes, teaching english, photography, acting / modeling (if your white in China) It's eye opening. I've lived in 3 countries like that and each time was a new life, I was a new person. Reinventing yourself is hard. I was self sufficient in China in 1 month. and living better than English teachers in 3 months. I was banned from China for overstaying Visa for 10 years. I lived there for 5 years on a 90 day visa. Best time of my life.

Is this the bitcoin bragging thread

That sounds exciting. Maybe I'll try this, although I have this great desire to create something with my life. I'd rather live in an ethical than aesthetic modus, but I lack ideas...

Exactly.

>but I lack ideas...
I have no end of things I want to create (And have the requisite skill to produce) but don't have the time or energy to do because I'm strangled by the need to work some soul sucking job. Feel free to pass your weighty burden onto someone else.

Unironically study every world religion.

Thomas Mann’s "Felix Krull" fits well, though it doesn’t go on for very long after financial freedom has been achieved. (Not because the story ends there, but because Mann did not finish it.)

You might also try books that feature wealthy bored aristocrats as protagonists (À rebours / Against the Grain being a famous one) thought they are bound to be rather melancholic, and of course these aristocrats were born financially independent, they did not achieve it.

Another fine, but rather melancholic, book on this topic is "You Shall Know Our Velocity", wherein the protagonist tries to blast through 40,000 dollars in a week, by going on a world tour with his friend.

The Count of Monte Cristo is the obvious one
W. Somerset Maugham's "The Razor's Edge" (kind of)

Spot me 20?

>achieved financial freedom and tries to pursuit something exciting and new
Thinking this over, I don’t believe you’ll find a positive take on this situation in literature.
You can find plenty of inspiring traveling accounts (to name but a few authors: Chatwin, Jünger, Krasznahorkai) that implicitly presume a nice budget.
But in a novel, a situation like yours is bound to continue in "protagonist cannot escape the dullness of his own existence, even with all the newfound money." You know, if the protagonist succeeded, it just wouldn’t be worth writing about. Only in a kind of comedy like Felix Krull it can make sense -- but even then, Felix Krull does not seek wealth because his live lacks excitement (it has plenty of that), but because he’s gay and likes shiny things tbqh.

So here’s a few more books, featuring melancholic wealthy protagonists:
Map and Territory (Houellebecq): Protagonist finds huge success as an artist, goes on to do mostly nothing, and create some more art.
The Great Gatsby: Gatsby is very rich, but he cannot get the woman he loves.
Wittgenstein’s Nephew (Bernhard): An account of the life of Paul Wittgenstein, nephew of Ludig Wittgenstein, from the perspective of his friend Thomas Bernhard. Paul burns through his inheritance (the Wittgenstein’s are a very wealthy Austrian family), orders Champagne for breakfast, loves car racing and the opera.

And another comedy:
El congreso de literatura (Aira, not translated into English): Aira becomes very rich by finding a hidden treasure, proceeds to build clone labs with that money, in order to clone Carlos Fuentes. Very silly book.

Thanks you so much! That's a fine reading list.

It's apparent that wealth and melancholy is a common theme in literature. On the other hand, wealth and the pursuit of happiness isn't. Maybe this won't show me what to do but rather what NOT to do. That's a good a start for sure. The biggest issue for me in this situation is the feeling of guilt and I guess that's also the (unconscious) reason many people end up in this kind of melancholy.

Join these guys:

youtube.com/watch?v=1Md288oK46A

Almost every canonical work from early modern times onwards is about that, on a meta-level

What if you don't have financial security? How do you achieve it?

>>Veeky Forums
(Don’t get tricked into buying LINK though.)

I just watched the whole thing. Holy moly!

>A E S T H E T I C
>E
>S
>T
>H
>E
>T
>I
>C

aesthetic as a dying fish

How rich are you OP? I’ll tell you my dream if I was in your position and maybe it will give you ideas.

>move to a wealthy European country, one of the Scandinavian ones or Switzerland would be my choice, but I could see France or Italy being cool too.
>Live in one of the major cities, my dream is Zürich or Geneva.
>Learn the language as fluently as possible, correct grammar and writing skills, pay for lessons with a dialect coach to try to have as little of an accent as I possibly can muster.
>Pick up a part time job, something easy that will serve mainly to slow down slightly the bleeding from my bank account, but mainly for me to get out and meet people and be out of my home. A barista or working at a bookstore would be my preference if I’m allowed to be choosy.
>Either: pay my way through university at a leisurely pace, part time or least amount of credits possible, I’m not sure how European university works. Study something like Psychology, Architecture, or Mathematics. Going at a slow pace should help me get better marks. OR, start learning a trade, become a craftsman, like a jeweler or carpenter.
>Join a church that has a strong community of moral people who are racially homogenous whites. High church preferably.
>Try to become a citizen.
>Marry a beautiful white European woman.
>live happily ever after and maybe move to the country in my middle age where I will raise my children on a farm.

That sounds pretty stupid.