Boring moments in acclaimed books

I have never read something so enthralling and masterfully written as the two chapters where Levin mows the lawn.

Yeah, the 70 pages of Raskolnikov lying in bed and people around him talking comes to mind. But I think every big book (500+ pages) has these issues, there isn't a single novel that's quality gold through and through.

The catalog of ships in book 2 of the Iliad

Which chapter are those btw ? Would read again.

Blood Meridian

Somewhere around chapter 75

Moby Dick, you know which chapters.

Fuck off back to rebbit and die

I was just thinking today how the criticism of ‘it’s boring’ or ‘nothing happens’ that usually is thrown at movies doesn’t really work on books.

And then I find this thread

dante in the fat people hell ring

When the guy is at work in Ulysses.

You mean when Bloom is at the newspaper? I found that part interesting because Stephen is there too and people are talking to him.

Tom Bombadil.

Why wouldn't it work for books? It seems like it works in every medium

lolita

why does he go on and on about motels and other dumb shit ugh

After like 20 pages of lull.

I'd much rather hear about whale blubber in autistic detail than some pseudonymous faggot bumfucking a cannibal.

Because the entire point of Lolita is Nabokov's prose.

If everything was relevant to the plot it would be too predictable

Pretty much all of Dosto's books have this 100 page character set-up

>Numbers
I get it. There were tons of semites.

That part of Les Miserables where Hugo interrupts a chase scene to THOROUGHLY describe the history of the sewers of Paris for 50 pages. Although by that point you're used to Hugo's rambling and he's sort of become that adorable grandpa that never stops talking about pointless things.

The four chapters starting with A Bower in the Arsacides get pretty tedious. Rest of the book is flawless though

Most of The Trial

teen thread

No, that was the best part!

The 60 or so pages in 1984 when Winston is reading fictional non-fiction. Boring as fuck until it gets to the end about the actual party itself

die yank

I don’t know. I just assumed when you read a book you are not looking for ‘things to happen’ but rather to experience the whole thing

That's literally the most interesting part of the book

1984 was not Orwell's best work.

The mourning and graveyard scene aren't too interesting either, and Eumaues is purposefully sleepy.

This is definitely a thing. I just started Demons and I must be about 120 pages in and I've gotten nothing but exposition and backstory...

die teen

What's all this teen shit. Fuck off.

agreed, teens get out of Veeky Forums

Why is everybody so angry at this thread???

it's a really bad thread

This. Reading it now. Seriously, half the book is Raskolnikov trying to get people out of his room.

I've read The Brothers Karamazov four times but I always zone out during the trial sequence. I understand that he was trying to parody the retarded courtroom drama genre, but "everyone's a rambling idiot" gets old very quickly, to the point where I feel it really cheapens Ivan's breakdown and Katerina's testimony at the end.
I didn't mind the encyclopedia parts since they were at least educational and gave me a greater understanding of the whales that were so central. My issue was when they kept making contact with other ships and nothing would ever happen, seemed like a repetitive waste of time after the first one.

The chapter listing all the treasures Dorian Grey has.

I mean, it's called the book of Numbers and it delivers.

Pleb filter