What do you think about Blood meridian?

What do you think about Blood meridian?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=TIQynsWpBpQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Great, but too bad it's the only McCarthy work Veeky Forums ever talks about.

it wuz gud. u?

I enjoyed it but I don't feel I got much out of it. It's clear Cormac wishes he was writing Moby Dick.

I think because have a ambiguous ending,and a well developed character.

Literally almost all of his works have ambiguous endings. And in all honesty McCarthy is not that good at character. The closest thing he got to a complete character was Suttree.

>not good at character
>Judge is one of best villains in literature

There is no psychology to the judge. He's more a force than a character.

>Force
>not a character
>no psychology
wut

>Judge
>a villain
Wew, sure is reddit in here.

yes

Why did judge give kidman naked hugs at end?
Were they good hugs or bad?
These questions haunt me.

Prove me wrong

>pedophile
>give hugs
bad

It's either supposed to be symbolic, I remember the judge had some other relation with an idiot, was it a card?

That or Cormac's just mimicing the way Ahab took Pip to his side in the final days of his madness. (spoilers)

Judge always felt inhuman to me - like he was a force of nature.
Subjectively negative - both for the reader and the book's characters but not evil same as you would not characterise death or time as malign.
I pretty much agree with Especially on the psychology point which imo serves to further dehumanise him.

He squeezed that boy into jelly.

What was up with the epilogue? Was it symbolic of good triumphing over evil? (As in pouring fire into the holes)

He embodied the creative violence of civilization.
He is dancing, dancing.

He’s morally neutral. Neither good nor evil, he just is.

>Talks about war,laws,language
>kills,rape
Force of nature
Neutral?
nah,just devil in sheep

What was the symbolism behind the card scene? What did each card mean in relation to each character.

he was though.

Would not say he was a villain but certainly an antagonist.

All of Glanton gang was bad.

you need some virtue ethics if you believe this, son. he can embody the creative violence of your fedora all you want, but his actions make him a villain, and a particularly ruthless one.

So the judge raped and killed the kid?

Is the kid a villain as well? His immoral actions were also plotpoints.

My take on The Judge is that he's the ultimate nominalist. He rejects God and metaphysics to the point the only thing left is entropy and himself, so, in a somewhat ironic turn, entropy becomes his own metaphysics and himself its God.

I think Judge destroyed The kid,in a way we don´t know.

You're retarded. You completely misunderstood it. LMAO.

Show one,ONE villain who is good in the same as the judge

Light yagami is a possible candidate

an interesting counterargument for sure.

but i don't think the kid is a villain any more than i think adam was a villain in genesis. i'll say at least that the evil of the judge, who actively kills and corrupts others into doing so, is not of the same measure as the evil of he who is corrupted, the kid.

and honestly, the kid is just there as a vehicle, i don't know that we get enough about him to make a call on his inner character.

Raito was a hero though. I was so fucking pissed when he lost. I don't even want to think about that. I wish he was real so he could purge all the scum of the Earth.

reading it now actually, enjoying it so far

Me too, user, me too.

My point was pretty much semantics. I just don't quite agree with "villain" as a term for judge. As I said before, he just feels too supernatural, symbolic and almost metaphysical to me for that kind of category.
Agreed about the degrees of evil though.

I found it kind of hard to follow.

That first description of the marauding band of Comanches was the most terrifying/ beautiful thing I've ever read. Of course, I'm not very well read. If you lads could point me in the direction of anything else like it I'd be much obliged.

>Good villain
>in the same level as the judge

i gotcha. i could buy that the judge's character just sort of lives as a force outside of category, that's a cool take.

Blood meridian is some writing exausting at the same as moby dick,it´s so fucking exausting but i finished
Jesus Christ what is problem with this guy?
This writing....

>hurr why not just kill all criminals lol

I don't remember exactly how he did it but he tweaked the prose to make it sound like a rambling sermon.
Apocalyptic is the only way I can describe it. Meme about tortillas all you want but the writing in BM is really something special.

Unironically one of the best villains ever.
This. The fact that he was in a way the good guy is what makes him so interesting.

he is a meme at villain,seriously if Judge find him he will just rape and kill him,in my opinion Joker was a good villain,evil,sarcastic,intelligent.
But Light?he is stupid as fuck

Tbh I enjoyed the prose quite a lot and found it very engaging and beautiful.
Took me a long time to get through the book though.

So,we can agree Blood meridian is a good book?
Right?

Yeah, The Joker is another great villain - intelligent, nihilistic and with a wicked sense of humor.

To any who read his other works what do you think the Judge's relation is to the three men in Outer Dark and Chigurh in NCFOM? I think as the hunters in OD were the mans shadow who enacted the violence in his soul, the Judge was sort of an extreme version which was the shadow of all mankind. Chigurh was something of a man who embraces the shadow. I think there's a perceptible relation as they were all supernatural embodiments in a sense (or at least Chigurh molded himself after one).

Please don't put a fedora on the judge

If we're gonna bring animu and mango into this it's worth pointing out Light was a faggy and juvenile failure in pihl 101.

I just realized that Judge and Joker are literally the same,both are evil,sarcastic,intelligent,etc

Moby Dick if you haven't read it already.

Judge would make that fag his bitch too

Tbh Holden would fit very well into Berserk.

I'm not saying ethics isn't a thing, nor am I trying to tip a fedora; but the Judge isn't a moral rational being.

He is a transcendent force.

>people here literally arguing that a pedophile who skinned Mexican farmers for fun wasn't a villain
i want /pol/ to leave

>pilfer a concept from a popular Ballard short story, market it to children who don't read
>doll the protag up with all sorts of angsty cliches, appeal to brooding teens who want to self insert
>delude your poorly read audience into believing you've created an iconic antihero, as fully developed and complex as any found in western literature
BASED OHBA

>nature regularly kills thousands
>nature is a villian
>applying morality to a force

The Judge, supernatural or not, was conscious and thinking. That makes him more than a force.

i understand, i think i missed that point in your post.

that's an interesting distinction for sure, and i buy it as a read, but i'm not sure i agree with it because of and like he's transcendent and maybe outside of the category of human morals and whatever, but like . . . jeez he's pretty tangibly immoral.

so i understand both takes, but i lean toward classifying him as a villain because in the physical space he occupies in a world of human interaction, he's pretty committedly evil.

The judge is clearly a villain,what the fuck is this shit?
this guy just rape and kill.

Post characters who will fight with the Judge

Restricted to lit figures?

Raito would kill his bitch ass in like a second with his Death Note.

This.
It's my favourite book however I wish Veeky Forums talked more about Suttree and MLP: Everything goes horribly wrong, the trilogy..

I don't know what the three cups the man (representing The Kid) is shown thinking about, at one point I thought it was supposed to be his three companies (White's, Glanton's, himself) but I can not give any clear answers. I think the fourth cup obviously represents the Judge and his interest in mentoring the Kid, (" I would have loved you as a son"). I think the art of the card says more about it than the card's actual meaning; the kid is indifferent to the supernatural Judge and refuses to acknowledge his other-wordly powers.

I forget what cards Black Jackson and Glanton get though.

>Raito would kill his bitch ass in like a second
Sorry son, but at the end of the day your boy's gettin' a toilet hug.

MLP? My little pony? No way that's what you mean.

>Sutree was top 3 til Sot weed factor pushed it down a notch.

Veeky Forums talks about Cormacs other books frequently enough, the road, No country for old men. etc.

But They should talk about Blood Meridian as much as they do, it's his best work by far and it is truly a work of art.

>listened to the audio version at least 5 times,
>Richard Poe does such a phenomenal job

youtube.com/watch?v=TIQynsWpBpQ

I read it while sick and having fever dreams. I felt the thirst, the cold. I walked underneath the yawning sky.

Is he human? Or is he dancer?

>Veeky Forums talks about Cormacs other books frequently enough
Now I frequent Veeky Forums quite a bit and I can only barely remember seeing one thread about Suttree before with some actual discussion. I remember a Road thread that was shitposting. I cannot remember there ever being a thread about any other book with real discussion. Maybe you remember more but regardless McCarthy an author that should be understood in his total career since every book is more illumined with his other books in mind.

you fucked up

the judge can never be truly known. he is something you can never understand. applying a label to the judge ruins the book.

wait, what is this short story?

ah, blood meridian, monsieur? that novel is the sark and chaparral of literature, the filament whereon rode the remuda of highbrow, corraled out of some destitute hacienda upon the arroya, quirting and splurting with main and with pyrolatrous coagulate of lobated grandiloquence. our eyes rode over the pages, monsieur, of that slatribed azotea like argonauts of suttee, juzgados of swole, bights and systoles of walleyed and tyrolean and carbolic and tectite and scurvid and querent and creosote and scapular malpais and shellalagh. we scalped, monsieur, the gantlet of its esker and led our naked bodies into the rebozos of its mennonite and siliceous fauna, wallowing in the jasper and the carnelian like archimandrites, teamsters, combers of cassinette scoria, centroids of holothurian chancre, with pizzles of enfiladed indigo panic grass in the saltbush of our vigas, true commodores of the written page, rebuses, monsieur, we were the mygale spiders too and the devonian and debouched pulque that settled on the frizzen studebakers, listening the wolves howling in the desert while we saw the judge rise out of a thicket of corbelled arches, whinstone, cairn, cholla, lemurs, femurs, leantos, moonblanched nacre, uncottered fistulas of groaning osnaburg and kelp, isomers of fluepipe and halms awap of griddle, guisado, pelancillo.

>MLP? My little pony? No way that's what you mean.
The boarder trilogy which starts with All the Pretty Horses.

Rorshach
Mr Wednesday from American Gods
Dumbledore
Aragorn

I miss monsieurposting so much

Jesus, Van Hellsing, Guts.

Is the kid present at the end when the judge was dancing and saying he would never die? What happened to him, I wonder? Hmm. It's not as if the judge has a history of untoward behavior.

The Man is not present when the judge is dancing
nor is the bear, or the missing little girl.
What happened to him is too brutal to be described. Real question is

IS THAT BEAR THE SAME BEAR THAT ATE THE DELAWARE?

SJW drivel with some pretty words

There's nothing SJW about Blood Meridian, its almost as if you were posting that as some kind of funny joke.

Now: Zero
Make sure you read to the end, user.
*sinister chuckle*

The entire book is "waaa Indians dindu nothing but white men are all cartoon villains"

The scene of the hunters killing people in a village and literally raping their corpses was retarded. Putting a token black guy in the gang does not make Mccarthy not racist

It's literally antiwhite revisionism meant to make us sympathise with savages and pretend we aren't two massively different peoples

Ich müss tanzen!

Not at all, just one form of hierarchy or domination supplanting another. The book has a very clearly dialectical, almost Marxist attitude toward history as shown in the discussions of the vanished Anasazi and the inability of Glaton's gang to persist in a civilizing world.

The fence posts are the nails in the coffin of the Old West, announcing that for all his claims of immortality the titanic Judge is dead and buried by a new pantheon.

The levels of /pol/ double trolling has gotten ridiculous. They're barely trying to pretend they've read the book.

But user, the conclution of the novel indicates that only will to power and violence are truly human qualities beyond individual terms. That is as far as a moralistic or liberal conclution as it gets.

Child of God is his best work

From a Jungian perspective, I think the kid at the end was overcome by the Judge (the subconscious evil within all of us), and raped and killed somebody.

>IS THAT BEAR THE SAME BEAR THAT ATE THE DELAWARE?
I actually wondered that last week myself.
Also how did a little girl get a bear that killed a Delaware (a hard motherfucker)

I hated this book.
It felt artificial and boring. None of the characters seem real. It is not even compelling.

chris?

Read your Toriyama. The judge was simply the fused form of the bear and the little girl, embodying the worst aspects of both. The judge's attempt to fuse with the man either failed (as two fused entities can't combine with a third) or resulted in less than desirable fusion a la Veku. The judge dances at the conclusion of the novel to sustain his fused form. Pretty basic stuff, honestly.

His most shocking, yes, but not his best. That's Suttree.

>All to the north the rain had dragged black tendrils down from the thunderclouds like tracings of lampblack fallen in a beaker and in the night they could hear the drum of rain miles away on the prairie. They ascended through a rocky pass and lightning shaped out the distant shivering mountains and lighting rang the stones about and tufts of blue fire clung to the horses like incandescent elementals that would not be driven off. Soft smelterlights advanced upon the metal of the harness, lights ran blue and liquid on the barrels of the guns. Mad jackhares started and checked in the blue glare and high among those clanging crags jokin roehawks crouched in their feathers or cracked a yellow eye at the thunder underfoot.
That there is where I realized it was my favorite book.

Not sure why the pdf has weird characters but this entire segment is just why I love reading.

The indians weren't exactly described as noble savages though, wasn't there a scene were they sieged a whole village because they wanted to get drunk?