Would it be weird to stop by the local high school and ask an english teacher to read some of my short stories...

would it be weird to stop by the local high school and ask an english teacher to read some of my short stories, maybe correct the grammar and such? i'm a high school drop out so i never really got to do that kind of stuff when i was a kid.

Yes. Take a community college class.

nah go for it

not at all, just be genuine about it and they will help you out
be sure if you get a 'No' to realize that only means now you reframe your request by asking for a suggestion or two because 'I dont really have anyone who can check this out. Is there anyone you could maybe recommend who could give this a once over for me? I REALLY have to get this looked at.' please and thank you.

dont be afraid of talking to people, you got this.

Yes, it would be extremely weird, don't do it. Don't come to a stranger asking to read your short stories, you don't even know if this stranger is not a complete idiot anyway. Besides, that's the person's job. If you want someone to review your grammar for real you must pay for the page and you can look for that online or on facebook groups or forums, I don't know. Or maybe you can ask around if no one knows someone who would be willing to read your stories and review your grammar.

You don't go to a doctor at the sidewalk and ask him to look at some wart. Your story is not as interesting, don't assume that the other person is profitting from reading it. It is a chore. If you are going to ask as a favour, ask someone who is already willing to do it from the start. Otherwise, pay.

That's not weird just ask them and they'll probably help you out if you're nice and don't at like a complete retard

desu it's a person who's job is to be paid to teach a class of students who are paying to be taught, not some random walk in off the street.

Good luck getting past the office with that line

High school teachers have enough work to do, they're not copyedit your fiction for free

>would it be weird to stop by the local high school and ask an english teacher to read some of my short stories

weird yes, do your own grammar check you fool and in the process you will learn as you find what's wrong with your own mistakes. That's their job and it's rare to find a teacher that's passionate or has the time to do what you want. Best you can do is A buy a grammar book and do it yourself, or like the other user said offer money. That or like the other other user said, go to a CC and pretend to be a student. if you get caught just run away.

great idea imo and you could also try asking ordinary folks on the bus or on the street as well - people will try to meme you away from doing so but keep in mind that almost every bestseller of the past forty years or so has been edited by a complete stranger to the project, often someone who had to be pressured into doing so

go in with enough copies for the whole staff, extras to pass on to students; give the bus driver a stack of your stories and tell him to pass them onto passengers (or stand at the front of a bus and pass them onto passengers).

you could also stand in the lobby of office buildings and ask people in suits to read your work - if they ask why, you can be honest (say because you trust important people who wear suits), just remember for ALL OF THIS to work you will need an e-mail address on your draft work.

Do all of this and make sure you avoid bullies, OP!

this. you should be told to fuck off and go find a creative writing program. private or at a local college.

op this is assuming you are even allowed on campus without a campus id. just don't. show your work to some of your smart friends, or join an online community. fuck it post it here in a critique thread you big fucking baby i'm sure people will help.

This. Sad but true. On the other hand, I would, user. Hit or miss. (If I were you) I would offer to pay, but with the reservation that I don't have much.

Teachers are retards and english teachers are the most retarded. They're the dipshits who cant do maths at a 6th grade level but can vaguely spell. You are legitimately better off rolling the dice here on Veeky Forums for feedback

For real OP. You would be surprised. The average person is more intrigued than spooked. Hell, maybe you might impress a girl and get laid. Actually I take that back. There is no maybe. Women can't resist uneducated savant geniuses like you.

It would be seen as weird and you'd freak people out by being a (probably sexually undesirable male) within the victinity of a high school. And you probably live in Murrika where the high school has security guards and is walled off from the community

If you can't get a teacher to help you out, send them to me. [email protected] I can't promise miracles but I can at least string a sentence together.

high school english teachers won't really be able to help you, but we can. post it in a critique thread.

this actually isn't that far off, I work at a school and there's never a shortage of people who think they can be good English teachers but really don't have a strong command of the language
also just a really weird idea

Is there any risk? The risk of a no? Rejection? Is that so bad? You will have to deal with endless rejection as a writer. If they say no, ask them if they have anyone they could recommend. There is literally nothing wrong with asking, you will still have your stories if they say no.

My local community college, and even one of the universities here, offer free writing workshops.
Check around and see if something like that is available near you.

Your probably better off befriending a english major at a university desu