Thoughts on the pope wanting to change the Lord's prayer?

In English and similarly in Italian, the prayer asks God to "lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil." But, says Francis, it's not the Lord that tempts.

"It is not He that pushes me into temptation and then sees how I fall," Francis said in Italian. "A father does not do this. A father quickly helps those who are provoked into Satan's temptation."

Francis pointed out that just a few days ago, France's Catholic church adopted new phrasing in its Notre Père.

"[T]he first Sunday of Advent," the church wrote, "a new translation of the Our Father will come into force in all forms of liturgy. The Catholic faithful will no longer say: 'Do not submit to temptation' but 'Do not let us enter into temptation.' "

Other urls found in this thread:

biblehub.com/greek/3986.htm
dukhrana.com/peshitta/analyze_verse.php?lang=en&verse=Matthew 6:13&source=ubs&font=Estrangelo Edessa&size=175%
assyrianlanguages.org/sureth/dosearch.php?searchkey=9203&language=id
aramaicnt.org/2017/12/09/pope-francis-suggests-change-to-lords-prayer/
aramaicnt.org/articles/the-lords-prayer-in-galilean-aramaic/
biblehub.com/greek/1533.htm
assyrianlanguages.org/sureth/dosearch.php?searchkey=17822&language=id
dukhrana.com/lexicon/lexeme.php?adr=1:2316&font=Estrangelo Edessa&size=175%
dukhrana.com/lexicon/lexeme.php?adr=1:316&font=Estrangelo Edessa&size=125%
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Makes no difference and English speakers will keep saying the old version

At least "do not let us enter into temptation" isn't as clunky as "consubstantial with the father" but changing the prayers is still cancerous and disrupts the poetic flow of the prayers, which is far more important in a mass ceremony than understanding the theology, which you can learn about outside of mass.

Honestly, it's a pretty fair argument and genuinely makes sense as to why it ought to be retranslated. But every Catholic who knows the Our Father, knows that "lead us not into temptation" does not imply that God could even do evil.

The reasoning for the change is pretty solid, but there seems to be no need to change it, because we know the context of that particular phrase of the Our Father.

The only translation that should be used is a precise literal one.
>And bring us not into trialling, but deliver us from the evil one.
biblehub.com/greek/3986.htm
dukhrana.com/peshitta/analyze_verse.php?lang=en&verse=Matthew 6:13&source=ubs&font=Estrangelo Edessa&size=175%
assyrianlanguages.org/sureth/dosearch.php?searchkey=9203&language=id
aramaicnt.org/2017/12/09/pope-francis-suggests-change-to-lords-prayer/
aramaicnt.org/articles/the-lords-prayer-in-galilean-aramaic/

Changing it will just mess the translation more and allow it to become another flawed tradition.

i dislike this new pope trying to modernize catholicism, when we need the vatican as an institution of transcendent values. changing the most important and fundamental prayer is simply lunacy

>change a translation due to ideological commitments and not semantic concerns
fuck you

dae the pope is literally Emily Wilson?

Vatican II and its supporters are gay.

>refuse to read the King James Bible (God's perfect Word in the English Language)
>zero reading comprehension
hmm

So you see the word in question is the Greek verb 'eispheró' which is a compound construction.
biblehub.com/greek/1533.htm

In the Syriac bible the verb `L is used which can mean to enter or to bring ("And enter us not into trialling," perhaps?)
assyrianlanguages.org/sureth/dosearch.php?searchkey=17822&language=id
dukhrana.com/lexicon/lexeme.php?adr=1:2316&font=Estrangelo Edessa&size=175%

In older Syriac manuscripts a form of the same verb for "come" in the second petition is used as in "Thy kingdom will come". This shows that the implication of carrying something into somewhere had been an established tradition early on among Aramaic speaking communities and may have well been the very words of Yeshua himself and the unwritten oral tradition.
dukhrana.com/lexicon/lexeme.php?adr=1:316&font=Estrangelo Edessa&size=125%

Vulgate uses the word 'inducas' which as is probably evident is the origin of induce. I don't have any Old Latin versions to check with atm. Even the modern interpretation word of the 'temptation' is questionable when one takes a look at its implied meaning and usage over the years.

It shows that the so called keepers of tradition can't always be trusted and they give those who do a more honest job of it a bad rep.

So remove the word 'let' which in Greek and Syriac would have been the same word for abandon, allow, forgive, forsake, leave, and suffer and it would be great.

>changing the prayers is still cancerous and disrupts the poetic flow of the prayers, which is far more important in a mass ceremony than understanding the theology, which you can learn about outside of mass.

>The reasoning for the change is pretty solid, but there seems to be no need to change it, because we know the context of that particular phrase of the Our Father.

I think that's a reasonable position, but I disagree. The power of it is in the words that are spoken. The theory, the theology and the details of the debate must reach the surface, the actions, the presentations of those ideas, otherwise the theory is turned into mental masturbation and the all the while the prayer itself is diminished because you'd be saying the "wrong version" and having to learn the "right version" either by some common sense or further study.

Words are seeds, anons.

I'm wary of what Francis does but I don't think this is a big deal. It's a better translation, and it's already what other "official" translations into other languages say. The implication that God is capable of malevolence (leading people into temptation) instead of putting the responsibility on the person always struck me as weird, this seems to rectify that.

It may seem weird to you but it may not have to the authors. God put many people to test in throughout the OT.
Also I'd like to know which of the official translations say that since traditional translations in every major western language and historical translations of eastern languages don't.

Wait, how does
>et ne nos inducas in tentationem
not also mean "and lead us not into temptation"?
Is he going to change the Latin as well?

This too. The first point, that is.

I don't see the problem with the original wording. "Lead us not into temptation" can be understood as praying that God not providentially bring us into situations which tempt us. A temptation is not a sin, but something which we either succumb to or resist.

If it is so clear-cut, how did this "error" survive for so long?
How did Luther, for example, who was incredibly autistic about correct (i.e. according to his interpretation) implications of his wording, miss this, when he wasn't shy to deviate from the Latin elsewhere?

I guess the problem is with temptation acquiring a meaning synonymous with enticement and seduction (note in-duction). This more scandalous interpretation probably deviates from its original implication leading to modern western productions like The Last Temptation where the alluring topic is the scenario of Jesus being tempted by a whore and all the beloved disciple debates going on today.

>from the Latin?
Luther translated the NT from Greek.

He was very much aware of the Latin as well though, and took account of it. In his writing where he justifies his translations, he compares to the Latin.
In any case, the question remains.

Of course, why would he not? The KJV has influence from the Vulgate as well. That does not change the fact that they are translations from the original Greek.

That's exactly the point I was making though. That the Latin says 'inducere' would not have stopped Luther from translating it properly in the original sense.

Seems I misread something in your original post. Nevermind then.

>God's perfect Word in the English Language
my sides

>God changing the universe AGAIN
its almost like it never ends

well duh

What the Luther Bible says "Und führe uns nicht in Versuchung".
Just for comparison Old English had "And ne gelæd ðū ūs on costnunge,".