When people read a translation, youre pretty much just reading for the plot alone

When people read a translation, youre pretty much just reading for the plot alone.

Stylistic and aesthetic nuances of the original language is lost in translation.

Hyperbole

When I read a translation it’s to get closer to foreign-born Veeky Forums Stacies

>It's another "either plot or prose" thread
This is a teenager's conception of literature.

But you must agree with my main point. Translations will never give the full experience of the original text. So when you read one, only the plot matters.

Is this supposed to be profound?

>P "stylistic and aesthetic nuances" can not be transferred reliably in translation
>P the only kind of "stylistic and aesthetic nuances" that can exist are exactly those of an original author
>C translations can not be worth reading for "stylistic and aesthetic nuances"

Just because you're not getting the intended text doesn't mean that a great translated work of fiction isn't worth spending time with. I'm okay with getting 80% of what makes a great work great if it means I can read books in languages I don't have time to learn.

Have you just discovered translations? Again, there are more elements of literature than "plot" and "prose."

In fiction that's all there really is. Characters belong in the plot.

Yep, only being able to read a few languages is one of the things that bother me most. I've never tried self-teaching so I don't know how effective it is.

Do you also consider the nuances of their development plot? I was taught plot was the overarching story, not the minor details of how it comes about.

No, you're reading an adaptation of it by another artist. It's no different than watching Tarkovsky's Andrei Rublev or listening to Ravel's Gaspard de la Nuit.

It's not inherently "lesser", it's just a different work. Hope the rest of your school year goes well OP.

This is also true, some translations are very beautiful in and of themselves. There are some translations of Shakespeare and of Homer in my language that are gems.

Please take a literature course or something dear lord

This is still going too far.
Languages, even radically different languages still come down to the same propositional principles in what they're referring to, the emotions they describe, the scenes they depict, the ideas they convey can all be conveyed without necessarily losing any content.
There are difficulties and necessary losses with translations but its retarded to declare it as an impossible task

>Stylistic and aesthetic nuances of the original language is lost in translation.
What are these? I've never heard them discussed here

I think dostoyevsky has translated well, but that's probably because his fame recruits better translators.

Prosefags are full of shit, ignore their innane howlings

LMAO

What is the benefit of literature courses, other than providing employment for English majors? There are plenty of great books on the topic, what does someone who is only twenty years older than oneself bring to the table, other than subjective experience?

even if you learn a lenguage you will never understand it to the level of a native speaker, so why do you even care

>tfw all your books have great style cause you had to translate them in your head and it turned out that translation is better

Translation is just another view at the work, ideas may be understood differently and new images of the book may be seen. Translations are extremely needed, and also:

The character develops because the plot allows them to develop.

Read George Steiner's Tolstoy or Dostoevsky. He couldn't read any Russian and wrote a wonderful book based upon his readings of translated works and, as should be pretty clear, understood the works well.

that development is not part of the plot though, and you still get it on translations

Have fun missing out on most of the Western Canon, translationfag.

if this was true then German philosophy like GM and French Lit like Journey to the End of Night would read like English lit but they don’t at all, they’re distinctly German and French respectively. You can hear the cadence and rythm of their language, the motions of a Germanic mind rage in every translated word. You’re a pretentious pseud, i do not have time to learn 3 other languages to read Don Quixote and Rabelais and Kant you fuckwit. I can tell the spirit of the word is different when im reading translations. Not everyone went to private school or had a good highschool experience that made learning foreign tongues accessible. Some people work for a living you massive bougie pseud fuck

But OP, that's why everyone and his Nan who speaks a foreign language can't be a translator.

Gee what do I trust, my rusty amateur knowledge in a language or someone whose entire life was dedicated to this language?
Which would be more accurate?

>he doesn't read the divine comedy for the plot

you don't fucking get it, do you?

Idioms and puns can be lost in translation. For instance: Six was afraid of of Seven because Seven ate Nine. Translate that into another language and the joke is lost. So how do you go about translating it?

OP is retarded, but to be fair I would always err on the side of encouraging people to learn languages they're interested in. It's a very fun and rewarding experience and not at all the impossible task some people think it is.

Guess what kstupid kid when you read a foreing language you trasnalte into your own anyway so why even b other doing it yourself when someones already done it dumb boy

No, the plot is still insignificant to me when I read a translation. I read for the story.

How many languages do you expect me to understand?

>want to read a translated book
>worry about which translator to read
>never read it in the end

every time

>t. languagelet

>What is the benefit of literature courses, other than providing employment for English majors?
Why have a private instructor for piano? People develop bad habits in all disciplines without an instructor to catch them early.

If you read for puns, pls die

>ASMR Darling
She never got that Nickelodeon deal, I guess.

Sieben aßen neun works.

no it doesn't sorry my mistake

I'm a translator trying to get published atm. Anyone who says that translation in-of-itself removes "stylistic and aesthetic nuance" needs to stand up, step away from their chair and carefully remove the large stick stuck up their anus.

That's why there're translations with literary merit and translations without literary merit, just like books.

There may be instances where the translation is better than the original

what have you translated?

op is a true patrish
only way to read books is to actually invoke the spirit of the author and have him posess you so you can enjoy the work AS IT WAS MEANT TO BE ENJOYED IN THE MIND OF THE WRITER

Style and aesthetic nuances can be adequately transposed in a translation. If it wasn't then publishers would be using google translate instead of paying translators thousands of dollars. Obviously it's not the original work, but really how long would it take to get your German to a level at which you could read Nietzsche? Probably 4 years minimum.

still works in norwegian: syv åt ni

Dumb phoneposters.

Yep, I'm missing the great prose when I read a translated dosto...

As if by learning a new language at which you'll be never as good as your mother tongue will help by understanding the prose better.

Good thing my mother language is German. I wish I could speak Russian fluently though.

You know that 95% of canonical works don't rely on either of those things?

That's not how languages work if you're fluent in them, you cretin.

Let me guess, you speak only one language.