Good Reads thread: Reading challenge edition

Panic read some fiction to push my way to completion. Still feels like I achieved the goal, read less than I was hoping this year

no hate pls

How are your challenges coming along?

Other urls found in this thread:

goodreads.com/user/year_in_books/2017
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Shouldn't you focus on just reading, instead of trying to complete retarded challenges? Doesn't it take away from the entire point of reading?

You managed to read 20 books including Infinite Jest, well done user

I'm at 68/60. First time I've ever made it to my goal. I expect to hit 71 before New Years. Turns out not being in school just vastly enlarges the amount of time I have to read. I am glad I took a year off before grad school.

I find having a goal to work toward helps me be productive. I want to read so I incentivise myself.

Finished for the year at least

How was concrete island

You all read a lot, i am actually surprised. Whats the secret?? I am in uni and i dont really have time for reading anything not about law.

Norse Myths by Jake Jackson
The Bhagavad Gita by Krishna-Dwaipayana Vyasa
Carl Jung: Wounded Healer of the Soul by Claire Dunne
The Shaman and the Magician: Journeys Between the Worlds by Nevill Drury
Concrete by Thomas Bernhard
Night by Elie Wiesel
Rosshalde by Hermann Hesse
Gothic Short Stories edited by David Blair
Aleister Crowley and the Ouija Board by J. Edward Cornelius
Crisis by Hermann Hesse
Natural Magic by Doreen Valiente
Jakob von Gunten by Robert Walser
Enchiridion by Epictetus
The Complete Book of Spells, Ceremonies & Magic by Migene González-Wippler
Jung: A Journey of Transformation by Vivianne Crowley
Pagan & Christian in an Age of Anxiety by E.R. Dodds
Owning Your Own Shadow: Understanding the Dark Side of the Psyche by Robert A. Johnson
Low Magick: It’s All in Your Head … You Just Have No Idea How Big Your Head Is by Lon Milo DuQuette
Experiencing the Kabbalah: A Simple Guide to Spiritual Wholeness by Chic Cicero and Sandra Tabatha Cicero
Meditations by Marcus Aurelius
Wicca: A Comprehensive Guide to the Old Religion in the Modern World by Vivianne Crowley
Living Between Two Worlds: Challenges of the Modern Witch edited by Chas S. Clifton
On Meditation: Spiritual Perspectives by Rudolf Steiner
Leisure: The Basis of Culture: Including the Philosophical Act by Josef Pieper
The Practical Qabalah by Charles Fielding
Don Juan, Mescalito and Modern Magic: The Mythology of Inner Space by Nevill Drury
Anthroposophy in Everyday Life by Rudolf Steiner
Introducing Jung by Maggie Hyde and Michael McGuinness
Tao Te Ching by Lao Tzu
Nietzsche for Beginners by Marc Sautet
A Good Man is Hard to Find by Flannery O’Connor
The Book of the Law by Aleister Crowley
The Elements of the Tarot by A. T. Mann
Letters to a Young Poet by Rainer Maria Rilke
The Witch’s Qabalah by Ellen Cannon Reed
Hermann Hesse: Life and Art by Joseph Mileck
Rites and Symbols of Initiation by Mircea Eliade
Hesiod and Theognis by Hesiod, Theognis
Chuang Tzu: Basic Writings by Chuang Tzu
The Homeric Hymns by Homer
The Eleusinian Mysteries & Rites by Dudley Wright
The Notebooks of Malte Laurids Brigge by Rainer Maria Rilke
C.G. Jung and Hermann Hesse: A Book of Two Friendships by Miguel Serrano
Jung to Live By: A Guide to the Practical Application of Jungian Principles for Everyday Life by Eugene Pascal
The Earliest English Poems translated by Michael Alexander
Pictor’s Metamorphoses and Other Fantasies by Hermann Hesse
Applied Magic by Dion Fortune
The Myth of the Eternal Return or Cosmos and History by Mircea Eliade
What Witches Do: A Modern Coven Revealed by Stewart Farrar
The Sickness unto Death by Soren Kierkegaard
Jungian Dream Interpretation: A Handbook of Theory and Practice by James A. Hall
Learn German with Stories: Café in Berlin – 10 Short Stories for Beginners by André Klein
Hillbilly Elegy: A Memoir of a Family and Culture in Crisis by J.D. Vance

I don't watch tv or movies or have any friends.

I guess infite jest probably compensated for the fact that 3 of those are novellas that you probably read in "A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms" as one book

Probably, Don Quixote took me the same length of time to read.

did you like audition?

I found it to be pretty meh.

I haven't seen the movie by judging by its reputation it must have added some gore since the final of the book, while violent, it isn't very shocking.

not very much, the film was better. For shock, Miso Soup is a much better read. Coin Locker Babies is his best book. Showa Hits I wanted to like much more than I did, the premise is so much fun, but it's poorly done.

are you still on neetbux, Sebastian?

I start reha next year, for now I am.

He's a hero of our board.

People here come and go, but he's still here, with us.

Does anyone have any of these for help on writing (fiction)

get better, we believe in you.

Do you read quickly, or just a shit ton

I read Immediate Fiction last year. It was alright,

He is a shutin. Think one of those Koreans who die slumped over a keyboard, except a euro-book-neet

I'm this guy, and you're being a bit unkind. Sebastian inspired me to read way more than I used to, and these last couple of years I've tripled what I read partly because I saw it could be done. For a literature board the posters here really resent anybody who reads more than 20 books a year.

I have been goodreads friends with him for 4 years or so. I assure you that it is in jest, although there is a difference between 1-200 books a year and 4-500

I'll concede that point.

>For a literature board the posters here really resent anybody who reads more than 20 books a year.
I thought fifty was the average for a literature board.

how do you get that analysis? is that goodreads?

goodreads.com/user/year_in_books/2017

if you say in a thread you read more than 50 pages an hour everybody spergs out saying you don't understand or retain nothing you read. Few people who post here actually have a consistent reading habit.

You do have time. Work more efficient and procrastinate less. I did my master year while writing an extra paper + reading 100 books and I still spend hours a day watching tv or playing vidya.

I read before bed, whenever I am "waiting (doctors appointments, before a social or professional obligation), in the bath, sometimes in place of yuck Netflix time.

I also use GR challenges to make sure I am reading

I'm aiming for 2 books a month but I'm a bit behind. Having said that I'm basically finished three books at the moment so I shouldn't have a problem making it to 24 before the new year. I've also listened to a couple of audio books but I don't count them.

++ James Bond books
++ Heart of Darkness

I've started reading a complete works of Saki recently and am really enjoying it so far. I don't read it often enough but it's perfect short comfy reading.

Page count is pretty disparaging however. I thought I was a slow reader for having only 20 or so books, but it turns out it was only because so many were 500+ pages. Others posted their charts with similar page counts (8500~9000) with 50+ books.

I don't read more than that either.

I don't mean that it's wrong, everyone has their own pace. It's not accepting that some people might be faster and begin insulting them that I don't like.

>42/50
boys I’m not gonna make it

Don't diss Fleming, Bond is comfy. And you can read into it on a deeper level if you've read more 'literature' previously.

Heart of Darkness is actually great I don't understand why people don't like it.

I don't think I've ever met anyone who dislikes heart of darkness, what are the common criticisms?

Must be new, there is a copypasta about how racist is is T.Achebe

i'm at 47 out of 52 but i have two books i'm reading now that i'm more than halfway done with and i will have lots of time once finals end next week.

i think a lot of people post on lit as they are getting back into literature, which is why there is resentment towards people who read a lot. i know that i posted a lot more on lit when i hadn't read as many of the books that are commonly discussed here