How do I into Journalism?

How do I into Journalism?

Someone help me

Other urls found in this thread:

twainquotes.com/Galaxy/187007a.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Grab a comp notebook and an Atlantis BIC pen. Write what you think. Let the means become the ends and trust yourself to figure out what you believe in.

Journalism is a dying profession, OP, I would not even bother. Out of all the writing professions, journalism has taken the biggest drop in quality in the last 70 years. If you are really that much interested, try writing for the uni newspaper. These days any mediocre writer can get in.

Don't.

I cant imagine what else I'd do

Also I don't really like the uni paper or the people on there

Step 1: Hate Trump.
Step 2: Make up false stories about Trump.
Step 3: ???????????
Step 4: Profit.

Journalism is good if you specialize and do expert writing (I forget the term); get a degree in whatever you're interested in, then write in that field as an "expert."

Pitch some articles and keep a blog. Try to do some event coverage and do something interesting with it. Journalism isn't dead or dying, it's just shrinking and there's less opportunities typically. Don't expect to be too successful.

I have a computer science degree

Divest yourself of all moral principles.

>journalism

stick to twitter, drumpf

All this hate for journalists.

Funny considering how many great writers, even the ones Veeky Forums loves, started out as journalists or did magazine feature writing in a journalistic style.

Find your thing and become a master of it, are you a fashion person, a movie person, a person interested in congress? Find it, study it and write about it (mostly in modern stuff).

>how do I into propaganda

FTFY

>journalism has taken the biggest drop in quality in the last 70 years
all the more reason to become a journalist

Times have changed, and standards have plummeted.

Journalists today are unprincipled scum, almost without exception. They don't call them presstitutes for nothing.

Well yeah, and there's something forebodin about a society that has become so cynical about the institution itself, without getting into politics. It's scary how all you have to do if you're looking to win public opinion is to buck the tide of the mainstream media, which is itself being rapidly more and more nebulous and fragmented a concept. Don't expect things to get better anytime soon.

>able to write for some magazine
>so far they're fine with me, want a sample of my writing now

What do I send them? Any random piece I've written recently? A mock article?

bump for this user

>journalism has taken the biggest drop in quality
you mean compared to the golden age of journalism when the press could incite a war by hyping up a populous that only gets its news from 3 sources total?

Journalism is as good as ever. the only difference is now the profit motive to journalism is collapsing and we have so much reporting on other people's reporting

they dug this grave themselves by becoming so radically disconnected from the general population.

an idiot population that chooses bias when it serves them is all on us tho

>How do I into Journalism
with grammar exactly like that

Also make sure you do no research yourself, take everything said by women and minorities as FACT, excoriate the anonymous who call you out on this whenever possible as the real societal ill, and use this as your method at all times:
twainquotes.com/Galaxy/187007a.html

Are you trying to say that because journalism is oversaturated it actually increases quality in the press? The golden age of journalism was when people investigated or muckraked in order to expose the corruption in businesses or political systems as in Watergate or the oil tycoons. Because of the press (the first journalists) people were able to bring common criminals to justice. Today's media tries to be the same hand of justice as in the early 1900s but despite all their clamoring for Trump and muh Russians and Hillary and muh emails have not successfully brought a single politician to justice. All they do is make people more polarized and feed them with misinformation or biases.

is the percentage of terrible journalism worse?
yes
is the raw amount of good journalism better?
yes
remember for every 100 MSNBC articles of a cat in a well, we get the Panama Papers

just because the industry as a whole whores itself out for clicks doesn't mean it doesn't still rely on the 1 in 100 good journalists that blow the doors off a story and justify the existence of the other 99.
the difference between then and now is that we get five times as many 1 in 100 journalists, so we get 5 times 99 more retards

So? You're like the idiotic writer who thinks his shits art.

News flash
You're not hunter s Thompson or kerouac

You're a fucking nobody and if you go down journalism route you'll write top 10 lists your whole l of e

lmao holy shit the mad in this post.

take a deep breath and re-read what you're responding to. just because you're a sycophant for Trump doesn't mean you can call all journalism terrible, and saying it's the worst it's ever been is a profoundly ignorant statement.

Also, I have zero desire to enter journalism as a career anyway. don't know where you picked that up lol

But do you have a single source to back that up?

Just make shit up.

> I'm a trump supporter now
>I think you want to be a journalist now
>I think all modern journalism is bad now
???

It's Iike talking to a child

I'm not that user you were originally responding to

what kind of proof do you want? there's more news being published today than ever before, and more documented proof of practically everything thanks to smart phones. I'd argue the burden of proof lies with trying to argue that all news is garbage these days just because there's a huge uptick in fluff pieces.
not like anybody has cited proof in this thread yet short of a few clickbait headlines by blatant hacks

yeah that makes more sense
see

This post doesnt apply to anything?

kys

there its easy, just kys

I'll kiss you too user!

>implying it's not pronounced c-ai-s
Kys

*chuu*

fuck off

Oh yeah, how wonderful. We read 20,000 lies a year but maybe now we have twenty good stories instead of ten in 19XX. I'm not the user you replied to, I think obviously there are still great journalists out there, especially if you go out of your way to find a good article. But you would not believe the number of friends, coworkers, classmates, peers, family etc that repeat literal falsehoods to my face because they watched an unsourced 30-second "news piece" on facebook or read a sensationalist article on god knows what site. I'm not even talking about "MSNBC is fake news", i mean real fake news. No political ageda, no secret russian conspiracy, just baiting for clicks. I mean it isn't even just fake news, it's fake journalism of any and all kinds. Fake science, fake history (holy shit @ the kind of coked up fake history you can find), fake fucking everything.

It's indicative of trends in journalism. Until this mass belief in lies causes some kind of major fuck up that shocks people back into placing value on good journalism, it's just going to get worse. Why actually investigate anything when you can fabricate it. the fact is that if you get into journalism now, there will be a very strong and overt push for you to produce trashy low quality content or else get fired. You don't immediately start in some kind of high position where you're sleuthing the national archives and writing for top magazines and shit. As a career your only in is as a low life reporter, typing up a mix of cut and dry news, lies and assorted brain poison. Otherwise you can blog for forbes for free or something, i dont know.

both of you are insufferable idiots just so you know and the way you format your posts is highly offensive to me

I've formatted the same for years.

It's only a new fag thing to care about that

I won't change for nobody

You have an ugly style and an ugly mind, i judge you down to the core of your being and i see nothing but pain and disappointment. Your soul will flee your body before you die

You need to be middle class or higher.

Seriously, look it up.

Wow with writing like that I can see why you browse Veeky Forums

Please resonate

Hey I can actually be of some help here! I'm a crime reporter. You should probably start by going to college. At the very least, find some small news sites or local magazines that rely a lot on freelancing work.

>how do i into profession? btw i hate all the people involved.

please leave forever

good post

I'm in college now for something completely unrelated

I don't want to go /pol/ here but the people involved in my school newspaper seem pretty immature as people and have a really heavy serious leftist bias. I don't really want to fuck with politics.

There's a small online hobbyist thing that I'm going to try for. Right now I'm gathering information and aim to write an article.

Also I don't think they're immature as a result of their politics, these are separate thoughts.

Let me show you my process, OP:
I spent a year at my school paper. I didn't really socialize, I just did my work and got out. Using that experience, I got an unpaid internship for a local news site. From that, I got my first paid internship at a weekly paper, which helped me land my current job after I graduated. You're not going to get brainwashed at your school paper. Make a name for yourself and move on.

It's not about brainwashing it's more to do with work environment and fear of a tarnished reputation if I write something they don't agree with

>"""crime reporter"""

Thank you, kind user.
I might just ask the guy what they want if Veeky Forums doesn't come up with an answer.