What happened to Brit lit after Orwell/Huxley?

What happened to Brit lit after Orwell/Huxley?

Where are all the great British novels after the 1950's?

it's over

just take the hitchens pill

I'm serious, I keep trying to figure out the most recent great British book, but it seems like everything just drops off after Orwell. Where did the British writers go?

Off the top of my head: Martin and Kingsley Amis, JG Ballard, Anthony Powell.
The last one wrote a 12-volume novel about England from the 1920s-70s called Dance to the Music of Time that was sort of a British answer to Proust, so it just screams "literature," if that's what you're looking for.
Pic related.

Most brits are sterile pragmatists incapable of artistic vision

How could a simple post taste so sweet

Publishers were ditching native Brits in favor of minority imports since at least the 80s,probably earlier. Or just wanted overtly leftist SJW themes. The 60s was when post-Colonial guilt kicked in, promoted by international communists.
Closest I can think of is Susana Clark's Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell.
Ironically JK Rowling's Harry Potter is quintissentially British in spite of her efforts to help destroy the country with her toxic virtue signalling stances.

>Brit lit
>Orwell/Huxley
disgusting.......................................

After Huxley? America came out, and the rest is history.

But how could a nation with such a rich tradition of literature just.....stop?

Doesn't make sense no matter how you cut it.

Anna Kavan
Christine Brook-Rose
B. S. Johnson
Anthony Burgess
and this

there are none because the things he tried to tell people about came true

lit is getting better, little by little. I like you lad

did you read 1984? it happened

It doesn't become part of "tradition" until it's survived a couple of centuries.

It's too soon to see what (if any) post-war literature will be remembered by posterity. For all we know, Orwell might br forgotten by 2050.

>Ishiguro
>Rushdie
>Kureishi
Fuck.

>forgotten
unlikely unleass civ completely collapses (very likely)

I'm writing it now lads.

After I finish my screenplay

>What happened to Brit lit after Orwell/Huxley?
It became a victim of its own success and started writing "award bait" exclusively that can only be appreciated by a tiny part of academia.

Fowles

Greene, Auden, Waugh, John Wyndham, some weird punk shit, all kinds of stuff m8. Even Hornby wouldn't be a bad read for you if you like Orwell and want a near current Wigan Pier

Amis père et fils, Ballard, Larkin (two good novels), J. G. Farrell, Anthony Powell, John Fowles (The French Lieutenant's Woman), Graham Greene...

Maybe more barren than the interwar period but still pretty good.

A nation with such a rich tradition of almost everything has 'just stopped' sadly.
But that's what happens when you forget the people in favor of Pajeet and Muhammad.

genuinely liked white teeth but on beauty was guff.

Some I have enjoyed are L.P. Hartley, Mary Renault and Ballard.

Ever hear of Neil Griffiths? As a God Might Be will go down in history as one of the 21st century's few great classics.

these are all you need OP