>"literature isn't dying, you've just got to find the good stuff!"

>comedians are modern day philosophers

I mean you guys don't even make an attempt to discover anything new you just sit around reading old shit and saying there is nothing good.

Time to get off your fat ass, OP. Stop perusing best-seller lists.

>”to be fair you need to have a very high iw to understand rick and morty...”

the last author Veeky Forums found was Tao Lin and over half the board hates him

The fact academia wastes so much time of soap opera shit like Pride and Prejudice tells me nothing of value has been written for centuries.

t. brainlet who hides behind the canon for protection, rather than reads the canon to connect to his culture

I'm a Canon poet, ama

I think you mean the last board Tao Lin found was Veeky Forums.

Today's society is an absolute meme and to resist joining in, you essentially have to become a different kind of meme yourself.
I can at most imagine 2nd/3rd worlders being free from this ailment, but then the ones that get published and, if necessary, translated are determined too by our meme-creatures.
The only sane or worthwhile writing today is likely in the form of diaries desu.

i remember being a teenager

Hey Tao, it's way past your bedtime now man

This guy gets it.

Literature is dead and has been dead, the few works you all fawn over from the last 100 years are just ghostly revenants that rise from the fissures in the surface of our collective subconscious. They aren't a movement or a surge or some tide of creative spirit, merely gaseous tension relieving itself as the corpse putrefies.

i refuse to believe anyone has said this

A lot of people believe that. I believed it when I was an edgy teen who just discovered Carlin and Pryor; it's mostly people who never read or try to educate themselves. Unfortunately I know plenty of adults who still think like this.

Me too. Doesn’t change what I said.

Sorry, but this sort of edgy non-argument doesn't make your opinion true.

What’s so good about it then? And I’m not sure your post counts as a more considered argument if I’m being honest.

>Krasznahorkai is still writing
>Knausgaard is still writing
>Houellebecq is still writing

Claiming literature is dead is the most middlebrow thing you can do - it betrays that you have no standard to judge literature for yourself, but rely exclusively on tradition and scholarly opinion.

How dare you. My post was a brilliant argument.

Brilliant is a bridge too far, but it is astonishingly competent by 4chins standards. I apologise for any offence caused.

>intelligence wotient

Calling things soap operas isn't criticism. You couldn't even explain why soap operas are objectively bad.

Stop samefagging you pathetic fuck.

Firstly- not samefagging. Seconders, that books has a whole lot in common with a soap opera. It sucks. The fact people rave about it is mind bongling.

DFW was probably the last literary tour de force.

>current year
>2nd worlder

>Literally who is still pumping out garbage that most people will not ever read or care about.

Cool dude, totally not dead. Nope, you are correct and the rest of the world is wrong!

This is the kind of post I still come to this board for

most people wont read or care about the western canon either so what's your point

>that books has a whole lot in common with a soap opera. It sucks. The fact people rave about it is mind bongling
You're chronically incapable of saying anything concrete. The book is in some unknown regards similar to soap operas and soap operas for an another unknown reason inherently suck, therefore it is terrible reeeeeee why do people like what I don't like

>Krasznohorkai, Knausgaard and Houellebecq are literally whos
Stop living under a rock

Does it offend you that I don’t like what you like? You seem awfully upset.

>You seem awfully upset.
Wow, you should become a book critic

Already am. Tell you what, when you publish your book "How I Learned My ABCs" I'll be sure to give you a good review. Till then.

>reading living authors
Why take the risk?

"Contemporary literature" is just a synonym of "contemporary publishing." Wait fifty years until the hype dies down.

>that books has a whole lot in common with a soap opera.
except that it's a different medium which fundamentally changes the way psychological relationships are portrayed?

also the "soap opera" comparison is missing the point entirely. it's not an ongoing narrative of impossible complexity driven by unpredictable characters and strange fates. it's a comedy of manners, wherein everyone is given a role from birth and everything moves according to plan, which is not an insignificant distinction. jane austen books are often about the individual in the machine of society.

though your soap opera argument makes it pretty clear what you actually have a problem with (getting laid)

>satirical attack on the marital mores of the bourgeoisie
>soap opera

Fuck off back to /a/.

>Today's society is an absolute meme and to resist joining in, you essentially have to become a different kind of meme yourself.

This statement holds more truth than meets the eye. In a society where life is devoid of meaning and identity is no longer composed by values because it'd make no sense anymore, the struggle we face is a struggle between memes. On the one hand I want to feel I belong somewhere, since family and state are not powerful anymore, and ideology switfly fluctuates, so memes fulfill that purpose. On the other hand, I want to be different instead of mindlessly following the herd.

Memes are the product of a society who has acknowledged existentialism but refuses to embrace that which is dreadful, building up a gargantuan masquerade of phoney dalliance,