TALMUD THREAD. ITT SERIOUSLY DISCUSS TALMUDIC LITERATURE AND JUDAICA

SERIOUS TALMUD THREAD.

Is there any such thing as a complete, English-language reproduction of the talmud? Google offers ready possibilities but I'd like input on versions etc.
Does the talmud have principal "apocrypha/bonus content/undiscovered worlds"? If so, what are they?

A short novel which I kinda liked on the topic was The Chosen: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Chosen_(Potok_novel). I also think Penguin has a "talmud sampler" but it doesn't give the page layouts of the blatt, tractates etc I don't imagine.

What is the conventional process whereby rabbis lead observant jews through a study of the talmud? I hear it's a multi-year process, seven years maybe.

t. goy

Other urls found in this thread:

artscroll.com/Items.aspx?hierId=TAL&rewrite=165&page=1
youtube.com/user/JewsforJudaismCanada/videos?sort=p&view=0&flow=grid
artscroll.com/Books/fshas.html
korenpub.com/koren_en_usd/koren/talmud/koren-talmud-bavli-no/talmud-bavli-noe-large-size-color-complete-set.html
amazon.com/Talmud-Selection-Penguin-Classics/dp/014144178X
sefaria.org/texts/Talmud/Bavli
halakhah.com/
myjewishlearning.com/article/what-do-jews-believe-about-jesus/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

You can get a full Talmud in English, buddy, but it's going to cost you thousands of dollars and several shelves (runs to 72 volumes in the Artscroll edition): artscroll.com/Items.aspx?hierId=TAL&rewrite=165&page=1

It looks like they have electronic editions, though.

Damn, Jewish books just have such gravity to them, but I find them incomprehensible. And I'm Jewish. Kant makes more sense. Been working my way through pic related all year, though, so that I have some base.

Which volume deals with subversion?

Midrash is legit. It's like the Jewish apocrypha. Aside from the actual Jewish apocrypha.

nobody would, or could, read it. imagine an infinite leviticus but less interesting

Please do not confuse the Hebrew bible, or to the Christians "The Old Testament", with the Talmud.

Steal a scroll from a synagogue!

The history of rabbis being autistic strongly suggests otherwise. a legalese, traditional process. Perhaps you are confusing the would-be english translation, as a boredom, with the "authenticity" of the original, which is somehow so much more interesting.

I know the difference between the Tanakh and the Talmud, I'm just saying I want to finish the source text before I read the commentaries on the commentaries on the commentaries.

Should we start a Veeky Forums daf yomi? Would that be totally absurd?

its sort of interesting that somebody would read a zillion words rehashing the same shit over and over again

>tfw think I might be one of the 36 righteous people

It's like they actually think that books could teach them something and that it might be important to learn it.

It would be absurd in two senses: 1) this place is not the forum for such a long-term project, and 2) I'm no jew but I think it's reasonable to suppose that a rabbi should lead such a discussion. And rabbis are naturally most concerned with the cultural reproduction in their own people; jews.

Explain, please (why not?!)

If you claim to be one of the 36 you aren't.

I hereby proclaim that I am not a righteous person. All anons before my presence may kiss the royal hand.

My first act shall be to have 35 righteous people slaughtered without mercy.
My second act shall be to end Judaism and to order that all Jew gold must be turned over to my treasury.
My third act shall be to make myself God of this world.

Kneel before me, yids and goys. I am Kira!

forgot pic

Since reading Gravity's Rainbow, I've delved into Jewish mysticism to better understand what Pynchon was getting at.
It's actually fucking terrifying.

The Talmud is a handy little tool for the following:
>how-tos on invocation of demons
>how-tos on human sacrifice
>how-tos on sapping human energy for your own purpose
>phases of human evolution have already been laid out: we're reaching the end of another one of those "allocated periods" for civilizations (think the greymarch from the shivering isles)
>this info goes back far beyond our understanding
>stems from the more esoteric developments of Hermes' followers

leads me to believe the validity of many "conspiracies"
Leads me to believe the consensus Manly Hall has about the true age of the great pyramid being ~60,000

Recs on where to start?

norman solomon's selection is on librarygenesis

>Is there any such thing as a complete, English-language reproduction of the talmud?
Soncino Talmud for the Babylonian Talmud.

The Jerusalem Talmud hasn't been fully translated in English AFAIK but its role in Judaism is very limited, it barely even has a modern Hebrew translation, it was ignored by Talmudic scholars and commentators. It's stuff concerning the Holy Land, for example agricultural laws limted to Isreael, instead of something useable by Jews all over the world, on top of that it's difficult even for the best Talmudic scholars.

Cringe. Please leave.

Goy here I really want to understand why Jews reject Jesus as the Messiah when both Christianity and Islam agree he is. Any book recommendations on this topic?

I just don't see how you can't see the prefigurations of Christ in the OT in Abel, Jonah, Elijah, etc... Like how can you not recognize that this is all pointing towards Jesus?

t. heretic

youtube.com/user/JewsforJudaismCanada/videos?sort=p&view=0&flow=grid

/thread

There are a few good translations actually!

user mention ArtScroll, which are the nicest physical editions you can get, but the whole set will break your bank.
artscroll.com/Books/fshas.html

There's the slightly cheaper but still very expensive Koren edition. Translation isn't complete yet.
korenpub.com/koren_en_usd/koren/talmud/koren-talmud-bavli-no/talmud-bavli-noe-large-size-color-complete-set.html

For a cheaper (heavily abridged) version, there's the Penguin Classics translation
amazon.com/Talmud-Selection-Penguin-Classics/dp/014144178X

There's the Sefaria translation by William Davidson which you can read for free online. I've had it recommended by religious jews so it must be good. It's not complete yet.
sefaria.org/texts/Talmud/Bavli

There's the old Soncino translation that also free online and is complete. There's also a handy free app.
halakhah.com/

I'm a big fan of that Tanach translation, it seems more poetic than most others but is always very accurate when I've checked particular translation issues. Only downside is that it only uses the Masoretic Text as a base, modern Christian translations use more textual sources to find the oldest readings.

OK thanks I'm going to get started on this.

Could you explain the difference between the Masoretic text and whatever it is that Christians use? I was under the impression that the Masoretic text was the most authoritative. To be fair, I'm also not particularly concerned with how Christians read it.

Masoretic Text is the authoritative text for jews, certainly. But it became settled as a text in the early middle ages, so any variants that crept in before then became stuck. Western Christians use the Masoretic Text as the main text, but also consult the ancient greek translation which preserves some older readings, the ancient latin translation, the ancient Syriac aramaic translation, and importantly the Dead Sea Scrolls which are 70 AD at the latest and so definitely predate the Masoretic Text.

Of course, the jewish view is that the MT was preserved by faithful jews so is more reliable. I'm not religious so I tend to go with critical scholars over religious ones.

This page is also informative
myjewishlearning.com/article/what-do-jews-believe-about-jesus/