To understand all is to forgive all

>To understand all is to forgive all.

Do you agree with this?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laplace's_demon#Cantor_diagonalization
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

That means everything is unforgivable.

I liked the part where he burned the other guy's teddy bear and said "Truly this was Brideshead Revisited."

That's really fucking stupid because the point of forgiveness is to drop contempt towards someone for a wrongful act not to decide they were justified
Its the kind of pathetic attitude degenerates and niggers would promote. I kno it looks like I dun somthin but I actually dindu nuffin if you knew my perspective homes

I'm a man who would rather be known as a cuckold than a fool.

To forgive means to realize things ought to have happened the way they happened. It sucks, but it's what happened, what do we do with it from now on? That's forgiveness, to stop trying to erase or change the past.

I don't think you've actually refuted the quote here. Read it again.

Well, if you believe Socrates, in that perfect knowledge precludes bad actions (that no one knowingly does evil), then... I guess so. "A good man cannot be harmed."

This has nothing to do with extrinsic factors, specially justifying the other person's actions, try reinterpreting my man

Not him, but I too think he read it right.

If you hold a completely deterministic view, accountability erodes as a consequence and
the same is true for ethical sovereignty. This is not to say determinism isn't compatible with holding someone in contempt, or punishing them.

Man you can't tell he is prejudiced from the latter part of his post i.e.
>Its the kind of pathetic attitude degenerates and niggers would promote. I kno it looks like I dun somthin but I actually dindu nuffin if you knew my perspective homes

Man who is that far gone on riding the pop culture alt right bandwagon isn't rational, he is by definition a reactionary.

How are these mutually exclusive, baitlord

>rational
>not a reactionary

Pick one

But he seems to think the quote asks for us to accept the justification for wrongful acts, when the quote only mentions forgiveness and not justification.

Wrong, the quote doesn't "ask", anything, it implies if you can't forgive someone its because you lack a certain knowledge of why they did what they did which is bullshit. Typical Liberal self righteousness.

Okay nevermind. You're just trying to turn this into some half-assed political debate so I'm going back to bed.

Good, dont come back little reddit bitch

I can still give your needy ass some attention from my bed you dull cunt ;)

oh yeah, you're half right. he's just retarded and contradicts himself. His problem is with forgiveness in general, he hasn't even addressed the quote.

>His problem is with forgiveness in general

Completely missing the point you stupid fuck. I have no problem with real forgiveness, which is when someone does something bad that you can't see as justifiable but you forgive them anyway. Its an active choice to look past the bad and strive back to a sense of fraternity not an automatic entitlement of the transgressor

I don't think "understand" means "know" in this context. To know that someone robbed you because they needed money and to understand that they needed money are quite different things.

poor baby, you're still not making much sense, but most importantly you still haven't said anything related to the OP. S'okay babes, I got you.

Understanding isn't forgiveness, it's agreement. You forgive someone despite disagreeing with them.

>they needed money

See there it fucking is. No I don't need to forgive some nigger because he "needed" to get high. I might forgive him if I'm a good Christian but it sure as fuck isn't a necessary extension of understanding

See obnoxious cunt

Understanding isn't agreement. Why can't the quote be read from a deterministic standpoint. Robbing the person you hold in contempt of ethical sovereignty and forgiving him as a consequence. Although, like I said, I think determinism is compatible with contempt, but most determinists don't.

>I agree with you but let me point out the obvious anyway

Huh?

I do. You may still choose to hold grudges despite understanding but it's more of an act of clinging to some definition of yourself than true grudge. It's a shaky ground for me and i'm not sure what the right thing is but it's an interesting topic.

For an example: you may forgive someone that has killed everyone that you love, you just do because his perspective makes sense. Now do you let go and move on as being or do you honor people that are important to you by going for the revenge route? I do believe that letting go is an answer that will feel good but then what about your connections? Are they special, do they matter? What is the endgame, go go through life completely unattached? Is that truly the right thing?

>Understanding isn't agreement.
Complete understanding is. "I'd do the same in that situation"

Oh I see, you're retarded. Words don't mean what you want them to mean.

>you wouldn't exist if Hitler didn't exist

?

>?
It's impossible to know everything and understand everything, so it'd be impossible to forgive everything.

I realize this is probably futile, some people literally can't appreciate nuance or logic, and in fact tend to be the most vocal (and belligerent) but...It's not a question of want, but of context and definition. It's less what the word means, and more what the sentence means. You see?

nope. I have given you an instance in which complete understanding isn't synonymous with sanctioning someone's ethics.

It's like half the people in this thread don't understand the quote.
>To understand all is to forgive all.

When it says "To understand," this implies that you can "see" the thought process of why someone did something. If you robbed me, but were homeless and needed food, then I could "understand" your thought process.
What this means is that the quote states that when you understand somebodies actions, you forgive them. The problem with that is that even though I may understand why a homeless person would rob me, I wouldn't forgive them, because there are other ways to go about getting money.
To understand all means you have an understanding of why all people do the things they do, specifically "bad" things. To forgive all is to stop holding a grudge on someone despite them doing something bad. To understand is not to forgive.

That's like saying someone should know better when you yourself realize they CAN'T know better. It's a contradiction, regardless of how you obfuscate it.

It speaks a truth, but as an absolute statement it’s too tricky to say. Some kinds of refusal to forgive come from an intimate understanding.

>degenerates and niggers
opinion discarded

this. hatred is a very personal emotion

You shouldn't assume it's impossible to know and understand everything.

The statement doesn't mean that everything or anything is unforgivable, even lacking omniscience.

Yeah, niggers have no agency and degeneration is a spook.

The only way to full understand another is to be another, by definition it is impossible. Someone else itt mentioned determinism, a similar objection has been made to the idea of Laplace's demon.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laplace's_demon#Cantor_diagonalization

You cannot know everything without being apart from everything, and thus it cannot be everything.

I would have to say no. Case in point: we each of us understand Griffith and why he chose to do what he did during the eclipse yet who would forgive him. Perhaps in this case some will say, to understand all is to know Griffith did nothing wrong.

To take it to an even more autistic direction, consider God. He is the metric for understanding all in a literal sense, yet he does not forgive all. The distinction is that He is willing to forgive all but not necessarily that He does.

I understand you enough not to forgive you for that post.

Yikes, to be oneself is not necessarily to understand oneself. The point that you can only understand that which you are is not self-evident, nor is it even clear that anyone can truly know anyone's self. I don't tend to make the conversations in this domain political but even thinking so betrays a political affiliation that you may not even realize you have (fitting considering the point). It's very reminiscent of the 'sit down, shut up, and listen to my problems' culture that follows whenever we accept that no one can truly understand another (in our age, another race or gender but if pushed to the logical conclusion and this is what intersectionality begins to do, another individual).

I suppose that is one of the great things about literature, especially the novel. It can teach a person that they've actually had something in them that they did not even realize.

worst thread ever, holy shit.

congrats, guys.

yeah but it was hilarious so no regretz

Take a logic class sometime. A -> B does not mean B - > A.

>TAKE A CLASS!

>The only way to full understand another is to be another
Pretty sure my post is relevant, buddy boy!

>Man you can't
>Man who is that far gone
Commiefornia confirmed

There is no correlation.
This is cuck land ideals.

It's not, it's impossible to fully understand another person without being that person, but being a person doesn't necessarily mean you understand yourself. This is like high school level truth tables, user...

Fuck off Lord Bullingdon

the /pol/ack once again folds and contorts the paper plane of his phenomenal reality to suit the ugly narrow meshes of his hyperpolitical poz infected brain

I think you missed my final point; it's easy to when your only concern is flexing your muscles in the fun house reflection known as Veeky Forums.