What is the Veeky Forums approved Bible? I remember seeing it on here ages ago and now i can't find it...

What is the Veeky Forums approved Bible? I remember seeing it on here ages ago and now i can't find it, I could have sworn it was Oxford edition but I can not find it.

Other urls found in this thread:

angeluspress.org/products/haydock)
thomasnelson.com/the-orthodox-study-bible).
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

this isn't it but i found this while looking and this looks pretty legit... my girlfriend is trying to buy me a bible and I want a good one not a shit normie one.

I think this is it. Can anyone confirm this it good and if it doesn't exclude any books/verses?

That looks like the third edition, the fourth edition has loads more material. It's probably the best Bible available. You can get it on Amazon.

The Oxford KJV is better than most, it has the Apocrypha, the original "Translators to the reader" essay, useful new essays, and maps. The NOAB is the one to get though.

The Oxford Annotated Bible is le intellectual's Bible. There are four versions. RSV with Apocrypha, RSV without Apocrypha, NRSV with Apocrypha, NRSV without Apocrypha. The RSV with Apocrypha is the best le intellectual's Bible. I only ever see it recommended by atheists desu. I own the NRSV with Apocrypha. I bought it while still le intellectual. Would not recommend it. It is very Veeky Forums though. Great for if you want to have a Bible on your shelf but are worried people might mistake you for a Christian.

>I want a good one not a shit normie one
What do you want it for?

personal study, I want to actually read it and have the best resource on hand.

the NOAB??? which one is that? could you post the cover??

New Oxford Annotated Bible! The fourth edition has lots more material than the third, like I said. Pretty much perfect for study.

is it kjv??

No, NRSV

>NRSV

so non-gender-binary

does it change anything crucial? I mean, I'll admit I'm pretty illiterate about the Bible and all, but isn't kjv the best version you can read to understand the original meaning of the Bible, since it was the original way it was written?

Er, no. The KJV is just a translation like any other. It's a revision of older translations itself.

Reminder New International Version is THE Veeky Forums Bible for both experiencing the beautiful prose of the original text and propositional accuracy

The one with least added shit.

didn't they take verses out of it throughout history???

Not really, but I know what you're referring to. The KJV includes some bits that only exist in later greek manuscripts, but not the earliest ones, meaning they were added later and aren't original. Modern translations usually put these in brackets or move them to a footnote, since they weren't written by the original author.

>not posting the real chart

If you're reading the bible as a primer before tackling western literature, KJV will still give you the best historical context.

>personal study, I want to actually read it and have the best resource on hand.
It depends on how you want to study it. If you want to read commentary from people who presuppose that Christianity is not true, then get the NOAB RSV w/ Apocrypha.

If you want commentary from people who come out of the tradition that produced the texts, then get a Haydock Bible (angeluspress.org/products/haydock) or an Orthodox Study Bible (thomasnelson.com/the-orthodox-study-bible).

Chances are, you probably want the latter even if you think you want the former. That's what happened to me. Save time and money and go with the latter type.

so what is the general consensus????? niv w/ apocrypha?

The essays are useful, but if you're getting KJV you want something packed with explanatory notes and sources and so on and you should spend the extra bucks to get Norton's KJV

KJV you faggot

I think we can all agree to NOT get the NIV.

Give one (1) reason why not

as much as these university annotated editions seem fantastic, your average study bible has just as many if not more glosses, explanatory notes, and appended essays by scholars

>Orthodox

What's Veeky Forums's thoughts on the NET Bible? Never see anyone bring that one up, apparently its the most recent, and closest to the original texts.