What is your career, Veeky Forums? What do you like about it? What do you not like about it?

What is your career, Veeky Forums? What do you like about it? What do you not like about it?

pic unrelated

I work in a factory.

I'm a world famous artist.

im a racist and this picture makes me angry.

*autist

D-damn...

Me too. How do you feel about it?

t. hasn't read Plato

since when are the Minoans African?

I'm a behavioral interventionist in the residential department of a mental health organization. I work primarily with teen sex offenders.

>What do you like about it?
I get time to read and I can wear what I want. I get to out manipulate highly manipulative individuals. I like the comradery, too. There's lots of aggression, screaming, etc, and you get to see what colleagues are made of pretty quickly. I also think it's challenging to humanize sex offenders, even if they're just teens. It takes a lot of willpower to be kind and caring to a sex offender. I think it's the key thing that really helps them rehabilitate, though.
>What do you not like about it?
Sex offenders
Administrative bullshit
Paperwork
Unqualified colleagues who just make things worse
People interrupting me when I read
People interrupting me when I play Punch Out

I do drive big trucks for construction deliveries and warehouse shit. I fuggin love it, shits so relaxed.

I work in derivatives risk management. Good name for outsiders who think I do complicated stuff and rake big bucks when in reality I'm like a professional puzzle solver for the sales team, or the front office's bitch depending on how you spin it.

I like that it is intellectually challenging, I have above average compensation if I worked outside of finance, I don't get yelled at and I have way more job stability than the sales guys. I dislike the hours and sometimes sheer workload will bury your week and you can't do anything about it.

I'm a college student majoring in math and doing collegiate track and field. no job

I work on a submarine. It's like I voluntarily decide to go to prison everyday.

are you aware of the research on the hereditary nature of the behavioral traits associated with sexual violence? how does that affect your dealings with the offenders? are you aware many of them are being sexually abused in prisons and jails by members of the corrections department, leo’s and other prisoners/patients? are you aware many of them are pathological liars and also cowards? im interested in you, please respond soon user

Hello again, Tom!

I work in Hollywood. I hate it, but it pays the bills. Met some brilliant assholes, but mostly I'm surrounded by absolute people with terrible taste. I blame LA for most of the cultural degradation in the west.

I'm a union ironworker on the plus side it's pretty enjoyable, the chaotic work environment where you are welding shit several stories in the air is fun and there's something about being outside and working with my hands that gives me a raging hard on, the $33 an hour with ample overtime is pretty nice too. The downside is the constant uncertainty and long periods of inactivity. I only work 6-8 months out of the year unless there's a big project going on. During an extended lay off it gets really depressing and I usually spend my days getting drunk waiting for a job.

When the next scandal comes out who will it be?

I'm around screw ups, Mexicans and ex-cons. I love the job. Hopefully I'll get promoted to a more stable job instead of just a laborer.

I’m a manager at Chipotle

>What is your career, Veeky Forums?
I'm employed by the ministry of education and am charged with organizing public lectures on politics
>What do you like about it?
I can do whatever I want as long as I choose speakers carefully.
>What do you not like about it?
It feels like propaganda at times. People tell me it's propaganda all the time.

I sell books in a popular chain bookstore.

I get a big discount so its alright.

I work in the PR section of Digital Playground. Lots of hot thots!

t. Hasn't read Plato in Greek and makes false equivalences to modern english vocabulary

>are you aware of the research on the hereditary nature of the behavioral traits associated with sexual violence?

Only vaguely. Want to point me in the right direction before I just Google it?

>how does that affect your dealings with the offenders?

My attitude towards them generally swings back and forth from strong compassion to hatred. People have all sorts of inclinations towards all sorts of behavior. Even so, my experience with these kids is that they lack moral foundation. I've been trying to teach them about morality and ethics, it's hard though because the ones that get caught are usually significantly below average intelligence. Combine that with a generally low threshold for stress, low conscientiousness, and parents who baby them (almost all of my clients have no father figure) and you get an individual who is pretty highly resistant to learning. I think I get through to them a little.

>are you aware many of them are being sexually abused in prisons and jails by members of the corrections department, leo’s and other prisoners/patients?

Yeah, I had a client who experienced that. What a surprise that people get sexually abused when you make a bunch of sex offenders live in close quarters. Also mental health work isn't funded well, and the individuals who work in the field tend not to know about basic principles of resource management even if they are well funded. We're understaffed a significant portion of the time. The other thing is that nobody wants to work with these kids because who wants to get spat on and called a nigger for 6 hours? The other week this kid was yelling ""[my name] is a nigger" out the window for like an hour. Then he spat on me six times, once directly into my ear, before the only way I could think of to enforce a boundary with him was to spit on him. This triggered a pretty long spit war. A lot of people quit over stuff like that. What ends up happening is that the company has to lower their standards for qualified individuals because they're desperate for workers. I mean, I got hired lacking some of the fundamental qualifications (didn't have a car or license).

>are you aware many of them are pathological liars and also cowards?

I think an offense of a sexual nature is fundamentally cowardly. Sometimes I try to convince my coworkers that the best thing to do with all sex offenders is to funnel them into a human experimentation program so that they could at least be utilized in some way to the benefit of the community. Otherwise they are usually just drains. Forget the offense, these kids are generally not going to be productive members of society. Sometimes I just lament avout the hopelessness of some of them and how we as the employees have to watch kids who are likely to reoffend be released into the community and it will partially be in us if they do. It got so bad that my manager pulled me aside and asked me not to be so negative in front of the other employees.

What's the basis of your interest?

I work in IT.
Like fixing shit.
Hate the people.

I'm a history teacher
I love being a prick to kids
It's all around ok, but I don't see myself doing the same thing my whole life

I work retail/morning stock. It's not many hours in the morning and the pay is decent. Though, it is repetitive and somewhat frustrating for some reason as of lately.

>Like fixing shit.
too bad life is not a problem to be solved even though it has some of that in it
>Hate the people.
I wonder why

I'm a student. Shit sucks

I'm a long-haul trucker. For twelve hours a day I listen to audiobooks of Charles Dickens alongside scattered episodes of cum town. Recently I've started dreaming in the register of a faggy Victorian Englishman. Yesterday I complimented a tiller at the gas station on the lustre of her blouse, which I found quite striking. I think I'm going insane and will someday be murdered by a fat hick who takes offense to my language

>is a useless profession
>uses it to be abusive and to assume insect authority
riku potterya

The Barnes and Noble discount? I used to work there. Discount was only 30%. That sounds awesome. Why not use the downtime to pursue lit related interests? Or start a side biz?
That sounds challenging. Is there prison rape?

Psychology demonstrator (a.k.a. junior lecturer)

>relaxed and easy
>that we pretend to be a science

I design paid media strategies for large companies.

It's interesting work that has me constantly bumping into interesting issues of our time. The pay is solid and the opportunities for moving are good.

On the downside, marketing as a whole is filled with morons, many of whom unironically buy into the consumerism they're peddling

Post doc researcher. I like doing research and enjoying the lack of responsibilities, for example dealing with students, administration, budgets etc. It's a fun time and life is much more balanced versus when I was doing my PhD.

Pay could be better, but I'm doing okay. I have turned down two job offers in the last 5 months so I'm pretty content here, enough that I don't want to jump on the first thing that comes my way. But I expect an offer shortly and will probably accept it.

I never thought I'd say this, but I'll miss this time. Focusing on research and not having to deal with the lame or tedious aspects is pretty nice.

>Post-doc researcher
In what area senpai?

I'm a naval architect. I like the field, the work is very interesting and challenging. Pay is also decent.

I dislike that gooks and nips are the reference in this area and I had to go into oil tankers, bulk carriers and container ships to have a secure career path outside of the military. I would be more content designing yachts, sailing boats and military ships rather than bread and butter bulkers. I'll try going for a PhD in yachts to switch careers soon probably

I'm a physics student. Shit does'nt suck but boredom is the main problem. How do you keep awake around the lectures?

>Grandpa was union ironworker for like 40-50 years
>I'm a union carpenter
It's bretty good, not gonna lie. A comfy union job, no obligations to work outside of the actual jobs like my little business buddies, good work that keeps me strong, and decent pay. I'm just trying to have enough money to support me and the GF while we make art together until we accidentales start a family.

I worked in factory for half a year, currently working on becoming welder, becouse I loved it, there was something peaceful and fullfiling in getting told what you must do in a day and trying to do more to get better payment. The people were amazing also, as you said screw ups and other "low lifes", however I found them more genuine, likable, moral and respectful than any of my student acquintances or proffesors, even chief operator had better relationship with his workers than proffesor with his students. Life of those people was just beautifully simple, almost zen like, and in those months I have completely changed my priorities to be more traditional. I'd recommend working in heavy manual labor industry to all young people.

that is great

i almost had a career in marketing, then left, because of the consumerist bullshit. I think it is much easier to perform well in marketing if you actually believe the shit. Otherwaise, man, it just drains your soul.

I now work in Finance doing complete abstract shit almost out of reality, find this much more bearable

I'm a physician working with smack addicts.
>what do you like?
Friendly personnel, lots of freedom, barely any workload compared to previous jobs
>what do you not like about it?
some particular patients, lack of variety and the eternal fight with the administration

lmao I read "snack addicts" at first

I'm a paralegal in a solicitor's office.

It's alright. The police briefs and psych reports of our Legal Aid clients are always either super amusing or super depressing to read.

Pay is alright. Hours are alright on paper but I always have to stay 30 minutes - 1 hour late every day. I'm trying to get that under control with my boss. I don't want to straight up say "give me the hours we agreed on or I quit" because I like working here, but at the same time he needs to give me the hours we agreed on or I am going to quit.

I think criminal law can be very interesting because you have these incredibly educated barristers, Judges, psych and medical experts, etc. etc. - and then you have the clinically retarded offender whose parents took turns raping him when he was 7. It's quite a contrast.

I always wanted to work in a big skyscraper in the city and now I do!

Also our Legal Aid clients have the absolute best fucking names. I steal so many of them for my writing.

I'm a support worker to adults with Autism

I like being in the life of the high functioning guys, cracking jokes, explaining things, imparting living skills like cooking meals & trying to cultivate hobbies, contacts and supporting socialization

With the less well functioning guys, sometimes we have a giggle, we make them happy and comfortable and engage them in tasks and promote that feel-good-factor

But some days you turn up for work and you're designated to work with, for instance, a guy that turns up, lets out a low whine, splats his three hundred pound frame into a beanbag and scream-cries for six hours, refusing any offered activity.

Good man if tru.

>recovering addict, used to work in union organizing, currently interning for position as lobbyist

What do you do exactly? do you work for a company or you're independent?

How did you get that job?

I work as a cashier, I hate it, coworkers are nice though.

high school english teacher

part time community college lecturer (I teach intro to lit here and low-level rhetoric and writing)

Because I have my masters, I make about $44,000 a year as a teacher, and about 12,000 extra being a community college lecturer. It's livable wages, I love working with kids and trying to get them to think critically through english studies. I also try to incorporate a lot of other stuff like resume writing and general technical writing to make the work relevant for those who aren't going to college.

uni student: ChemE & math double major. shits tough but i still make time to do the things i want to do like read and run. work at a running shoe store part time and get paid to talk about my hobbies and dick around, its pretty great

at least I said I'm going to change it soner or later

Pharmacy student (almost graduate now). I like the topics in general but man has it been a long ride. Loved Pharmacology and O Chem. Some courses are shit though (as it is everywhere i guess). Overall ok.

>itt people with a severe need of blogs

electrical engineering student who works full time as a security guard.

only half Veeky Forums lifestyle

I am a homeless person. I do not not like anything about it.

How's teaching for someone who's massively introverted? I've got a bit of a history being short-tempered and having something to focus on is pretty much the only thing that keeps me sane.

One of my colleagues in student teaching was massively introverted, and it did not work well for him. He was constantly chastised for it.

If you are interested in it, you need to step up and extrovert yourself and develop a love for working with kids and all their emotional baggage. I'm kind of young myself (24 - started my masters during my first year of teaching) so I still can kind of relate to what's going on with these kids

Do you have any subsidized housing options in your municipality? Are you abusing any addictive substances? Do you have any skills? You have enough money to get a shave, haircut and then the will to go get an app at McDanks?

Work at Underground gold mine.

Job: Communications Technician.
Radios
Tracking
Fibre
Wifi etc