Do you have any holy grails of rare editions that you have or still wish you could have?

Do you have any holy grails of rare editions that you have or still wish you could have?

My holy grails which were pretty rare and took me a while to obtain, were:
-Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep (Easton Press)
-The Master And Margarita (Folio Society)
-The Consumer, by Michael Gira
-Hardcover copy of The Book of Disquiet, translated by Richard Zenith

My ultimate holy grail is the book that you see in the OP picture. A leatherbound copy of the Charles Feidelson Jr annotated Moby Dick. It's apparently only appeared for sale on the internet once in any history I can find through google searching. It sold back in august and I'm kicking myself that I didn't notice it back then. I'm going to have unrequited dreams for quite a while, I'm sure.

How expensive are these collections anyways?

I looked up some Folio editions and they were all 500+ dollars. If you wanted a collection of Shakespeare's plays in must run you nearly 5000 - 10 000 dollars. Just for fucking books.

I couldn't care a damn about physical books and I find your desires here to be vain and pathetic

>just for books
It's not your thing, it is other people's thing.

The prices on these books vary drastically. The consumer, book of disquiet, and do androids dream of electric sheep ran me about 200 dollars each, but they can all vary wildly in price. The current do androids dream of electric sheep easton press copy is going for about 500 dollars on amazon right now. The master and margarita I got for about 120 from a local England ebay auction in which I convinced the seller to ship it internationally.

I would love to collect it if I ever managed to afford it. But it strikes me as a rich man's hobby: like golfing.

A really beautiful book is a work of art itself. I don't know why edition I had, but when I went to university I read a very nice light-blue, leather-bound, gold etched, copy of Leaves of Grass. The best looking book I ever saw. The pages themselves looked amazing and textured even.

But desu I'd sooner drop 5000 on an amazing TV, an amazing Computer, and still have some left over for an amazing camera. Hopefully a drone some day to. I want to LARP as a film maker.

But a bookshelf of folio would be the cherry on top.

Wanting nice books is a gift inunitself. Its not about how you look to other people. Although that's nice too

>Its not about how you look to other people.

Suuuuuuuuuure

It's really not. If you've ever appreciated anything visually or texturally you can understand the appeal of high quality books.

You don't know what you're missing until you see a miss-mash of random weather editions that are varying heights and widths on a bookshelf.

If you get things all in uniform editions it looks and feels satisfying. Like a kitchen/living room that all has matching decor and a complimentary color scheme. Instead of a random assortment of cheap shitty furnishing or ugly ass chipped paint.

SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURRE

lol I don't have any physical books. I just download epubs to my phone

this is really your argument? that you spend $200 on a $5 book so that it looks uniform on your shelves?
are you a booktuber as well?

I like how you respond to this post as if it's from the OP, it's not. Btw, I have no objection to the poster you replied to either. I'm sick of butthurt poor people getting all flustered at the sight of someone who has enough money that they don't have to pirate books. Please go fuck yourself and chew on a decaying rat carcass or something you cheap fucking pig. Philistines, get off my board.

oh jeez

see I pirate most of my books, or buy them at value/village, second hand, or go to the library etc. I really really don't like to spend much on reading when its so accessible.

But if I had money? Hell yes. I would absolutely spend some luxury dollars on a nice collection of my favorites. Books I intend to re-read so that they hold together and look and feel nice. And anyways, the money is ultimately going to go back to the industry which desperately need more.

lol dork, if I had money I'd buy a nice car and several huskies not some fucking books

I have an ouroboros press printing of the rosicrucian manifestos but that's about it.

bump

bump

I own sixteen books from the 18th century and one book from the 17th century. I will be buying more during Christmas.

Here they are.

The first two books (left to right) are from the 19th century. The last one (left to right) is from 1803.

The other three old books I own are at my sister's: a 1740's Boileau, a 1700's Pope, and a 1670's St Jerome done into French.

You are really pretentious

I have a Lemony Snicket signed SoUE book. The only cool or unusual book I own I suppose.

>lol dork likes to read
>He says on an internet literature forum for NEETs

I only buy penguin classic edition