Can this book get any more boring

Can this book get any more boring

It picks up eventually

>tfw guilt really does make you lie in bed all day

fuck you, it's great

It's the best crime novel written in the past 150 years.

>tfw read it while I was sick with a fever

I'm in the same boat OP. I need to finish this book in 3 days
I feel like the insanity from the book is spreading to me

Works as intended, then

That's his most exciting book you complete pleb

Raskolnikov and Porfiry's conversation made me want to kill myself knowing I'll never be able to write such a charged, traumatic, and horrifying encounter like that

honestly that was one of the best moments of the book along with the horse dream

holy shit.

if you find this book unengaging then youve failed the pleb filter, hard.

gtfo off my board you unironic p zombie normie scum

go back to reading pretty little liars novellas

katerina ivanovna's memorial dinner with the crappy food all the shitty bugpeople who came for the free meal was gut wrenching too

Read Death Note. Much better.

Shit up fag. Go watch your faggot scooby doo

>Raskolnikov’s mother going crazy, expecting his son to come back and finally dying

What was the best >150 years ago?

Bible, where did they hide the body?

Oh fuck you're right

Yes, it gets progressively more tedious until it ends badly. Not one of the worst books I've ever read, but if you don't absolutely need to read it, I'd say put it down

I think the first half is boring then it starts getting exciting

>the absolute state of Veeky Forums

Crime and Punishment made me treat my mother better.

is it possible to be this wrong

Ipso facto

Sorry that I don't know Russian, I'm willing to admit that it may have been the translation that ruined the prose. I'm also willing to grant that the translation is what made it incredibly predictable. But in the translation I read I found: stale prose, a tiresome plot, and hackneyed ideas. Now I'm sure some brainlet will call me a brainlet or a pseud

all of that talk about the shitty translation you're reading, but you don't even bother telling us which translation it is that you are actually reading.

Constance Garnett

It could with some editing. Half of it is Raskolnikov pleading with people to leave his room.

agreed

yeah i kept waiting for him to come out of his brooding psychosomatic delirium and get his act together

it never happened until the last four pages

in retrospect it feels like a parable for young adults, not great literature. but mb im just jaded & brainlet

C&P can't get more boring as it's already been written.

>not the actual murder scene

one of the best in history desu

Try McDuff

>plot babies

Literally one of the most exciting of the major novels kek

Yeah, you could've written it

I'm German and will thus read one of the acclaimed German translations, but is there anyone who could compare the English and German translations? Which English translation is considered to be the best?

Read Geier translation in german its excellent desu

this

I see why people really like Dostoevsky and he is quite the geometer of plot, but I don't understand how people derive any life insight from his works. Like, how did you not realize all of what he was saying before hand without the need for a book to tell you so? Do you think and exist at the same time? I suppose if you're a really passionate person he hits the spot. To me though he's quaint and never quite demonstrates that he fully understands "madness" like his "teacher" Shakespeare.

I will, but I'm still interested in how it compares to translations in English. It's really tedious to find resources on that.

lol how do they intone katerina ivanovna's bitch landlady's german-russian accent in the german translation

thru the lens of an sjw i can see the book being bigoted against germans, poles, immigrants, dwarves just from that one memorial meal scene

it shit talks jews in many occasions too

try pevear and volkhonsky

>Razumikhin's drunk rambling to Raskolnikov's mother and sister

I've read maybe 10 pages and projected on raskolnikov, hard. Something about a dissatisfied retard that thinks he is better than others while being a complete shit that doesn't know life made me sick.

Should I read blood meridian after this?

> tfw no innocent prostitute waifu

Rodion is a cool guy though.

Lupin and copyright infringement Sherlock holmes

Meant for

why do I find myself so identified with Svidrigailiov
>tfw I don't wanna go to America

>can’t find the most cerebral and thrilling novel written in the history of mankind captivaing
ngmi, user.

I just finished this book, what is the natural progression?

i had this problem bigtime too

rodion seemed to me like a beta turbocuck

some of my friends said they found it hard to not project onto rodion though

How many books have you read, honestly?

He's a bro

Matthew, 7:6

>Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you.

Proverbs 26 11
"As a dog returns to his vomit, so a fool repeats his folly"

*tips fedora*

I would suggest reading the short novel "Notes from the Underground" if you haven't. Then read "The Idiot", then "The Brothers Karamazov". If you want more read "Demons". Also all of his short stories are excellent and worth reading.

just started this after it was recommended to me, 8 hours in and halfway done. im totally captivated, not sure why op hasn't made his case, but i can think of a few reasons -- but imo i love it thus far,
was reading about these as starters to Dostoyevsky but started with C&P anyway, will probably follow up with them. i dont like reading the same author in succession though.

I started with C&P also. I've read most of his work since then. I personally don't think the order in which you read him is actually that important.

Does anyone know which translations are the best for Dostoevsky? Or are all equally good?

Fuck me. Veeky Forums has really taken a nosedive into nothing but trash

I have heard Pevear is good and the public domain one is bad.

I have heard some good things about the translation that came out a few weeks ago.

I have only read pevear but liked its formal, not-goofy style