Veeky Forums goals

What are your Veeky Forums goals?

Other urls found in this thread:

catdir.loc.gov/catdir/samples/cam051/2004045891.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

To read War and Peace.

finish the western canon

Sticking my tongue up the asshole of a hot girl who doesn't want money to let me do it

to not be self-pretentious

Kill myself 2018

to let a girl kick my balls till I'm rendered infertile and have chronic testicular pain

To escape this notion of generalized obligatory reading, be it canon or direct lines of influence between authors, and cultivate a more acute and personal sense of taste and discernment.
I have too many books on my my shelf to read because "well it's supposed to be good" and I'm only recently come to terms with how arbitrary a measure that is. I want to believe reading is far more valuable than just passing the time turning pages in front of my face, I want to think there's a reason of greater pursuit behind each choice of book. People devote their lives to taking this seriously and I'm handicapping myself if I don't as well. More and more I find that Schopenhauer essay in the back of my head when I grab a book without a goal.
Also I'd like to break out of this monolinguism.

have you heard of the concept of enjoying yourself/having fun? just read a book without purpose

I don't need to spend hours in a chair by myself for that. This is the current year, entertainment is cheap and everywhere. I can hang out with friends, drinking beer and playing mario kart. Or literally anything else. If you're expending effort and time why not direct it towards something constructive and meaningful if the opportunity is there somewhere? Treating reading the same way you treat netflix makes no sense to me, like noodling on a guitar for hours each day but never writing a song.

And I do enjoy literature, but I don't want to lose myself is the issue.

Understand Deleuze

I don't actually read myself to be fair, so I can't stand that much up for reading.
I actually agree that spending time with friends or some other sort of entertainment is better than reading, and therefore reading becomes pointless.

But if you want to learn any skill (science, arts, programming, trading) books are superior. Also books can help you understand different conflicts, psychology and make you better in language, which is important for logic, reasoning and communication.
Maybe limit your reading if you feel you're reading too much?

EXPLAIN DELEUZE TO ME. DON'T DUMB IT DOWN TO SOME VAGUE SHIT

to read all the gay lit that you faggots drool over and then realize its a massive waste of time and that life has no meaning or direction and literature is one of the more pathetic attempts to pin down reality for scared little ape-monsters

freeform jazz philosophy

where the FUCk is deleuzeanon when we need him
i need to understand aswell

that I'll leave this place

It's nonsense, and I'm not saying that as someone who hates continental philosophy - because I'm not - but rather as someone who's intellectually honest.

Yeah I get that about nonfic. You say "I want to learn javascript," so you go out and get a book on javascript and work through it, and then get a book more advanced and keep working. But when you read literature you start with "I'm going to read Faulkner's Collected Stories," what is the aspect driving that? Is it because he is a big american author? Because he's fun to read? Because I read his other works and want to get more of them "completed"? Because he influenced this author I read, or got influenced by this other author I read? All of these are weightless flimsy reasons that only serve to justify the reading, instead of the reading justifying the drive to read. You don't get that "I'm going to learn javascript" moment. For an example in literature I can fully throw myself into any Goethe on command because I'm trying to figure out what made him tick so I can model myself and hopefully gain at least a thousandth of his capabilities. I'm not reading him because I heard he's an important German writer who I'm just checking off a list, I actually have something in mind by pursuing it. What I want is the ability to confidently throw my weight behind my reading in this way every single time rather than just reading an obscure eastern bloc writer cause the description sounds alright and he's influenced by Kafka and I like Kafka, etc.

intellectually honest = advertise your imbecility

To finally understand a Cliff review.

to read for the first time in ~ 7 years (since high school)

Considering how crippling my depression/loneliness is making me i'd settle for just reading any book at this point.

Maladaptive daydreaming is a bitch, cripples and exhausts me so much.

To abandon all of my natural talents for literary and philosophical analysis to catch a brief glimmer behind the opaque crystal of that ideal language known as mathematics.

This, lit is very dumb compared to sci, mathematics is the superior form of knowledge, I need to learn math too. Good luck friend.

Become fluent in ___my sixth language. Marry someone and move to related country, get divorced and write about it.

why not both?

>superior form of knowledge

Yes, stick to STEM. Philosophy is clearly not your strength.

>why not both?
I do study both, actually all three. I just wanted to be edgy.

>I don't actually read myself to be fair, so I can't stand that much up for reading.
I actually agree that spending time with friends or some other sort of entertainment is better than reading, and therefore reading becomes pointless.
god...

Read the ancient Greek philosophers in their original language. Learn and read the Latin classics too. After that, deutsch and enough nietzsche, kant, and hegel to kill a small dog. I think that's enough for one life.

books are friends... for people who are too disappointed in the world, or rejected by it, to have any consistent or normal ones.

*blocks your path*

>have you heard of the concept of enjoying yourself/having fun?
Explain.

Read a substantial portion of philosophical thought, including some philosophy of history, and combine all of this with some ideas from mathematics regarding logical systems in order to explain various behavioral dynamics in humans, and to possibly be able to predict certain future "movements." I would be pretty happy if I became the next Spengler and predicted the fall of my country to happen in 10 years, but then it actually takes 9 years, or something like that.

>trying to predict something as complex as human history

I just want to finish my novel.

i just want
to finish his novel

I'm getting there friend. About to have a month off and I plan on making good progress.

becoming widely regarded as the greatest screenwriter of all time. i'm gonna add to my legacy by being grouchy as fuck and talking shit about the industry and the people in it when accepting my awards for best original screenplay.

Keep reading until I die.

to publish at least one short story. i have written several in the last few years, some sci-fi, some just fiction. i know of a few magazines (those are still a thing, right?) that might be appropriate for the sci-fi stuff but i don't even know where to begin otherwise. so instead of researching this shit, i just read more. or write more. or shitpost on Veeky Forums.

>don't even try, you'll fall into error!
>doesn't consider the error may be the fear of falling into error
pic related would like to have a word with you

Hegel didn't predict shit

>Hegel didn't predict shit!
>writes about people like you getting their panties in a knot over someone trying to do anything at all 200 years before you were born
I don't even like Hegel that much, but his Preface is an endless source of early 19th century banter

Philosophy is the only way to reach the highest form of knowledge, looks like you skipped your Plato

To reach the current edge of civilization so that I never have to read anymore of this trash any longer than I must

To write a novel or novel series that sells just well enough to provide me with sufficient funds to live into old age

Publish at least 200 pages of worth-reading poetry while I'm alive, plus some three or four plays, two books of criticism, and a book of miscellaneous notes about unspecified subjects. Also a short book of imitations.

Translate at least some 20 or so books before I die.

Immortalize myself as the father of the greatest artists my country has ever seen. All of my children will receive a JS Mill-like education, but in the direction of poetry, music, and painting exclusively.

"i have trust in you" said Roy and patted me on my shoulders. I felt some distinct disgust at the positivity of my "friend" who had settled on his path of encouragement and trust in the face of my complete disability and failure. "Thanks Roy." i said with a fake smile. "Hey, we are friends, Malcom!" said Roy to me and smiled. "Your friends will always be on your side. You will be a great writer." You don't know shit about writers you fucking idiot. You didn't even read anything from me. I didn't say anything, letting his comments run into silence but i bet the moron interpreted this as me being touched or moved or whatever. "Roy. I would really like to be alone now." i said to Roy and did a fake impression of a sheepish smile while i repressed the urge to stab the guy in his face with some very sharp and long and capable knife. Roy shook his head and said: I won't leave you alone my good friend. I will rather play the piano and you will play the guitar and together we will have a good times jam. So we did and it actually was much better than expected. The song i sang went like this (Roy accompanied my soul-driven guitarplay with a very sensitive and subtle pianoplay of his)

OOOOooooooOOOOOOOoooooOOOOOoooooOOOOoOoooooOOoooOOOOOOOOOOoooOOooooOOOOOoooooOOOOOOooooOOO

and so on.

Roy went home that night and i stood in my little apartment and drank some whiskey when suddenly a man emerged from my cupboard and offered me a hand to shake. I was trying to get closer to his face because i couldn't make up any features. Somehow he seemed to be covered in shadows. He wore a purple suit and hovered above the earth as i now noticed and his skin tone, even i obsucred by shadows was evidently a white that looked suspiciously superficial. I hesistated to reach out with my hand but couldn't resist. As i did i saw a white bright light and a smile spreading across red, feminine lips, lighting up from insid ethe shadows and drawing me in into a blinding light. As the light subsided i found myself in the midst of a crystalline night sky floating far, far above mother earth and hearing the song of the winds which sang their tune of beautiful sadness to my troubled ears. Nomads they were, they sang, nomads who knew no home. Driven, everfurther driven, round and round, never reaching, never staying, twisting and screaming, moving beyond and beyond, never resting, never sleeping, always venturing forth, round and round, at all times, forevermore. Such things sang the winds in their very own language but i rose even above until the sky was beneath me. and now it seemed just as small, just as helpless as the creatures down on mother earth. How vain even the world appeared from my heights. Suddenly a light emerged in the chaos of infinite space, widening and eating up all the nothingness and all the worlds which had been laid out around me. I too was sucked in and found myself back in my room. The figure with the purple suit and the feminine red smile floated back into

not strictly a Veeky Forums goal but I want to be able to read german fluently. If I can achieve that I will also attempt to learn to read french.

>To escape this notion of generalized obligatory reading, be it canon or direct lines of influence between authors, and cultivate a more acute and personal sense of taste and discernment.

Yes I do this too. I have a shelves full of "shit that is supposed to be good" because I can't help myself at a cheap used book store.

Hey people that want to understand Deleuze, check this out:
catdir.loc.gov/catdir/samples/cam051/2004045891.pdf

Be sure to buy the book if this interests you. I think it should because its by far the most clearly written explanation of what Deleuze is doing you will find.

I want to produce a book of pure fiction and a book of philosophy.

Doesn't matter if they are ever published, only that I am satisfied with the content.

That's a very concise little pdf. That being said, it really drives home what I hate about pretty much every philosopher he talks about.

Read all pre bitch sister propaganda edited Nietzche.
I'm a college freshman, let me be edgy.
Ammoralist individualist virtue oriented life is fuckin dank.

There's this old eight room house I've been looking at. Cheap, too -- far out in the woods. Problem is that it'd still be a little pricey for me.

I was thinking of renting out the rooms to a gaggle of talented artists. Keep the rent cheap, probably 200 per person.

I have this library I've been adding on to over the years that I'm dying to share. Plus it would be cool to pioneer an artistic think tank.

Would y'all have any interest in that? Maybe even past experiences?

I just want her back, that's all, Veeky Forums. Any books that will help me?