What work of literature reminds you most of being in a dream?

What work of literature reminds you most of being in a dream?

Who do the farts of a qt like this smell like? Is inhaling them pleasant?

This. It's very /dreamy/ in a weird way

JEZABELS GET OUT

PEDRO

The end of Steppenwolf for sure.
Never Ending Story.
Neil Gaiman and Muriakamai both give that feeling sometimes too.

Seconding this. Also recommending Marquez'es full body of work because it feels like its in the same dream universe

The only other one I've read is pic related but it felt very different, much more realistic (much better as well)

the wake

Ulysses. The Sound and the Fury. Call it Sleep.

part of Bleak House.

Italo Calvino’s If on a winter’s night a traveler

A Season In Hell

Houllebecq feels like a quirky nightmare

"The Street of Crocodiles"

The grand meaulnes
Mrs dalloway

>the sound and the fury
Well, Benjy's perspective, at least. Quentin was neurotic, but his was narration more than scenes.

Borges, in that he pursues his premises to their logical conclusions, only to trust taking one step further. Everything feels appropriate to a dream, somehow.

My first instinct was to say Murakami, but his prose is so mundane that it's less like being in a dream; it's more like have a friend describe a dream to you. The imagery is dream-like, but it lacks the characteristic immediacy of dream logic.

Kafka's the Trial

Also, why must you torment me with these Jezebels?

I dunno user, I actually think that Murakami's straight-forward prose works really well with the oniric stuff at times. The hotel and hallways scenes in Wind-Up Bird and the scene in which fish are falling from the sky in Kafka on the Shore are prime examples.

Confessions of an English Opium-Eater

the unconsoled

With My Dog Eyes by Hilda Hilst.
Tropismes by Nathalie Sarraute.
The Nose by Gogol.
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland (sorry if too obvious).
A whole bunch of surrealists from the first half of last century, most of them French. Here's a non-French one, as appetizer: Leonora Carrington.
This, and everything by Bruno Schulz.
Pedro Páramo, definitely.
Yes, a fever dream.
This too, as well as Illuminations.
Indeed, as well as his short shorts.
Kafka and Borges would sit on the more lucid, coherent side of the dream spectrum, with guys like Rimbaud and Schulz at the other end, and Finnegans Wake having just slided off the ledge. But these are all great recommendations, OP.

The hallways are the exception and the example I actually thought of. Again, there's just something matter-of-fact about it all, but it's not the matter-of-factness I associate with dream logic.

Wind-up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami

In Ubik when they’re “waking up” from half-life and they see the ice of the capsule surrounding them, it always reminded me when you’re waking up and try to resist it and you see your surroundings

Bump for interest.

House of leaves. Was reading this after a bad drug experience and this shit got me derealized. The book did not help.

The Third Policeman. Nightmare, though.

I don't think I had ever seen Hilst mentioned here.

this is indeed terrific

The Waves

Lilith

Poor man's Watson.

the works of bruno schulz

Iain Reid's I'm Thinking of Ending Things

Description of a Struggle

Missing Heels

Catch 22 towards the end

Is that a good thing or...?

Like a fever dream at least

A modern masterpiece, and l iterally the correct answer to OP's question. A shame nobody else has brought it up.

Two obvious recs.
Et Dromspell
Die Traumnovelle
You're welcome

The lime twig, but it's more like a nightmare

noone catches the dreamy feel better than Kafkas shortstories, most of the times it's not a pleasant dream tho

That cover looks good

Jesse Ball - Samedi the Deafness