Keeping a journal/diary #2

Which notebook? Edition

I kinda let the previous thread trail off, but people seemed to have a couple of questions still on entries and notebooks. Maybe we can combine this into a general discussion and share of good journaling and writing habits, but whatever.

>Some practical help
Start with self-maintenance. What you do, what you did, are going to do today and this week. It'll give a grounded, concrete foundation to then digress into feelings, abstract plans, other subjects or topics that interest you, etc.
Keeping a record of your dreams is also a good practice. Be sure to do so as soon as you wake up, writing in as much detail as you can.
Use a good notebook that will last a long time.
Use good pens with lots of ink. If you're using a fountain pen (highly recommended), Noodler's ink are good as they are almost always permanant ink so your writing will last and will help commit you to good sentences.
If you write computer entries, be sure to print them out and paste them into a physical notebook on that day, so it doesn't pile up and become awkward when you come to do it six months later.
Keep it up daily.

>A super interesting entry
2 December 2017 (Saturday)

I've done a lot of crochet. Bought yarn.
At first I couldn't find my yarn needle, but then I found it on the floor.
Called mom.
I haven't been eating well due to nausea. I'm on 50 mg of Elvanse right now.
Found an unopened bottle of melatonin.
Tomorrow: eat and crochet.
This week: project, dissertation ceremony.
I hope N make their decision, no matter how it turns out.
The future feels uncertain and worrisome on the more... societal level.
A lot has happened in just these 1-2 years.

>Journals/diaries to read
Kafka
Sylvia Plath
Virginia Woolf
Friedrich Reck’s ‘Diary of a Man in Despair’
"Of Walking in Ice"

>Which notebook, though?
Generally, avoid Moleskine. You don't get your bang for your buck, and alternates like Rhodia and Leuchtturm1917 will steer you better, as they are better paper quality, have the same number of pages, often cheaper, and Leuchtturm1917 has features like fully numbered pages and a contents page to fill in and keep track of dates/topics. Composition notebooks are awesome, as well.

What other notebooks do you guys recommend? Any further entries that you've found awesome or helpful for your own writing? Excerpts and examples from your own are more than welcome.

Other urls found in this thread:

farnamstreetblog.com/2014/07/john-locke-common-place-book/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

thanks for making the new thread

No probs. I will also say that keeping a commonplace book is a good practice, as well. Keeping a written record of quotes and information that is important to you, or is well written, is a good habit to keep.

are you supposed to put important stuff from the books you read? or what?

Essentially, yes. Quotes and excerpts on topics important to you. It's essentially a personal reference book, but ordered to your liking.

farnamstreetblog.com/2014/07/john-locke-common-place-book/

>Specific product recommendations.

Thanks bro! I didn't check the last thread before it 404d.

No probs! Rhodia and Leuchtturm are good safe bets, and I've also been using Japanese brands lately, Apica Premium and Midori MD (pictured)

I flipped through some older diaries. The entries themselves aren't particularly interesting or amusing, but I found it intriguing that my style has remained somewhat consistent.

1 March 2009 (Sunday)

Today M and I went to the zoo and it was really fun. We saw monkeys and crocodiles. Then we rented a movie and watched it. Or, I watched it, she fell asleep half an hour into it. Right now she's sleeping next to me in bed. I'm writing. She's minisnoring. Haha. It's cute.

Yesterday we went to the old district and bought books and chocolate. We took photos of trash cans and when we did that by the subway station a bus driver approached us. We still don't know what he wanted to say, but he talked about how people should be honest so that society can be improved for everyone. And how fashion is bad because everyone's just copying each other. He said there's nothing wrong with having jackets like the ones she and I were wearing. Haha... he was nice, but kinda strange.

30 November 2010 (Tuesday)

Hm, well... today wasn't that special I guess...
I had completely misunderstood the English assignment but screw that.
Then, physics... uh, nothing special?
Lunch :) then we played go. Meh, it started out well but then it didn't go well and in the end, M had encircled my entire group in the middle.
Why do I keep doing stupid mistakes and never win!! It's so draining, always messing it up. Sure, I'm improving, but... :(
During algebra I slept. Haha.
Then religious studies, meh!
It's childish but I don't like it when the teacher lumps me and T together just because we have some opinions in common. Anyway. I was so tired too. Zzz.
Then I practiced the piano for a while. It went really well today.

I had a horrible nightmare, very long and coherent. I recorded it on my mobile for almost half an hour. We were on a subway train and suddenly the rail ended and we fell down. Me, M, T, A, and someone else, I think. The last thing that happened before we fell down and I woke up was M saying "oh shit, this isn't good" which is typical of him. But it felt so wrong to die, especially with the others.

5 October 2013 (Saturday)

Bought skirts at the second hand store, tea and stuff.
J and I watched an episode of Teen Mom and then she crashed for several hours. I bought pizza for us and then we had a Teen Mom marathon. I've finished her right mitten (need to fasten the loose ends).

Besides that?
I'm happy about yesterday, the new psychiatrist seems good. Like, when I talked about how I don't know how to handle my anger and not knowing if I'm allowed to be angry. How impulsivity can make you... "shut down" and never progress beyond first grade kicking/screaming. I did get angry with the old one once, and it was kinda explosive and unexpected and a bit like "you can't behave like this with friends". But that was because it was so built up and impulsive. Maybe she thought it's something I commonly do.
I often think about how people appreciate when I'm more engaging and impulsive than usual, when I'm not shutting myself in.
I want to be myself!

19 May 2014 (Monday)

Nothing has happened, it feels like.
Maybe depression is coming. What do I know.
Like, this feeling that... days pass. But me? I wake up same time every day, sleep same time... and in between?
Even if it is much better my previous irregular lifestyle, it's as if... the apathy, unproductiveness, has become more apperent.
Previously I couldn't do much due to fatigue and so on, but now there are no excuses.
Everything is becoming so clear.

Top "want" list:
Cleaner room.
To eat better.
But most of all, not feeling "I really want to study" and after 5 minutes with a book "never again".

It feels like there isn't much else to want.
I mean...?
It just feels like I don't have the energy for anything!
Sleep for a thousand years = my dream.

3 May 2015 (Sunday)

To think, 4 months have passed now.
What happened to time? It disappeared.
Yesterday I was active and cleaned half of my room, went downtown, trained and did other things. Today, I'm sluggish. Been alternating crochet and sleep.
My feelings, difficult to describe. No, I really don't know. What should they be like?
My throat hurts as well.

It feels like no one is anywhere, those who are disappear, and left is nothing. Emptiness.

Anyway. I've studied a bit now. That's at least something, I guess.

Anyone here feel that when keeping a diary, there is always an impetus towards rather writing something with an external audience in mind? I can't help but have a creeping feeling of solipsism after writing several paragraphs.

Anyone else feel this or have a way of getting past it?

recommend a journal i can buy to write in. something that will last.

I really like these entries. I agree with what people said in the previous thread - the supposedly mundane entries are the ones that are the most interesting, but trying to sound erudite, detailed, intelligent often comes off as autistic. These are awesome.

I always keep my journal for myself, though there is a feeling in the back of my mind of "what impression would this give if someone else read this 20, 50 years from now?" It doesn't bother me, though.

I'd say a hardcover journal would be good. So, Rhodia, Leuchtturm. Though I do know of people who keep softcover books and have a slip-on leather cover or hardcover to protect it when they use it, and then store it safely when it's filled. Also, any notebook that has good paper will help to last, especially if you use a good ink.

Very ordered and conversational. I love it.

But does no one write in fragments and basics? I only talk about "I" and my feelings when something major is happening; the rest is just taking notes on my life. Ex:

>thurs. 19/09/13: archives work exp, more photos of queen, hang out with barnaby. on way home stop in at hope bros for first time in ages, hang out with timsam and jimmy, yvette's creepy classmate who has been stood up by his barista "friends" for his b'day. everyone avoiding loutish british boxer guy simon who is local plague at hope bros. adam stops by for a few and pep talk on making moves on workmate girl at xero. jimmy going to spiritual church, getting into bone carving etc. everyone ditches simon in waves and escape to electric avenue, i go home. dad leaves from duds for belfast to see john maybe for last time [brain cancer]

>fri. 20/09/13: first sleep all week which is longer than 4 or 5 hours / not me feeling tired all day then somehow stay up till 1 am, then magically snap awake at 0530 and not be able to get back to sleep again. do washing, play drums on justicebassline, killerisdead, bambambam, still procrastinating on actually mixing/eqing in fl or ableton. 330 pm me and rowan buy beers and drive to his new place, old mansion on hill above berhampore, huge thunderstorm and pink/purple lightning, meet stella and stevo. rowan give lift to bebemos where i have a drink with jaylan and maria, then wait for them to fin dinner with aunt and uncle. shut-in after with j, m and nicola who is once again emotional over dead bf secret heroin addict. maria kicks me out so she and j can have fight over him drinking too much.

Like only I can properly decipher everything. Does no one else write like this???

it's been a while since i kept a journal but this would be accurate for me as well. but i would want to write horrifying shit because of it. if someone might read it, best to fuck with them a little.

I sometimes write in fragments and basics. It varies for me. When I'm writing in my journal, I am often making time for it, so I can relax with it. So, my journalling comes out in full sentences. However, because I keep my journal with me, I may sketch down some thought or necessary note. I also write in fragments if I don't have a lot of time or if I'm tired, or on days I simply don't give a damn.

I wouldn't ascribe value to your personal journalling style. If you want to change it, and you notice that a method or style isn't working for you, you can change it! But you don't need to put down something that is private for you by you.

Sneak in some Eldritch chants here and there.

maybe I'm autistic but I write it as if my grand kids or some future generation related to me is reading

I want to practice my English and I thought maybe I should write my diary in English. What do you think guys?

I heard this was a good idea to practice foreign languages. Go for it. I'm planning on doing this with Vietnamese.

Nah that can be cool, especially if you read your notebooks to them.

Also, does anyone have a stack of journals they keep? I keep mine in a box.

And what are kinds of things you don't put in a journal?

I agree with

Comfy pic

You misunderstand me, and condescend. I don't think fragmentary journalling is at all inferior to your labours, but thanks for your unsolicited permission to change my style.

What do people think of the idea of a shared journal? Writing mundane things only for myself sounds boring.

I didn't know there was a name for this practice, thanks user. I already do this, but usually with scraps of paper I consolidate.

I write things in my journals I can't say outloud when talking to myself in my apartment like an insane philosopher mystic. I don't think I have an interesting enough ordinary life to document it. Am I wrong for feeling this way?

Very interesting! Are you an extrovert? Both your entries have a lot of social intreraction. Less need for first person? I'm very introvert but I do think my perspective changes to a more third person focused one when writing social interaction. I still can't write very fragmented though.
My entries above ended up with a lot of "I" because they're translated and I'm unsure where pronouns can be naturally dropped in English. In the original texts, pronouns are less common, not as few as in yours though. Translating natural, free-flow texts like diary entries into your second language really unmasks how bad you are at it, conveying the small details. Reading a native speaker's diary proves it even more.

Interesting method, thanks.

Yeah this is the problem I faced when I tried to start journaling - I had read the Life and Letters of Macaulay which has a whole trove of Macaulay's letters and journals written into it. I tried to write in a similar style as the formal and earnest Victorian style and I always end up feeling as if I'm being affectatious or insincere. I don't know, I definitely feel that if I try to write anything other than short and abrubt I end up writing prose, which just feels autistic.

I don't think it's inferior at all: I also do it. Sure, I misread you, but didn't mean to condescend. Only wished to extend something i found helpful and freeing in my own practice.

Have any of you ever tried doing a dream journal?
I did one a few years ago for an entire year or two jotting down every dream I could remember upon waking up.

Here's an entry :
>“Florida Nation”
Breaking news! Because of the advancement in mermaid technology, it has been decided that Florida will become the cradle of human society. For the Florida nation, this is a welcome turn of events. While the news is being played out in a black-and-white television, being shown a map of the United States East Coast with Florida at the center, I feel something crawling in my mouth. Putting a finger in, I move it around the sides where the gums are and touched upon something weird. I scoop it out with my finger and look down to what I’ve caught. Rocking back and forth on my finger is a big tick on its back. The tick has a black, ribbed exterior and no bigger than the nail on my small finger! Lying on its ribbed shell, the tick moves about its many legs in vain.

This is short. Some entries reach almost 2000 words.

I tried dream journalling as part of my own development, but I didn't keep it up. I really should get back into that, though.

I like commonplacing, though it is something I want to do more of. Pic related is what my index looks like currently. It's been about quotes and helpful notes on writing and learning more about how to imitate from others. I don't know if I feel comfortable extending this book to more general subjects like personality or biology or technology, etc.

You should try reading an actual dream journal to get you motivated. That's what I did. I downloaded a copy of LSD - Lovely Sweet Dream, a companion book to the PS1 game LSD.

Just reading all the strange dreams in that book made me excited to write down my own strange dreams. Although be warned you'll get so good at remembering you'll get tired of writing down every single detail especially if you're the type that doesn't leave anything out. At first you'll recording one dream at about a paragraph in length, then it wouldn't be strange to write an essays-worth of dreams from time to time.

A page from the book. Pic related.
I also used the style of writing in the translation as a basis for my own entries.

Forgot the image.

Dude that sounds awesome.