What are some of the best philosophical movies?

What are some of the best philosophical movies?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=aLfXCkFQtXw
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Chris Marker

Empire (Warhol, 1964)

If you want to think, read. If you want to feel, go to a film.

But Ordet is great in both regards. Dreyer is the absolute master of the medium, and Ordet is his best

Thoughts on Malick?

Sátántangó. Schopenhauer on a screen, 7 hours long.

Knight of Cups

Andrei Rublev

The Ister

Wild Strawberries

The zen that can be filmed is not zen.

All movies are philosophy movies...

my vimeo desu

Clerks

I like his work until Tree of Life. That is one of my favorite movies, but he fell off the deep end after that.

No.

Veeky Forums - literature

hahahahahaha. close, but no cigar. so you're getting there.

Yes

IMO Knight of Cups is better than TToL.

FUCKING PIC RELATED

It's a spectacular film and every Veeky Forumsizen should be watching it.

oi m8 edgy scottish accent

I second this. Also irrelevant but David Thewlis oddly reminds me of an airedale terrier.

Batman vs Superman

Best Coens' movie

Are you talking about David Thewlis or Ewan Bremner's character?

Psychological thrillers
I heart huckabees
A perverts guide to ideology
The examined life
Agora

Agora?
It's actually bretty gud

Any Ingmar Bergman movie.
The Seventh Seal
The Passion of Anna

>philosophical
>movie
Groundhog day

He looks like Kripke
Fucking this

Unironically, this.

empire strikes back

Samsara (2001)

One of the best Veeky Forums TV shows (which was turned into movies for we Americans) is The Trip. Perfect portrayal of pseudointellectual posturing, a good dissection of how men can co-exist in a state like friendship but not quite, etc.

I enjoyed Days of Heaven and TTRL immensely, but I haven't really seen anything since The New World. This latter reminded me a little of Apocalypse Now set in the early English colonies, wasn't a huge fan. It seemed forced compared to Days.

Oh, but Badlands is one of the greatest films ever made. In that he found his own style

I don't know what you mean by "philosophical movies", I've always considered movies as poetry-- and by that, philosophical. The greatest filmmaker that I've encountered is named Andrey Tarkovsky; Andrei Rublev, Zerkalo, The Sacrifice and Stalker are his best; Robert Bresson films are excellent-- a real example of film art. The same thing can be said about Bergman and Kieslowski. If you want recommendations; Edward Yang's A Brighter Summer Day is one of the best films I've seen. Marker's La Jetee is quite interesting. Truffaut's 400 Blows is lovely. And all films of the directors cited above are worth watching. But, as to my likings, Tarkovsky and Bresson are the greater of them all. Hope to have helped. Where to start with them: Tarkovsky - Solaris
Bresson - L'argent
Kieslowski - A short film about Love
Bergman - The Seventh Seal
As for Yang - The only film of his that can stand beside A.B.S.M.D is Yi-Yi; I do not like the rest.

sunset limited

Also, Paul Thomas Anderson's The Master is a great recent film.

Runaway train with Voight. His little spot speech is a perfect description of the human condition.

yes to these, just finished stalker today after stopping it maybe 5 years ago. i redownloaded it and although it is terribly slow, its worth dragging it on until the end. im curious to see how others ideas on the film match up with my own.

If you enjoy the Sci-Fi aspect of it, watch La Jetee; only 28 min and it had a tremendous impact on the Hollywood Sci-Fi scene. An impact, I must say, that never flourished in anything good-- not when compared to the genius of this film.

>La Jetee;
youtube.com/watch?v=aLfXCkFQtXw

Thirding

Last year at marienbad, weekend