DUDE WHAT EVEN IS ART WHEN THE PERSON FORGING THE PAINTING HAS MORE TALENT THAN THE PERSON WHO PAINTED THE ORIGINAL LMAO

>DUDE WHAT EVEN IS ART WHEN THE PERSON FORGING THE PAINTING HAS MORE TALENT THAN THE PERSON WHO PAINTED THE ORIGINAL LMAO

good question desu

I think the philosophy of the set musician is an unexplored one. Technically the most gifted instrumentalists are completely faceless set artists, even among legend they were still faceless in their time like James Jamerson, so for a that devalue the original players or does it show the significance of xfactor music qualities like presence and personality? Things that are arguably not musical qualities.

Wyatt wouldn’t agree with that statement.

Seriously what was his fucking problem anyways.

>the original
How to spot someone not understanding the book

>WHEN THE PERSON FORGING THE PAINTING HAS MORE TALENT
How did that talent present itself in their own original works?

>He thinks the Wyatt sections are the point and not just the theory

Reread your party scenes pleb

this book taught me how rude it is to interrupt someone

REEEEEE WHAT'S THE POINT OF THIS BOOK ?

I dunno good?

Copying something someone else did doesn't mean that you are as talented as the original creator.

why not?

Butt w-w-what if you do it better or people can no longer tell which one is the fake.

Because you didn't actually create it. There is more to art than technical ability. If you are truly as talented as the creator, then you should be able to create something of equal merit yourself.
>Butt w-w-what if you do it better
Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of a forgery?
>or people can no longer tell which one is the fake.
The reasons stated above apply.

so what gives this the reputation it has? wordy prose? dense page count?abstract tweed'd adoration?

jonathan franzen said it was tough or something
or maybe that was about jr. or maybe he said recog was hard and he couldn't even get through jr. who cares, read it and find out, it's a good book

it's a love letter to pretty much every issue of western civilization. it's got amazing prose that Gaddis sadly gave up in his later writing

Well what if you are contracted to forge shit

If they have more talent then why do they need to forge the painting of someone with less talent than them?

because art critics are fucking assholes

This

What does that have to do with anything?

Have you read the book?
There it's because he needs money and he has a complex about originality he inherits from his Calvinist aunt.

Why would I read a book?

Oh fuck I think i need to read this book again. Why does he get the complex exactly.