The more I think about the fact William Burroughs shot his wife dead the less I understand how people can live with...

The more I think about the fact William Burroughs shot his wife dead the less I understand how people can live with themselves having inflicted great harm on others.

I have my reasons to feel guilty about how I've behaved towards certain people. But even those relatively minor transgressions are nothing compared to what Burroughs did, yet he lived a long life and didn't seem to be burdened by any paralysing guilt because of his actions.

How the fuck do people do this? Is it healthy?

If I killed my wife, even on accident, I would feel duty-bound to kill myself at the earliest opportunity. How do people harm others so often and with such apparently little remorse?

Not literature, blogposting feel faggot

>>>/faggotboards/

>yet he lived a long life and didn't seem to be burdened by any paralysing guilt because of his actions.
the guy was on and off smack until his early 80s

William Burroughs is a writer.

I am also interested in any books about this issue.

He was a faggot and never loved her.

>How the fuck do people do this? Is it healthy?

Non-stop intravenous opioid abuse, and no, it's not healthy. The thing people who aren't or never have been junkies wont understand about opioid painkillers is that any type of pain becomes a totally foreign abstraction, both physical and mental. That's why people get hooked. That's why a homeless guy in piss-covered clothes carrying a lifetime of horrible decisions is so desperate for his fix. For 2-4 hours after shooting up, none of that shit matters, none of it.

>How the fuck do people do this?

Usually embracing depersonalization/estrangement to human life. This is how Burroughs was able to let his son get raped by friends later in Morocco.
No its absolutely not healthy, it leads to an empty ironic existence where all forms of pleasure and satisfaction and fundamentally undermined and experience because a bitter wash of sensory phenomena

>discussing an emotionally profound pathos of a canonical writer isn't Veeky Forums

You need to go back

pol pot slaughtered millions of people and then went to live his last years peacefully w a yung wife
some people just cant give a fuck

Is this the rule or the norm?

My father for example beat my mother, treated my sister like shit and beat up some random guy once because he was drunk and angry. But the last time I saw him he was cycling around with a new wife and child. I don't understand that. Am I just very weak? I feel like I am.

I have also thought that it would be unbearable to exist as a murderer, though Burroughs did it by accident and that is probably a lot easier to live with. I guess that, just as you are able to live with your level of guilt to some degree, Burroughs was able to live with his level of guilt to some degree. It probably did burden him to a great degree. It is also possible that, to varying degrees, some people avoid looking at their guilt.

It is hard to imagine Pol Pot living with himself without having justified it to himself or repressing it somehow. Pol Pot perhaps thought that he was doing a good thing by having done what he did, which is another weird thing to consider.

>The more I think about the fact William Burroughs shot his wife dead the less I understand how people can live with themselves having inflicted great harm on others.

you strike me as the sort of person who writes FACT! at the end of every opinion you spout and then sit back, imagining it to be true.

you imply that Burroughs shot his wife out of a desire to inflict harm. do you know anything about the circumstances of the incident, or are you going by something you read in here by another user who was just as badly informed?

you make it sound like he stormed in with a kalashnikov and shouted "ICE TO SEE YOU" and then mowed her down in a hail of bullets before pissing on her cooling corpse and strutting off to a gay bar to pick up a teenaged boy.

> he didn't

sounds like your old man has impulse control issues. how drunk was he when he beat up your mom and that random guy?

>you make it sound like he stormed in with a kalashnikov and shouted "ICE TO SEE YOU"
kek

I lived down the street from William S Burroughs when he lived in Lawrence, KS and was fucking old. He was a huge asshole and looked like he was going to die any minute but was somehow still pretty lucid. He never gave out candy on Halloween and would just turn out the lights in his house, so one year my best friend took a shit on his porch.

write a book about old man burroughs down the street.

Fuck off homo apologist. He shot her straight in the forehead using nothing but a fictional "game" of there's as pretext. He wanted her dead for a while and he got it

Read C&P. Raskolnikov has the same problem. He uses Napoleon as an example - he just left an army starving in Egypt because fuck it.

When people like us hurt a fly, we relive it constantly. Shit sux bruh.

Burroughs is a good boy did nuffin wrong

Should read Literary Outlaw, a biography of Burroughs. He suffered great guilt the rest of his life after he shot her, and nearly everything he wrote after that time explored in some measure how it happened and why he did it.

>oh noo some dumb, dead groupie bitch from the 50s who married a degenerate and died playing his degenerate game oh goddd

you're the one who's absurd

What can I say, she was a faggot enabler and got hers sure but it doesn't disqualify what I said

t. low t soycuck

who knows

naked lunch is a fun read. even if he's a weirdo fag murderer burroughs is a great writer. In fact he's the only beat who doesn't deserve to have his works burned and ranks with Nabokov as the best American writer after WW2. I can reconcile reading books from a psychopath jerk. I don't need heroes.

That I can respect

>, so one year my best friend took a shit on his porch.

kind of proving his point about humanity, you know.

His life was not what i would call good. He wrote good things, but i think he was miserable.

He was an alcoholic as far as I know. Got arrested for drink arriving but continued to do it etc. An angry dude for sure. And I have anger issues too, which is just embarrassing considering I'm aware of the damage it causes.

I will make an effort to read it. Thank you.

And the thing about the fly is that I can live with harming certain people in certain ways. For example, I "ghosted" a girl who I was briefly in a relationship with after she stopped talking to me one time after a particularly humiliating night (for me). She wanted to get back together etc but I acted cold and mean, but I felt it was justified. But I also wrote something very nasty about a book by an author I didn't know and who at the time I was really jealous of. I'm pretty sure he read it, and though I've since spent a lot of time trying to remember the email I used to post the comment - and eventually had it deleted - I still freak out pretty much every day about the fact I was such a fucking childish faggot. I really don't feel like I can face living any more knowing I may have hurt this guy's confidence or negatively influenced his life. If it was some big name writer I wouldn't care so much, but it wasn't and it was just a pathetic thing for me to do. I see no way out of this guilt other than killing off the source, i.e. my brain / existence.

holy shit look at that tiny ass glock

>>>/dep/

Burroughs: “She was a very extraordinary woman and we got talking, exchanging ideas; she was the smartest person around. . . . She had an immediate insight into anyone’s character. Just one look and she knew.”