How many books did you read this year Veeky Forums?

>pic related

A lot

152 atm and i am not satisfied

1 and this is not a joke

Had to panic read

I NEED YOUR APPROVAL, STRANGERS,
IS MY PENIS BIG ENOUGH YET?

>Douglas Murray
>Fucking genre fiction
You have to go back.

200+

Read 60 of my goal of 30, though I could definitely have done more. I hope to reach 100 next year.

like 5

73 so far, with a goal of... 250 books.

/masochist-core/
Such a promising start to the year but it looks like you gave in to temptation

Why are you here?

like 15-20 i dunno

I just didn’t have the time to read fiction. I was busy reading and writing papers on pharmacology. Now I’m recovering the habit of reading, that one book I read was actually 2 weeks ago and now I’m reading another book. Plus I already had read many of the ‘classics’ in previous years

Well, don't tease us any longer... what was it?

I've only read 20 books this year but I wanted to keep it lighter as I've been focusing more on writing.

Planning on reading 40 books in 2018 but I don't know if I'll achieve it as my older brother is expecting a baby and they're living with us. Save me.

How do you get the screenshot for this user

don't be sad, that's ALOT as it is

1. Not even completely finished yet. The Decameron btw.

~0

>ugly people
Disgusting. You and me are both beautiful non-cringey people.

I find this acceptable

>2015: 50
>2016: under 30
>2017: 20, and that's a generous estimate

My brain stopped working, lads. I don't understand shit anymore. How to become intelligent again

Stop going on Veeky Forums and read more.

Started reading in october and read 5 so far, all in the lines of 300-500 pages.

But then who will give me opinions on what I've read that I can parrot later

Get homeless people drunk and ask them like a normal god-fearing person.

35 with 5 of them being non-fiction. And I will read two more books probably.

15 and im feeling pretty shitty about reading so little.

23 books and 12 comic books

Most of one book and maybe a tenth of another plus over half of yet another. If you include books I've written though, then in 2017 it's 4 novels, a novella, 5 novelettes, and I'll be finishing another novelette within the week. Oh, and at least one short story. Made over $500 from my writings, next year I'll most definitely make over $1000. By this time in 2018, I'll have over 15 books to my name and will undoubtedly ghostwrite several more. Gonna try some more non-fiction for sure and have many ideas for fiction. STILL haven't tried historical fiction, even though it's my favourite genre.

>tfw the picrel is the most productive thing I've done this year

Omg I remember you from the "what's your reading goal" thread at the beginning of the year.

You almost got it this time, bud. Next year for sure!

i have 4 more books to read for my challenge, hope i make it

How the fuck do people have time to read if they are working? I haven't read a single page since I started working a few months ago. Is this place just full of neets or how do you find the time?

>go to work
>work
>come home
>make time to read

I'm not sure what you're getting at, unless you are working like 20 fucking hours a day it's not hard to make time to read.

t. retail wagecuck

I mean why would you want to read if you only have 2-3 hours for free time when you also can browse the internet, play video games, that's much more immediate fulfilling to your brain.

I find reading much more fulfilling than video games. Vidya is just for a cheap thrill when I'm feeling bored/energetic. But reading provides substantial artistic and emotional experiences. also I have more than 2-3 hours of free time, I work 8-hour shifts which isn't even half of a full day, so I have time to browse the internet.

reading is something you kind of have to train yourself to enjoy, but once you do it's wonderful.

23 but I only started reading in November.

Not bad, honestly

Where is this from?

15, which isn't much but it did includes some doorstoppers like 2666 and Against the Day

Tres

I read a lot of Japanese lit in Oct and Nov

Forgive me, for I have mostly read comics

4 or 5 i think

Comics are not books.

>Books of Skyrim
Wouldn't happen to know if one of these exists for the DLC books, would you?

no idea, probably like 40 or so

Goodreads.

Pretty good

Read on your phone
Carry a paperback
Read on the bathroom

I'm so behind this year, and I thought I set my goal low. Haven't been able to read anything but short story collections for months.

hey read Japanese lit it's very quick. Plus everyone on this board should read "No Longer Human" by Dazai anyway

My father does heavy labor work, 10-12 hour shifts, at age of 60+ and he manages to read 3-4 books a week.

You aren't really trying.

>34 out of 50
>Longest book: IT
>Shortest book: La casa de Bernarda Alba
>Highest rated: Animal Farm, Danse Macabre, Eleanor & Park
>Lowest rated: White as milk, red as blood
Eh.

I said forgive me

(you)

None. Reading is for faggots.

lol, I crave attention and approval from strangers on a tawainese backgammon board, kill me with adoration.

I almost got there this year, and even though I didn't I'm going to double down on my current goal and shoot for the stars; im gonna give it 110% to show you guys what an intellectual heavy weight I really am.
In the words of the late great philosopher and theologian of our time, "BELIEVE IT!"

The best in this thread tbqh

1984, kallocain, house between night and day, peer gynt, revolt against the modern world, i robot
i need to shape up jeez

You guys don't read much.

Solaris is my favorite sci-fi. I hope you enjoyed it!

>41/35
>Shortest: Purloined Letter - Poe, 48 pages
>Longest: Atlas Shrugged - Rand, 1168 pages
>Most popular: Great Gatsby - Fitzgerald
>Least popular: Ensam - Strindberg
>Highest rated: Chess Story - Zweig
>Average rating given: 3,2 stars

I did the same thing, what were your favorites? I just started with the entry level Soseki, Mishima, Dazai, Kawabata etc.

recs?

Oh my god I loved Dazai and Kawabata. Mishima was too dark -- I only read "Sailor who Fell from Grace" before giving up -- but god the genre is so interesting. There's such uncertainty and depression in every writing until like 1970, it's amazing. I would suggest Kobo Abe's "The Face of Another" or "Woman of the Dunes" if you want another, but I haven't gone any further than you. I'm only reading Soseki's "I am a Cat" now, but I got it for my sister for christmas because she loves cat and I find it such a sweet and comical book. My favorite, as said in , was "No Longer Human". I love the story, following such a flawed man. I have developed a terrible habit of fake laughter so I understand the whole act he put together early in his life, and the alcoholism -- who couldn't connect to that? It takes only a couple of lapses in judgement before you become another loser addict.

No Longer Human is absolutely the essential post-war lit. I loved it so much. It's as easy to read as "Siddhartha" by Hesse, and as enlightening.

4t4

I read Snow Country today and it was beautiful. From the novels I've read, many of the themes in Japanese writing revolve around loss and miscommunication, especially in romantic relationships. Spring Snow was my favorite, second was Snow Country. Kokoro is up there too. I've had more than the average number of friends and family members commit suicide, and it seems like that is a popular theme in these novels so I found them especially cathartic. I actually didn't like No Longer Human as much as the others I read this year, didn't connect with the protagonist much, but it's still worth the read. As the other poster mentioned, Japanese lit is a breeze to read and is very easy to submerse yourself into.

Replied to myself accidentally.

Snow Country is so fucking beautiful. I read Thousand Cranes as well by Kawabata, purposefully avoiding the one novel from his nobel prize that he considered bad, but he knows how to write romance in a complicated and meaningful way. I haven't read Kokoro, I actually had only heard of "I Am a Cat" and learned of the more popular Kokoro later, but I plan on going to it. I'm reading the Makioka Sisters right now. Japanese post-war lit is so amazing, it should really have a higher reputation. Cheers for the nice comments man, I'm drunk and am loving having civilized conversations rather than pointless arguents.

Thanks guys. I'm actually the OP of this thread and I am happy it has turned out pretty wholesome. Always nice to get some interesting recs. Here is a Japanese lit chart I have saved.

Good enough excuse to get drunk on my end in the spirit of comradery. I'll add Makioka Sisters to my list too.

Thanks for the chart!

I have an internet addiction

At least read Tezuka, Spiegelman, Moore or Urasawa.
Have some dignity, man.

Japanese literature always feels so plain and somehow empty. I don't mean that in the negative sense, it's very interesting and fresh but I can't say I enjoy Japanese novels the way I enjoy western literature.

After having read Kokoro and some other stuff I immediately understood why Murakami aboce all, even the classics, is so popular in the West, he's a compromise.

but that's pleb shit user

>tfw college student busting my ass
maybe i can sneak in another one before the year's over

I'll be adding at least two to this total before the year is out.

Mine.

38. hope to finish over 40 by the end of the year.

15. I don't read enough so since June I've only read JR and The Recognitions

I just finished my 21st this morning; Battle Royale. I'm debating whether or not to try and start and finish something before Christmas because I'm sure I'll receive some books.

Uhhh like 2. But one of them was the best book I've ever read and it was pretty long and dense.

35 so far this year.

Makes me realise I need to be ruthless if I'm partway through a book and hate it. There's hundreds of books I'm interested to read, but at my current rate that'll take decades.

What book is the best you've ever read? One book I read this year might crack my top 5; Cloud Atlas.

The Sot Weed Factor. It's really fun and I probably like it more than most people would just because a lot of it takes place pretty much literally in my back yard.