Neil Gaiman

What does Veeky Forums think of Neil Gaiman the creator of the graveyard book and Coraline and also American Gods

Other urls found in this thread:

doinginthewizard.wordpress.com/2013/03/17/lets-read-the-name-of-the-wind-ch-1/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Absolute pleb-tier. Man child of a writer.

>hur dur comic books are the same level as literature

American Gods has such a dull heavy handed message through out. "See! Celebrities and the MEDIA are like GODS! EVERYONE IS STUPID BUT ME!" An utter talentless bore. One step away from fan-fiction writers.

The series is popular; so I, whom never read it, thinks it's shit.

I like his prose style. He's like the good jk Rowling to me.

he's not bad but he's really not very good either. if you read actual books don't bother.

One of the worst books I’ve ever read. Even worse than Patrick Rothfuss Name of the Wind. Meme tier writer who thinks he’s as witty, humane and whimsical as Pratchett but isn’t fit to lace his boots. He’s a cuck as well and a typical numale writer whose probably never left his center left London centric oh so tolerant coterie of friends. A fraud like Martin Amis

American Gods is an absolute piece of shit. I'll never read anything else he wrote.

Sandman a shit. Just a rip-off of moore's swamp thing with girly art and characters. Haven't touched anything else by him

What's wrong with Name of the Wind? I don't know anything about it but I know someone who was completely obsessed and constantly talked about it.

here you go:
doinginthewizard.wordpress.com/2013/03/17/lets-read-the-name-of-the-wind-ch-1/

it's a very fun and insightful read although the author has some feminist sensibilities that rear their head every once in a while (which you can roll your eyes at). very comfy read as well.

just before the comments there's a link to ch. 2 and beyond.

thought it was alright, pretty cool idea and it was done pretty well. the end drags on a bit though, I didn't care much for it.

Graveyard Book and Coraline are pretty good. American Gods is fine but overrated. His stories are generally worthwhile.

As a writer he tends to go a bit far with inserting references to wider culture and possibly demonstrating his own knowledge. I appreciate works that reference the canon where relevant and within reason, but he loves to just pack in myths and legends and pop culture references and just stir the pot up. It's a modern disease; "what if we had vampires in space fighting Norse gods on a ringworld and then they find out it's a simulation!"

His prose is amazing, but he doesn't do anything interesting with it.

more like gayman

The poor man's Clive Barker

This.

This. He's someone you read when you want to read some poetic prose, but he doesn't offer much more than that.

I don't mind him as much as other people do on Veeky Forums. He's not a phenomenal writer but The Ocean At The End of the Lane is genuine comfy autumn-winter reading. It gets a bit silly but it's harmless and would probably make a good movie like Coraline did. I think Neil should try writing more screenplays - his work lends itself to television and movies effectively. It's no kino but they're enjoyable fun movies.

I also have to give a little respect to a guy who is as successful as he is in a medium that's difficult to make a penny in as well as having as many fingers in as many pies as he does too. He's a good businessman with a good agent like Stephen King. I can't hate him for that, I'm envious of their net values.

i read that book, but to tell you the truth i don't remember much, there were some undertaker egyptian gods, some subplot with a lake and a car, the mongrelized cheeseburger odin, and a very underwhelming battle at some point that was supposed to be what everything was building up to

also a lot of in-your-face boring symbolism without any themes of substance running through the book, am i missing something important?

>fingers in many pies
Especially Amanda Palmer's hnnng

wtf

She's my type

why not just date a guy at that point?

this is a SFW board, user

Literally who

isn't that pic ok? her man-nipples are covered

Guys don't have vaginas silly.

Please delet NOW

ok done

No Discernible Talent.

She's a dyke conman who is "married" to Gayman, who in turn is a Scientologist conman. They are both hacks and scum.

Very purple prose. Some of it's kind of fun, but most of it will make your eyeballs hurt from all the rolling. Also, guy can't write good female character to save his life. Of course that's perfect for most Veeky Forums "readers".

This book fucking sucked.

Great. (for teenagers) Sandman series was absolutely incredible. (for teenagers) It's a shame his wifey turned him into such a soyboy.

He's a good bridge author for young people: in between YA shit and actual adult literature.

>main character goes to the Michigan Upper Peninsula
>lmao pasties

Bravo Gaiman

Horrible writer.

Neil Gaiman is the living proof that good prose alone doesn't make a great book.

His works tend to vary in quality, and he seems to be better at writing comics then actual novels. That being said, I did enjoy Coraline, the Sandman (Not a novel but rather a comic book) and Good Omens. Thus, I suggest you pick and choose with his works rather than just picking it up because his name is attached.

no he isn't

i'd be absolutely floored if any of you could define "good prose"

Can any of you link actually good prose from Gaiman?