What does Veeky Forums think of this book? I found it to be very enjoyable

What does Veeky Forums think of this book? I found it to be very enjoyable.

it's boring and pointless but well written. fuck the MC

I found it to be surreal

K A F K A E S Q U E

Intriguing, sound plot, interesting

structure

Not his best, not his worst

I Didn’t

Read

It

Fuck off with this shit

good post

Read Murikami for the first time a couple days ago and it was without a doubt the worst thing I've got from/lit/

I've only read a couple of passages, but it seems much worse than what I've read of Murakami

For those who don't know, rupi Kaur loves Kafka because she likes the covers of the new Barnes and Noble editions. She has never read Kafka.

I didn't even realize that was supposed to be a poem

I thought it was pretty mediocre. I read it last year and found it really bittersweet in a way but the style of Murakami's writing bored me

Meh it's comfy. It's another generic love story, but it's also a little unique. It's the kind of book you recommend to people who don't read a lot.

all of these types of books are for people with empty lives, if its not mysticism or a cry for blood i'm not even gonna bother

like it.

people focus on the love story, the fact that the narrator gets to sleep with all the girls, etc etc. but they miss the theme of psychotic break. that's why it's compelling to me. metaphorical of death, i.e. that there are things fundamentally out of your control. not only could you die one day -- get hit by a car, fall out a plane, whatever -- you could also lose your fucking mind. never felt that way? never got the feeling that you're hiding something and don't even know it? that your daily routine is little more than a mask for a latent, lying madness? no? well, i've felt that way a couple times in my life, so i guess i relate.

as for this board hating on it, it's because a lot of the kids that come to Veeky Forums are here for a sense of identity, not for the pleasure of reading. that's why the tough stuff is so lauded and the easy stuff so reviled, not just at Veeky Forums but anywhere folks with glasses gather -- it's a barrier to entry, like a cell wall, something to provide division and difference from the undifferentiated hellscape every 18 year old knows as childhood. a cell wouldn't be a cell without one, after all.

lucky for me both my parents are english profs so i never had any need to cross that barrier, i was born into it. i got nothing to prove, i like what i like. so yeah murakami's not a next level stylist dude, nor are apples oranges etc, enjoy a thing for what it is. not that you have to like everything or even norwegian wood specifically, i'm just saying follow your bliss really and be honest about it

It's the book that got me into reading. I don't if I would call it one of my favourites, but it's certainly one of the most important books for me.

What are some other books for people with empty lives?

It wasn’t

10/10

I see a lot of hate for Murukami on Veeky Forums, but are there any standout works i should read anyways?

there's a lot of hate for most authors on Veeky Forums.
read whichever ones sound interesting to you.

I tried reading Wind Up Bird, stopped at around the well.
I just don't see the point. Nothing is happening.

Does anything ever happen in a Murakami novel?

Start with a Wild Sheep Chase, then decide if you want to read more or not.

A Wild Sheep Chase followed by Dance Dance Dance, if you like it. These were my favourites.

Virgin Toru, Chad Nagasawa.

This bingo perfectly exemplifies why Murakami is top-tier comfy. Even if you think his work is plebeian trash, you cannot deny the comfiness levels he reaches.

Yes you're right, I much prefer books with a good exciting fast-paced plot to keep me interested, something like Dan Brown maybe.