Why do you read fiction?

What's the point of reading (fiction) literature? Isn't it just emotional manipulation? Sure you get to see different perspectives but why are they necessarily honest or worthwhile?

Why do you read fiction? And do you disagree.

Other urls found in this thread:

techwalla.com/articles/how-to-take-off-predictive-text-on-an-iphone
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I haven't read fiction in a while but I bought some fiction recently and plan to read them.

>What's the point of reading (fiction) literature?

Seems to me that it's meant to intrigue us. Children are fascinated with the world and the simplest of things. Unfortunately, it is seldom for adults to be astonished with the the real life and it's simplicities.

So, it's fairytales and fiction that peak interest for old geezers that aren't 3 years old. It fun, abstract, new. We get to choose what intrigues us.

Obviously it's not black or white. That won't be the case 24/7, but it seems as though that could blanket may reasons as to why grown people read fiction.

Fiction feeds the soul, non-fiction feeds the mind.

I usually read fiction but What are some of your favourite non fiction books you've read? I'd like to try them

>emotional manipulation
SPOOK

What do you read then if not fiction? Scholarly studies and biographies?

escapism, you mong

Fiction does not need to manipulate you emotionally. The handmaids tale did a really good job on me, so much that i actually understood why it is so hard to judge the general publics actions in germany during the nazi regime. When in the book all the doctors that had performed abortions in the past were executed or hunted, ( and you should know i am all pro choice ) it was the first time it clicked for me. I think abortion should not be legal, but Abortion, is inherently wrong, you ARE killing a human being, in return you spare it from suffering a bad life and safe the parents from destroying their future, but its still murder.
That was the first time I could understand why some people said it is not right to think that nazis were evil because they didnt do anything against antisemitism.
That is one of the many things ficiton can do for us, of course its also escapism but its much more than that.

Scapism, aesthetics and empathy

I don't know. Why do you watch television? Play video games? Listen to podcasts and music? It's entertainment. It's something to do with free time.

It’s a matter of being mentally flexible enough to see the value of allegories, OP

>why are they necessarily honest
Who said they were? Who said they should be?

I like experiencing those emotions and the visuals i get from quality literature, phil is always going to be more instructive

>muh escapism
Good fiction forces you to confront in depth the difficult things that you avoid and deny in your life, pretty much the opposite of escapism. Escapist literature is unengaged fantasy or YA stuff, but that's generally not the kind of work that's discussed on this board.

I read fiction because I want to write it.

>implying non-fiction isn't the most subjective form of writing
>implying any literature isn't subjective
>implying any form of art isn't emotional manipulation (whether it be malicious or not)

Because I enjoy it. You’re going to die anyway so you may as well try and enjoy life in whatever way you can before the inevitable occurs.
Pretentious cunt

This guy is correct. Fiction allows the writer to express the pure form of an idea.

>philosophical texts are subjective
so the Tractatus Logico Philosophicus is as subjective as Catcher in the Rye? or a book on the French Revolution? or a book documenting the history of a disease or some shit?

its simplicities*

It's more dishonest and roundabout than non-fiction though, non-fiction is just superior when it comes to actually making a point

Because fiction is one of the greatest achievements of the humankind

>Isn't it just emotional manipulation?
Yes. And we find that relaxing sometimes.

I read fiction to relax and explore exciting new worlds.

Yes, it's always one or several persons' perspectives/testimonies

This guy gets it

the asterisk goes before the correction, smart one.
And style is subjective.

I need to do it to function "normally". The point is not to be honest or worthwhile but to be able to connect with it in other ways, many times questions of honesty or time don't even come to mind while reading certain fictions.

>look pretty and read books

sometimes i wish i was a girl

>the asterisk goes before the correction, smart one.
Prove it

*Prove it.

>techwalla.com/articles/how-to-take-off-predictive-text-on-an-iphone

if you don't buy it, there'd be no fucking reason for your way to be correct either

Because fiction is honest about not being real. Every other non-fiction book, however...

Not necessarily

All non-fiction will inevitably be proved wrong or seen as babby-tier brainlet shit someday.

A good story can last forever.

>we get to choose what intrigues us
Except you don't. It just intrigues you and you actually don't know why, at least completely.

Non-fiction doesn't make a point. Facts don't give you a lesson

I don't know why I read fiction. It just captures my attention sometimes. A theory for fiction is that it allows us to live a life we haven't or can't and learn from it without actually doing it. You can see it as emotional manipulation, but I think that's a brainlet tier idea of fiction. It's not manipulating if you're voluntarily reading and going through the ideas that the author did while writing.

fair point

i feel you

We get to choose to surround ourselves with that which intrigues us.

why do you do anything at all? why you just don't kys?

I read fiction because non-fiction is boring.

That's retarded son.
>Characters in the book are punished for facilitating abortions
>The existence of this fictionalized punishment somehow convinces you abortion is immoral whereas before you didn't believe so
>Ergo, the Good Germans were actually a thing

Not one of those conclusions necessarily follows it's precept. Abortion can be punished but you can still believe the embryo isn't far enough along in development to be considered a human being. The Good Germans did more than "not doing anything against antisemitism," they participated in a cultural movement that shamed, ostracized, and evicted from their homes their longtime neighbors, friends, business partners, and acquaintances in a process that would eventually lead to mass killing, all for the sake of fitting in. I hope you're baiting, made me reply.

So you had a stance (pro-choice) but you hadn't considerd the morals of the issue at all? Then a novel sways you that easily?

Gilgamesh, The Iliad, The Odissey, several book of The Bible, Theogony, greek tragedies, Majabharata, The Aeneid, The Meamorphoses, The Divine Comedy, as well as fictitious storytelling about real events, like the arturic, knightly tales, One Thousand and One nights, The Decameron and a large etc. These books form part of what you call “fiction". Are they worthwhile? Is the following fiction worthwhile? Just read. Is reading useful? What is useful? Idk user. Just read if you like to read.

Just shut the fuck up