Has anyone read Emil Cioran? Is he worth reading?

Has anyone read Emil Cioran? Is he worth reading?

Whilst I was doing my masters in philosophy I has a Romanian lecturer as a supervisor who always proselytized Cioran and claimed that the reason he wasn't given as much air time as western European philosophers is to do with bad translation mixed with a level of stigma against those outside of the immediate west. Because of him I read On the Heights of Despair and found it remarkable most as a work of writing rather than philosophy, but then being part of the analytic tradition I struggle with the continentals.

So yes, he is worth reading.

Yes, fuck being born or living in a country

t. Hideo

One of the best. One of the only writers that can be profoundly depressing, therepeutic and hilarious at the same time

I'm half way through The Trouble with Being Born and it's good shit.

never read him but he looks like an artsy type I used to fuck

maybe I should give him a go

Reignites my love for the short essay.

No
Yes

Are you a girl?

>found it remarkable most as a work of writing rather than philosophy
I don’t think he cared too much himself about being labeled a Philosopher or even a Thinker, really. He was just a great writer – exceptionnal prose in french, I must say – and a rather bleak dude.

Oh and btw : he is extremely popular in France. I’m talking borderline-mainstream popular, which, for many obvious reasons, is rather weird.

No.

The Greeks taught us gay sex = best sex. Isn't that why everyone spams "start with the Greeks"? ;)

Kill yourself you fucking degenerate pedo shitbag

What's a good starting point on this guy?

Lmao chill bro. I don't exactly know how dating men in their late twenties/start thirties makes me a pedo.

The true degenerates are the ones who shitpost all day about lolita and get mad at others for living life differently. Gtfo back to /r9k/ you incel manchild.

I unironically have more respect for a guy attracted to 13 year old girls than homo faggots. At least they can end up in a meaningful loving relationship with another being. All a homo does is destroy and leaves in ruin all for absolutely nothing but misguided self consumption.
Sincerely as a friend for your own sake kill yourself. You'll regret not doing it when you're older and you look a half life of nothing that you didn't take your one chance for having some form of dignified significance to your life.

Nice bait. How is abusing a 13yo love?

>All a homo does is destroy and leaves in ruin all for absolutely nothing but misguided self consumption.

What the fuck are you on about? You literally sound like a bi incel who is mad he got rejected by a chad.

Cliff likes him. So i guess he is fine by me.

You should read Freud and actually come to understand the significance of your desires instead of uncritically falling for the modern liberal platitudes of homosexuality as a consumer identity. You are a closed circuit, nothing can come out of your life and you can only bring despair to others. For nothing, absolutely nothing. And all for what? Has there ever been a single relationship in your life that you truly felt worth dying for? A person that you care about that wasn't just your mirror staring back at you?
You cocksucking shit eating disgrace, kill yourself

>Unironically falling for the Freud meme

Wew lad, Freud's views on homosexuality are in no way accepted as a valid theory in psychology.

The primary viewpoint by psychologists and biologists is that homosexuality is caused by an evolutionary need to have some people who don't have children themselves, so that they can take care of orphans. This explains why men with older brothers are more likely to be gay.

>You are a closed circuit, nothing can come out of your life and you can only bring despair to others.

So you need to produce children to make something of your life? Of all boards, Veeky Forums should know that life is about more than just giving birth.

>Has there ever been a single relationship in your life that you truly felt worth dying for?

Yes.

>A person that you care about that wasn't just your mirror staring back at you?

Yeah.

>The primary viewpoint by psychologists and biologists

Sure is getting reddit in here all of a sudden. What type of pathetic non-agent are you that you have zero accountability over your own desires. Just because you think your genes are telling you to do something you have to do it? Proposterous

Freud sounds more plausible than that theory though, I believe him more than the "modern consensus", the whole objective of homosexuality isn't taking care of orhpans, it's genetic suicide.

>The primary viewpoint by psychologists and biologists is that homosexuality is caused by an evolutionary need to have some people who don't have children themselves, so that they can take care of orphans.
It is a hypothesis but by no means consensus. I think it is unlikely. How would that get selected for? More likely it is like autism and schizophrenia (and most other mental disorders) that the genes underlying it have some advantage.

(Continued)
>More likely it is like autism and schizophrenia (and most other mental disorders) that the genes underlying it have some advantage.
... but not the thing itself

>He fell for the psychoanalysis meme
lmao

>Dude I just like doing stuff

>Sure is getting reddit in here all of a sudden.
Says the /r/the_donald shitposter.

There is nothing wrong with homosexuality. If anything, it's superior to contemporary heterosexuality: many straighties nowadays do nothing but get married, have kids and get divorced because they can't find a way to combine men's passions and women's desire to live independently from traditional gender roles.

A relationship between men is purely based on love and shared interests, as opposed to many desire-based straight relationships.

If you disagree, feel free to give proper arguments instead of "muh freud".

>A relationship between men is purely based on love

Literally name one instance of this in all of literature

Quequeg and Ishmael

Please, they were just buddies even if they were fucking

>Dude what if like... I actually wanted to fuck my mother...???

One of the best essays of De Maistre, it's his. Really captures the beauty and tragedy of the reactionary mindset.

Personally as a religious person, I think homosexuality is one of God's many ways of testing people (e.g. by testing if they are able to live through homophobia), so I don't even accept the theory - it could however still be plausible.

Have you even read Freud's views on sexuality? He argues that bisexuality is the norm, which would make heterosexuality as unnormal and "perverse" as homosexuality. He also argued that attempting to make gay people stop being gay is futile, so I don't get how people can use him to defend a homophobic position like .

George and Jim in A Single Man. Notice how their neighbours were distracted by children and disagreements between the husband and wife, wheras the two men were happy together until Jim died.

>Notice how their neighbours were distracted by children and disagreements between the husband and wife

Almost like they're relationships predicated on commitment, struggle and sacrifice instead of a mere libidinal-transaction.

You haven't read Freud properly and I refer you to Foucault who describes this clearly. Biological drives aren't desires proper.
People aren't "bisexual" at birth because they have no yet ascribed a desire proper through conceptual combination of drives with understanding of the sexes. We begin with pre-sexual erotic drives which require development through reconciliation with our symbolic world.
I don't believe gays can be converted either which I would usually suggest continued repression but once the genie is out of the bottle I think suicide is the only clear solution for them.