I have a feeling this is a really good book but I don’t see much of a discussion about it here...

I have a feeling this is a really good book but I don’t see much of a discussion about it here, what can I expect from it?

first read; well that's a fun little poem
second read; wew this Goethe-boii was really profund
thrid read; omg why can't I hold all these metaphysical themes
fourth read; I've seen the liiiight

meditations on thumos.
lots of ancient greek shit
great psychoanalysis
goethe at his most romantic

don't forget to read pt 2

Pretty much this. It's excellent.

Was a little underwhelmed by pt1, probably translation, how's pt 2?

I heard I should read this before master and margarita. Is that true?

you can read them in any order to be honest

like day and night, like the transition from childhood into the real world, like heavens to earth

>really good book
It's literally the best work ever written as far as I'm concerned. It's almost impossible to believe that it exists.

I'm trying to teach myself German and would love to read this in the original. I'm quite poor at the language though, is it a hard read? Should I just read it in English?

breh think about what you're asking for a minute

Did you read it German or... you know about Shakespeare right?

Didn't Faust point Gretchen out to Mephistopheles, not the other way around?

Well, I already know the story, references and influence pretty well. It's not like I'd be confused the whole time. I'd just be trying to teach myself Goethe's German on the way, which is a good exercise for anyone trying to learn. I can just get an English copy of it alongside it, anyway.

Sounds like you have it all figured out. Why'd you ask?

Needed a second opinion, my little minion.

Because it's a lot of work to learn german. I plan to do it eventually, though.

>has everything perfectly planned
>needs a second opinion
I'm sure you'll be reading Faust in German in no time bud.

Yes, it's hard to read. Even native Germans who are supposed to read it for school usually struggle with it quite a bit.

not enough paradox

which version should I read lads?
I just downloaded the first version that I found from archive and it seems ok, but it's from the late 19th century or something so I'm no sure if there's a better version/

No, what?