Why is it so hard to find good modern literature? Does it just not exist...

Why is it so hard to find good modern literature? Does it just not exist? Were the great books in the past big hits not long after they were released?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=1-1xNNrABw8
theguardian.com/books/2016/jan/27/us-study-finds-publishing-is-overwhelmingly-white-and-female
twitter.com/AnonBabble

The rise of invisible style killed it.

what have you read from recent years that you didn't like?

T H E S E J E Z E B E L S

Where can I find stuff from recent years to read in the first place? Thats partly what I am asking.

>Where can I find stuff from recent years to read in the first place?
A bookshop, they have new releases at the front

OP wanted good books, though.

Likely because your tastes are dictated by what academics say is good. New books are so new that there's no time yet for them to be interred as canon.

Don't worry, after twenty years you'll know what good modern literature from the 2010s is. Other people will have already done the work for you.

look for reviews in papers, awards, nominee lists for awards.
you can also check your local library's "recently released" section if it's got that. or ask a librarian, they like being helpful believe it or not.

Too many dumb chicks work as gatekeepers.

unless those books are written by already established authors

If you liked Gravity's Rainbow, Blood Meridian, or White Teeth, then you can relatively safely read Bleeding Edge, The Road, and Swing Time.

Give me some recs that are 150-300 pages.

Mommy plz gib animeted poosei

You sure you could handle it?

Good God Mammyyy plzzzz

thicc

Min Kamp (My struggle) by the Norwegian author Karl Ove Knausgard is a modern masterpiece in my opinion. Definitely worth checking out.

By finding good books do you mean Waiting for critics to point great novels to you ? Or do you actively follow and read contemporary literature and poetry ?

It takes time exploring the canon, so it seems normal to me that it takes decade, at best, for the dust to settle.

what disney movie?

The barrier of entry for publishing a work has been lowered by technological advancement. The development of ebooks and Amazon KDP removed what was left. Now any idiot can be an "author", so the few good works get lost in a sea of shit.

It's a DreamWorks movie.

The Road to El Dorado

g is freefalling, conscientiousness is free falling, techne cannibalized human consciousness a long time ago user. we’re not capable of greatness at all anymore. just read the greats and the few interesting works left and be happy we’re still allowed to have subjective consciousness before neuroptic feeds and nanotech ruins that too

Holy shit OP, please tell me you don't actually find these Disney cartoons genuinely arousing. If you do, you should kill yourself.

Yeah my own personal and esoteric phenomenology and advanced virtue ethics can only explain so much until I have to accept there are just actual schizo conspiracies leaving something to never quite add up but I'll never be assed to invest any energy into because ...

Survival bias
Most of the good old literature survived, leaving you the impression that 99% of the books weren't shit back then.
Never forget:
>99% of everything is shit

normies get out pls

Chel is hot, this is not up for debate

You live in the age of the internet and yet spending five minutes utilising the hundreds of websites suggesting new or relatively new fiction is beyond you?

You're waiting around for someone to tell you what's good.

>Most of the good old literature survived
But this is false. We have none of Aristotle's own works, and he was known for his beautiful writing, but if you read books "by him", you'll see something quite different. We only have notes left by his students.

Is there any great modern literature (last 50 years?) written in a non-modern time-period? I don't want to read descriptions of vehicles and city streets and lattes and tennis rackets and television and billboards and neon signs and references to brand names, just seeing those things written in text makes me seethe and recoil worse than experiencing it, where at least I can divert my gaze. No, I want to be taken away. I want the classic adventure feel rather than the sterile, inorganic template of modern life.

>Were the great books in the past big hits not long after they were released?
Some found immediate success, others needed a few centuries. At the same time, lots of novels now entirely forgotten were once extremely popular.

>Does it just not exist?
Yes, yes it does. You may dismiss the famous American contemporaries (the postmodernists, plus the likes of Franzen and Eggers), but there are plenty of very good authors from other parts of the world. Krasznahorkai to me is the most obvious one, then Kenzaburo Oe, Peter Handke, some pieces by César Aira… If we include deceases writers, there’s also Roberto Bolaño, Thomas Bernhard, Italo Calvino…
On top of that, there is a lot of very fun, although maybe not extremely high-brow (but then again, a lot of the Classics weren’t meant to be "high-brow" either), authors like Michel Houellebecq, Haruki Murakami, Milan Kundera and Gene Wolfe.

Seconded

Jon Fosse

The ability for essentially everyone to post their stories on the internet has led to a mass of poorly written or simply mediocre books being created. Along with that, the vast majority of readers aren't looking for some kind of "intellectual journey" no matter how much they posture about wanting otherwise, rather they're looking for cheap easy entertainment that stimulates them more so than some reality tv show.

so you're just some desperate LARPer pretending that you care about the actual quality of writing

Luckily we have an expert here, who painstakingly observes and reviews the tens of thousands of books published every year, and who can assure us that there is nothing of value among them

Yes, I do find the female form attractive. Maybe you are just gay

Name one of those websites that suggest literature

Librarian by any chance? I feel you.

Read Mason & Dixon maybe, or you could read Lincoln in the Bardo (although I haven't personally read that one yet). The Name of the Rose is also pretty good for what you're looking for

It's hard to find because you spend all your time visiting the most democratic website on the internet, Veeky Forums.

This refers to Borges, yes?

Can you link me to a resource on that? I only found information on that in regards to cinema.

Just read some book reviews. Or ask someone you know who has good taste. Or check out the nobel prize winners/finalists. Or find the winners of other prestigious contests and see what they've written. Or check out recent work from established authors who have been "canonized." Or check out the "staff picks" in a bookstore. Or just read the first page or two of a few "new releases" to see if they're worth your time.

It's not hard my dude.

Chel was drawn by a group of adult professional animators attempting to recreate what gives them boners

The Name of the Rose looks interesting, I'll check it out.

Elaborate

>what is Google search
>what is reading independent blogs

Fuck me, want me to read them for you as well you pathetic brainlet?

4 replies and nobody has mentioned that The Road to El Dorado was Dreamworks and not Disney?

The Vegetarian.

Oh c'mon. I think it's commonly enough known that the new releases showcased in essentially all bookstores are gimmicks, cash grabs or tepid biographies.

youtube.com/watch?v=1-1xNNrABw8
George is good.

dreamworks movie

Thanks. People don't always appreciate my unique talents.

How does an animation studio go from drawing Mickey fucking Mouse to THIS? Damn.

>Publishing industry is overwhelmingly white and female, US study finds
theguardian.com/books/2016/jan/27/us-study-finds-publishing-is-overwhelmingly-white-and-female

It ain't the chicks who are the gatekeepers.

woke

Whoopsies.

Jews have always controlled the publishing industry though. There were good books before they let women run it.

Not really. This level of control is unprecedented.

Publishing industry, TV and radio are in fewer hands than ever before. The oligarchy got access to psychological tricks that prolonged its life significantly. Usually we'd be an autocracy or monarchy by now.

Semdem?

>forms aren’t appealing, I want matter!

Dumb caveposter

O' if you only knew the truth about Knausgard's masterpiece..

Dat bih thicc

I liked it. The different tenses didn't work IMO and one act was weaker than the rest but I went in expecting Kafka-esque woman turning into a tree but instead got years of mental and emotional trauma and horrific self-abuse.

Reminded me of something Kobo Abe would write.

preach brother

Nigga, your standards are too high if didn't at least enjoy The Vegetarian. It even had feminism that didn't bash you over the head

How can white girls compete?

Go ahead and name 5 books worth reading

Enlighten us.

just read a magazine with a decent books/arts section. don't follow it slavishly but use it as inspiration
Try The Spectator, for example. The current (Christmas) edition has some well written reviews in it, including one of a biography of Ulysses S Grant (simply called Grant, by Ron Chernow) that makes it sound interesting even to me, who has no real interest in American history at all.

post more injuns i feel my inner conquistador stirring

No. I'm not doing the work for you. You're merely waiting to be spoonfed instead of exploring an artform yourself.

I was thinking about this the other day, and I have no evidence to back this up, but it might be true.

It's possible that Film and Television have been acting as a sort of brain drain for literature. Maybe all of the best writers of our times have decided that literature isn't the best medium to convey their writing, so they write scripts instead.

In other words there isn't a single work of modern literature worth reading.

Film and Television are in a sorry state, though

like what the fuck does this even mean

Guess you'll never know :^P