“Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know...

“Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there-on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. The Earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the endless cruelties visited by the inhabitants of one corner of this pixel on the scarcely distinguishable inhabitants of some other corner, how frequent their misunderstandings, how eager they are to kill one another, how fervent their hatreds. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that, in glory and triumph, they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot. Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. The Earth is the only world known so far to harbor life. There is nowhere else, at least in the near future, to which our species could migrate. Visit, yes. Settle, not yet. Like it or not, for the moment the Earth is where we make our stand. It has been said that astronomy is a humbling and character-building experience. There is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world. To me, it underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly with one another, and to preserve and cherish the pale blue dot, the only home we've ever known.” -Carl Sagan What does this quote mean to you Veeky Forums

I really fucking hate popular science. A lower barrier to entry means nothing if everybody only thinks they're learning something

Carl Sagan was the epitome of Mr Science Man before NDT took the helm
this isn't a compliment

You didn't answer the question

Everything is science in the eye of the observer. Ultimately, the living will/have/has transcend(ed) time by means of organisation of simulacrum/interactions, reverse quantum observation, over codeidi-edification. The looking prismatic path of the ultimate-entity being, forming itself as it flows thru matter/information. Transcient thru time, observer and matter. Always there everywhere and being renewed ad infinitum at every crossroads of every fractions/interactions of time, matter and conscience, and itself. Superimposition of realities with pan-directional timeflows.

shouldn't you be crossdressing

made me chuckle.. thx.
I prefer my salads with thousand-islands dressing only.

What do you think about this? It starts as a pop-sci book but goes really deep towards the end.
Much more engaging than black science guy and (((Carl Sagan)))

It's ok, not bad.

I don't hate popular science. Yes, I know it brings a lot of pretentious, talentless and lazy dudes into natural sciences, but overall these kind of works is essential to comunicate the conclusions of science to the average citizen.

>every teacher of morals
Say His name-- "Jesus Christ". It's not hard.
>The Earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena.
The Earth is the only "stage", making it the largest "stage".
>Goes on to talk about how the world is just a pixels and dots.
Retarded. The Earth is huge. Is it supposed to blow our minds that the Earth isn't the entirety of the universe (whatever that would even mean)? Sagan is probably more retarded than Neil DeGrasse Tyson. It's all nostalgia and people born after he died who have been taught to feel nostalgic for him. All your science enthusiast podcasts that talk about him like he was a prophet.
>Like it or not, for the moment the Earth is where we make our stand
Against what? According to Sagan, it's against ourselves. Retard.
>There is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world.
This is retarded. Our planet looks small from really far away, therefore the things we do are silly. What a retarded thing to say.

>Yes, stupid goyim. Look how big the universe is. Doesn't that mean it's OK to apostesize from Christianity and turn your nations into Babylon? Isn't the relative size of the planet an obvious justification for liberalism, atheism, globalism, and environmentalism? Oy vey of course it is. Curse God and vote Democrat.

Thanks, professor (((Sagan))).

You have issues.
What is your opinion on Catcher in the Rye?

>What is your opinion on Catcher in the Rye?
I'll probably die without having read it.

Tegmark proposes a serious philosophical position about mathematics, so it's fine.

It's not that it brings middling people into the natural sciences, it's that it completely fails to communicate the conclusions of science to the average citizen. Popular science reifies mathematical abstractions to draw in people who fail to recognize that scientists themselves do not deign to draw conclusions about the constitution of the world, only what can be said of it through observation. Anyone who talks about things in terms of "particles" and "fields" have completely failed to grasp how science is conducted

What sets Tegmark apart from general pop-sci is that he's a mathematical realist. I don't know much about his beliefs beyond this, but this alone places his metaphysical views opposite that of pop-sci general.

What in my paraphrase do you take issue with?

The goyim stuff, 'curse God and vote Democrat and pretty much all of it. How did you reach those conclusions? Why do grossly misrepresent Sagan?

Space is big.

I will never understand moral materialism. We are irrelevant and everything will end in entropia so let's not kill ourselves, alright? Let's behave like good boys, cause reasons.

DUDE SPACE LMAO
EVER NOTICE HOW BIG IT IS???

SCIENCE, BITCH x-dddffff

wtf is moral materialism

Did you just make that up?

>science s
>scientific propaganda is good and essential

You seem like a dour, unhappy person, desperately trying to use religion in an attempt to give your life meaning, to the detriment of your friends and family.

i aint dour