ITT: We share our favorite moments in all of literature

>Addie's chapter in As I Lay Dying
>§ 23 in The Pale King
>The last 20 pages of Correction after Roithamer finds out that his sister committed suicide
>In J R when the guy Bast shares his hospital room with dies and he wants to play Für Elise for him
>In Outer Dark when the sister wants to have her son back from the tinkler and talks with him

Christmas at Otradnoe from
War and peace

The Milan chapters from farewell to arms

>Jesus died a horrific death
>Resurrected
>saaaved the world

In the Brothers Karamazov, Dmitri buying the pistol and taking off in the carriage, preparing to kill himself

>Infinite Jest's Eschaton Scene and "Jim not like that Jim. chapter
>GR's Kenosha Kid

he didnt tho

The duel between Pierre and Dolokhov

>Here's to health of beautiful women and their lovers!
>You are...a scoundrel...I challenge you!

user I am interested in your answers.

You enjoyed the Eschaton scene? Do you know a lot about world politics and international affairs?

>that medium's breakdown on live TV in 2666

when Dunechka meets Svidrigailof ingis room until the moment when he kills himself

nah, he did

>ingis
in his*

J R has so many good moments.
>Bast showing J R Bach
>Rhonda telling Bast he's boring
>Almost every scene where Gibbs is drunk
>Crawley telling Bast he wants him to compose Zebra music
>J R telling Amy how he sees a millionaire behind everything
etc etc etc

Priam visiting Achilles

why is she wearing her purse right then?

>Colonel Halfcourt's chapter in Against the Day
>any scene whatsoever involving Mario in IJ
>Canto 33 of Paradiso
>any Antietam chapters in A Frolic Of His Own
>the chapter where reverend gwyon goes insane in The Recognitions
>the Mad Meg section halfway into The Tunnel
>Episode 61 in Mason & Dixon
>In the Realms of the Neith in Bottom's Dream
>the entirety of Evening Edged in Gold

>Marlow and Kurtz on the boat
>Lear and Edgar/Lear and Gloucester
>the whole 5th act of Macbeth
>Pip in the ocean and Ahab's speech to Starbuck before the chase

>walk to your daughters new house
>Stop. Don't go further because someone in law hates you
>gradually go less and less
>stop going altogether
>worry you'll never see your daughter again
>son in law forgives you. Asks for your forgiveness
>see daughter again, die moments later

Fuck you Hugo. I need a tissue.

>Stubb using a translator on the French ship

Also Miles's speech in Against the Day that begins
>those poor innocents!

>when Alesa and Ivan talk at the inn

>Simon's hallucination in Lord of the Flies
>the harlequin in Heart of Darkness
>the drunk general pretending to fight at Zama, Austerlitz and Agincourt in General of the Dead Army
>the very last chapter of Urth of the New Sun
>Muad'dib wandering the streets of Arrakeen in his stillsuit by himself in Dune Messiah
>the narrator fleeing the shoggoth in At the Mountains of Madness
>Christ and Pillate's talk in The Last Temptation of Christ(terrific movie scene too)
>the destruction of Earth in Childhood's End
>t and t and t creeps in its petty pace...
>friends romans countrymen
>st crispin's day speech
>the comanche attack in blood meridian
>Judge Holden convinces a preacher's congregation that he's a literal goatfucker in the same book
>the taming of the she wolf in the crossing
>the narrator facing the storm in Galveston
>FROM HELL'S HEART I STAB AT THEE

>and Morgoth came

>Musashi's duel against Kojiro

They seemed to be in the midst of some great storm in whose low illumination, presently, they could make out, in unremitting sweep across the field of vision, inclined at the same angle as the rain, if rain it was—some material descent, gray and wind-stressed—undoubted human identities, masses of souls, mounted, pillioned, on foot, ranging along together by the millions over the landscape accompanied by a comparably unmeasurable herd of horses. The multitude extended farther than they could see—a spectral cavalry, faces disquietingly wanting in detail, eyes little more than blurred sockets, the draping of garments constantly changing in an invisible flow which perhaps was only wind. Bright arrays of metallic points hung and drifted in three dimensions and perhaps more, like stars blown through by the shock waves of the Creation. Were those voices out there crying in pain? sometimes it almost sounded like singing. Sometimes a word or two, in a language almost recognizable, came through. Thus, galloping in unceasing flow ever ahead, denied any further control over their fate, the disconsolate company were borne terribly over the edge of the visible world. . . .

The chamber shook, as in a hurricane. Ozone permeated its interior like the musk attending some mating dance of automata, and the boys found themselves more and more disoriented. Soon even the cylindrical confines they had entered seemed to have fallen away, leaving them in a space unbounded in all directions. There became audible a continuous roar as of the ocean—but it was not the ocean—and soon cries as of beasts in open country, ferally purring stridencies passing overhead, sometimes too close for the lads to be altogether comfortable with—but they were not beasts. Everywhere rose the smell of excrement and dead tissue.

Each lad was looking intently through the darkness at the other, as if about to inquire when it would be considered proper to start screaming for help.

“If this is our host’s idea of the future—” Chick began, but he was abruptly checked by the emergence, from the ominous sweep of shadow surrounding them, of a long pole with a great metal hook on the end, of the sort commonly used to remove objectionable performers from the variety stage, which, being latched firmly about Chick’s neck, had in the next instant pulled him off into regions indecipherable. Before Darby had time to shout after, the Hook reappeared to perform a similar extraction on him, and quick as that, both youngsters found themselves back in the laboratory of Dr. Zoot. The fiendish “time machine,” still in one piece, quivered in its accustomed place, as if with merriment.

Orlando
>the sequence at the end of chapter 1 where he rides alongside the thawing river out to sea
Butcher’s Crossing
>when it starts SNOWING
The Grapes of Wrath
>the actual grapes of wrath chapter
Huck Finn
>Huck tearing up the letter
At Swim-Two-Birds
>Jem Casey
Wise Blood
>the fucking gorilla
Snow Country
>the opening on the train

During the winter of 2012 I spend several hours most nights on the top floor of the main library on campus, reading naturally. Usually not many people were there, which is one of the reasons I picked the top floor and one particular area of top floor where two rows of adjoined desks were surrounded on all sides by bookshelves, meaning fewer people knew it was there. I admit openly that I always hoped to meet a girl during these nights, and that I always hoped some cute shy bookish girl would sit opposite and that we'd smile at each other and share subtly flirtatious glances until I mustered the courage to talk to her. Anyway it was usually just me and three or four others sitting with a few desks between us each time, and the other people were mostly on their laptops or were just Chinese people whispering about whatever. One night however it was especially comfy and warm and it was black outside already. Someone came and sat in the seat to my right and I was too nervous to look but I noticed in my peripheral vision that they had long hair past their shoulders. Immediately I felt it was the girl I had been waiting for, and I was so nervous I didn't even read the pages for the most part but simply stared at the page until it would seem odd for me to still be reading it. My heart was really pounding. So after like two hours of me panicking like this and turning pages pretending to read, closing time arrives since the security guard always walked around and made himself visible to let people know they had to leave. I finally packed up my things and turned to get up and what did I see? A fucking metal bro sitting next to me with long hair and a black tshirt with pale skinny arms sticking out. So fucking embarrassing though it's kinda funny in retrospect.

big if true

it big then, cuz it true

>I run up Broad street, and then down Broad street, and then up again, screaming like a banshee, my jacket blowing in the wind like a cape.