Anyone here familiar with the WaitButWhy blog? It's brilliant stuff...

Anyone here familiar with the WaitButWhy blog? It's brilliant stuff, and I was genuinely surprised to find that the author hasn't actually published a book. I wanted to buy a book by him (even if it was just a collection of the online posts) as a Christmas present, but only an ebook is available, and that doesn't count.

My roundabout question here is that I'm after a book that is similar in flavour - funny/witty in its writing, but also quite insightful and thought-provoking, on the subject of various matters psychological or philosophical. Any advice?

Pic random and probably unrelated.

Other urls found in this thread:

waitbutwhy.com/2015/12/the-tail-end.html
waitbutwhy.com/2014/10/how-religion-got-in-the-way.html
waitbutwhy.com/2014/10/religion-for-the-nonreligious.html
amazon.com/Then-Thought-Was-Fish-ebook/dp/B008DZEWF8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

transcript of joe rogan

Any serious replies?

Emil Cioran sounds right up your alley, OP. If only he were alive today he'd probably be able to give really good TED talks like the WaitButWhy guy. Happy reading!

A bit too pessimistic, and also not in English, but thanks for trying.
Ultimately I'm looking for something a bit more light-hearted, but still valuable. As an example of the kind of stuff I'm looking for, check out this page:
waitbutwhy.com/2015/12/the-tail-end.html
Hopefully you'll see what kind of thing I'm after (and not get distracted by other articles and never come back)

This guy only reads 5 books per year that aren't related to his blog "research". Maybe you should try getting an edge over him and stick around here for a while.

What's it like not being able to think critically OP? Your IQ must be around 80 - 95 you poor fuck.

I just wanted to buy a nice Christmas present, I thought you guys might be able to help, but it's just more shitty cancer.
You're the reason Veeky Forums died.
Good job.

You'd literally be better off asking reddit. There's no reason for you to waste your time here other than to feel wronged because getting punished by Veeky Forums for your shit taste pleasures you. Maybe you'd like to be a permanent member of my tickle torment dungeon...

>Shit taste
>It's a blog therefore it must be terrible
If you spent more time reading things and less time shit-talking things you haven't read, you might be a better person, though I wouldn't count on it.

If you can't differentiate the quality between the quality of classic literature and the blog you linked then there's no hope for you, you fucking moron.

Never said one was better than the other, and I never said it was classic literature either. Are you really so much of a snob that you will instantly (and aggressively) dismiss something you have no idea about? Comparing something like this is like comparing an artistic French film from the 1930s to something like Team America. Maybe you won't understand that, just like I will probably never understand why you are so mad.

Why would you read this
waitbutwhy.com/2014/10/how-religion-got-in-the-way.html
waitbutwhy.com/2014/10/religion-for-the-nonreligious.html
over any even mildly related book or essay?

If you genuinely can't answer that question for yourself, "then there's no hope for you, you fucking moron."

Well for one user, that poster wasn't me, so it's a little unfair to redirect his insult against me.

Original poster of that here. I'm quite drunk so take what I said with a grain of salt. Didn't mean to hurt your feelings OP but you could do a lot better. Don't settle for mediocrity.

Apologies. I have little interest in trawling through essays on such subjects to find something I find interesting, engaging or entertaining. Having already read some of his stuff, I'm confident that I can read any article on his blog and find it to be all three. His recent Elon Musk series was particularly great. While books on the topic might be equally informative, I imagine they would also likely be too dry and long-winded to really hold my attention. There will naturally be exceptions, but why try to find them when I know Tim Urban's will be great?
I'm not, and I don't. Try broadening your horizons.

So nobody on Veeky Forums can actually suggest an author to me similar to Tim Urban?

Why don't you stop being so aggressive and instead find out yourself? I was hoping to help, but god you are insufferable.

And Then I Thought I Was a Fish by Peter Welch

amazon.com/Then-Thought-Was-Fish-ebook/dp/B008DZEWF8

I think you will like it.

You've got problems son.

Admit it, you're just trying to get OP to kill himself aren't you?