Blake Thread

How do I get into Blake? Recommend me something by this crazy fucker, he seems interesting.

Other urls found in this thread:

vocaroo.com/i/s1QdWk3xOhE0
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>reccomend me an author whose name I already know
Marriage of Heaven and Hell, if you ever ask a question like this, which could've been answered by doing research yourself, remember that every second wasted is a needle in the eye of your forebears and that you're also a massive brainlet

Seriously, you're really stupid.

Well, if said author wasn't a infamous cryptic, confusing fucker you'd have a point. Also, this is a thread for those of you who already read him discuss. I always see him namedropped without anyone saying why they think he's great

I've been waiting to read the Bible and Christian epic poems before intoing Blake. I've finished Paradise Lost and pertinent Bible areas, how much does Blake draw on Dante?

>Have now another plain fact: Any man of mechanical talents may from the writings of Paracelsus or Jacob Behmen, produce ten thousand volumes of equal value with Swedenborg's and from those of Dante or Shakespeare, an infinite number. But when he has done this, let him not say that he knows better than his master, for he only holds a candle in sunshine.

Blake is one of my favorites. It's sometimes hard to get good representations of both words and images depending on the publishing though.

Songs of Innocence and Experience is bomb af. Really, most of his illuminated books are worthwhile. Pick up some general art and poetry too.

Any edition in special?

Unfortunately, I have not encountered a perfect version which does justice to his vast literary and artistic output with high-quality bookbinding and reproductions. You can find some decent paperback color facsimiles of Songs of Innocence and Experience, Marriage and Heaven and Hell, Urizen, and his other books, however.

It was helpful for me to start with his biography to understand the ways that his long childhood walks in the countryside informed his pastoral imagery and his concept of 'innocence'.

There's some classics blogger that's suppose to come out with a heavily annotated "reader's edition" soon, explaining all the Bible references and Swedenborg stuff, but I forgot his name ;--;

I'd recommend getting a copy of the illuminated poems. Reading them as he presented them with his own artwork.
Also Peter Ackroyds biography will give you some good background.

Can you recommend any specific editions?

I got this one from Thames and Hudson.
It was the best affordable paperback reproduction I could find. Oversize, heavyweight glossy thick pages. The poetry is reproduced in text alongside the original images, which are sometimes difficult to read.

>Christian epic poems
other than the divine comedy, paradise lost and the knight things like orlando and arthur what else is there

Pilgrims Progress
Jerusalem Delivered

Nice I wish the Hardcover wasn't so expensive

A few weeks ago some user read this classic Blake poem really well:

vocaroo.com/i/s1QdWk3xOhE0

bump

Reading the Bible once won't help you much with the likes of Dante/Blake/Milton...really knowing it inside out will, but it would take years and you'd probably have to become a serious Christian. Jump straight in and and just take from it what you can

>"..."
what did he mean by this

burnk