Is art dead?

Is art dead?

pretty much any art form since WWII is dead or has stagnated or has degrated to nihilistic trash.

pretty much any art form is pretty collapsing, from opera to classical music, to poetrhy and literature, clasical dancing, architecture.

Not even the popular art forms like anime, comics, animation, popular music, even film are basically seeing their profits being declining since last decade.

The only major art form that is actually thriving and taking the place and love of young people and new energy from new artists and profits climbing and it's technology and language evolving at light speed are fucking videogames.

compare any NES era videogame with SNES, PSX, PS2, Wii, PC, and the quality and evolution in videogames makes avant garde seems like a retarded piece of garbage.

we're now starting to see the first indie developers that grew up with NES/SNES games being able to make revolutionary games in the indie space, making millions.

And games still has not yet their first Beethoven, yet.

Should we feel concerned?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=xMEjovSlyqs
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

What do you think about pic related?

>the popular art forms like anime, comics, animation,
I hate you fucking frog losers.

>implying those aren't super popular nowadays, especially with younger people

I dont know

Film, music and (dare I say it) contemporary art are all doing fine. I saw exciting things from each in 2017.

How much contemporary art do you actually engage with?

You're an idiot. People literally say this shit in every generation. Someone was surely complaining about their contemporary art, the one that you're lapping up right now.

>muh decline post n.48391781937
not literature, fuck off

The audience of the traditional arts is simply melting away because there are fewer people with enough money and enough interest in those arts

There's less money, less social prestige and simply less innovative content that's worth any attention in those fields. Lots of it is a sort of dignified, nostalgic masturbation

Plus new sorts of """"""""art"""""""" (content is a more appropriate word) are stealing people's attention. Movies, shows, videos on youtube or wherever else people are watching 15 sec to 1 minute videos

everything had been declining since Egypt desu.

>videogames
>art form

Choose one and only one.

Now I understand that OP is a dumb faggot frogposter, and people are going to pounce on the whole video-games/anime angle.

But could we take a minute to discuss whether he isn't actually right about architecture? Has there been any good architectural work done since before Le Corbusier fucked everything up?

T H I S

>videogames
I knew where this thread was going before opening

>vidya is art
>simulation is art
no idiot
>their beethoven
god you’re stupid
>is culture dying
yes read Spengler nigger

And we can depend on idiots like you to parrot the same platitudes every generation

>Is art dead?
No. Read icycalm.

People have been saying "people have been saying this for every generation" for every generation

T A R K O V S K Y

>just because no videogames have ever been made that can be called art, that means that the medium has no potential

oh wow what now youngsters

Such games have already released, it's just that people in charge of labeling things art generally don't play them and have no clue on how to properly evaluate them.

They have the potential to be art in the same way that a game of chess does, ie not at all

The art of frogposting is very much alive, good sir.

Your analogy is terrible.

>icycalm

Oh fuck, just googled him, he's still alive. Thought he had killed himself in that oh-so-adventurous street race in Sweden like he shilled about on here a year or so ago, but no, the faggot is still kicking.

God damn it.

Orgy of the will is up to 818 shitty aphorisms now. Amazing.

He's not dying until he finishes the rest of his books, man. And even then, he's already left quite a legacy. The man's earned his place in history.

I'm always split on this issue, every video game people have given me as an example of video games being art have had god awful gameplay if any at all.

youtube.com/watch?v=xMEjovSlyqs

Movies are our legacy.

Video game analysis is always cringe as fuck, they just spout truisms at you like its some lost wisdom.

Architecture has not been practiced since the gothic cathedrals.

>And games still has not yet their first Beethoven, yet.
Dude, Crysis was out back in 2007.
Ten years and no one made a better fps game. Vidya is ded.

tell me games that you think are art

Miyamoto's the closest thing video games are ever going to get to a Beethoven and it's really not that close at all

Of course a frog-posting mong who spends so much time writing about videogames asks if art is dead, it's like fucking clockwork.

MGS V.
GTA V.

Look at these ultra-plebs

Yeah man, he'll eclipse both Alexander the Great and Soren Kierkegaard with his ramblings on subhumans, pick-up artistry and the sophisticated art of playing video games.

I just can't stand that hyper-active presentation oriented at inattentive consumers.

The ones that are the best.

if you don't think something like Antichamber or Kairo is art, then you're legit retarded

shit list, Deus Ex only one after 1992 that is actually good

>cohesive, educated critique on contemporary culture and philosophical issues backed by incredibly strong character
>"ramblings"
Sure.

Games will never be art because it's a kid's medium

Well that's a juvenile stance.

Why would they make art for kids that don't understand anything?

The average age of people who play games has been around 30 for a long time, first of all. If you seriously think there's no one 30+ playing games, or that there's no games intended for older audiences, well, you have zero clue about the culture and medium then and shouldn't be commenting on it to begin with.

The amount of games intended for little kids is also pretty slim, overall. To assert otherwise means you don't really pay attention to game releases and don't care about games.

you do realize people that grew up with atari 2600 or even NES are now 35+?

most of the guys who made games for NES are now 65+

>implying theyre art

World War II killed something in the western mind and it has yet to recover. The loss of art is one of effects of this death.

define art

>Should we feel concerned?
I don't feel concerned. My city is having a little renaissance of theater and ballet, I heard some really good contemporary classical pieces this year (check out Harrison Birtwistle's Violin concerto) and praise for some novels that seem interesting, I'll definitely check them out.
But, oh, wait, if art doesn't suck off and imitate the canonical pieces it is nihilistic garbage. Yeah, never mind.

>My city is having a little renaissance of theater and ballet

Are they standing on their own or is the government subsidizing them? This is my problem with modern art. People still enjoy things that require skill and dedication but there's no incentive to provide this to consumers, so we get Piss Christ instead.

The Americanization of culture as made everything into a commodity to bought and sold. Don't get me wrong, some, if not most, of the great artistic works were paid for but they were produced and created for their own sake.

Americans see themselves as temporarily poor and just waiting to become rich. No one produces art in such a culture. Art is superficial and does not benefit the quest for money.

I would say it's the other way around, and government funding of arts is a new thing. Most art throughout history was privately funded.

Shakespeare used to make plays that appealed to the common man and there's no reason that can't be done today. But because theater is subsidized and the creators will be paid no matter what there's no incentive to actually do that and move away from the elitist attitudes that limit their appeal.

>Are they standing on their own or is the government subsidizing them?
They are subsidized by the government.
>This is my problem with modern art.
What?
>People still enjoy things that require skill and dedication but there's no incentive to provide this to consumers, so we get Piss Christ instead.
What?? Are you talking to me or to yourself?

Why do you format your posts like that?

The king is part of the government but secular government is new. The type of art produced by secular governments is inhumane.

And yes, that's what I'm saying. Art was produced by and for private individuals. However, if you only spend money on what you 'need' or to make more money, then you do not produce art.

Because I'm not a redditor, unlike you. (I usually put additional line breaks to make my posts clearer but this one was so short that I didn't find it necessary.)

I'm talking about the greentexting because this is Veeky Forums and you should know how to write.

Is art dead? No, you are.

The post is perfectly readable and its use of green text is normal. What are you on about?

You mean I shouldn't use greentext?

The state of Veeky Forums appears to be at the bottom right portion of the chart. As more crossposters flock here to peddle their political or religious bullshit at the expense of actual literature discussion, more people interested in actually discussing literature have jumped ship. The parasites have nearly overtaken the host.

This "new people ruining a concept" strawman might've been interesting if it wasn't clearly made by an angsty teen

You should learn how to express multiple things without quoting individual sentences. It makes things to read and respond to.

video games were always explicitly designed for commercial purposes
just b/c literal autists can't tell the difference between meaning and kitsch doesn't make them art
you're baby toys aren't art
i swear to god if i read the fucking "video games are art" meme one more time i'm going to snap

He's a genius. Stalker is probably my favourite movie ever. Andrei Rublev is also great. His cinema is true art.

It makes what? Your post is worse than the other user's.

video games are art and your ignorance doesn't change the fact.

i was literally raised by video games and thought they were art for a long time
then i became an adult

I'll concede that videogames are pop art, as they are a perfect example of stylized consumer product that is massively promoted. They're nothing special.

yeah, sure

thread

The internet is a pile of bullshit, i'm not going to waste more time on it than what is necessary to satisfy my addiction to it.

This is my pretty near-sighted take on it without considering the fluidity of aesthetic value:

Artistic expression as a whole has become an abstraction of aesthetic value as things like cultural, social, and political exchange and commentary have been increasingly commodified. I think the question of viewing things like video games, anime, comics, and what is overall "popular" as valuable for artistic expression is an extension of this abstraction. As for the steady decline since WWII - I don't think it can be understood that simply. It appears to me that although there's much to say about the experiment of modernity, many people have things to say which hold very little value, and that those putting forth valuable insight into our condition are few and far between. And to address why this might be: it can possibly be understood as an acceleration of Spectacle or a malevolent End of History as the brotherhood of humanity is reduced to bondage by all-pervading late stage capitalism.

It can either be that, or as Hegel put it, "The owl of Minerva spreads its wings only with the falling of the dusk."

>people unironically taking frogposting bait on Veeky Forums in current year

Jesus fucking christ.

There are very few video games that are anything near art.

LMAO just how out of touch are you?

>Not even the popular art forms like anime, comics, animation, popular music, even film
They aren't art.

You fuck. Basquiat was post WWII.

>Pseudo-Nietzschean tryharding that manages to enspell impressionable internet pseuds
>"cohesive and educated"

Does anyone have the screenshot of him going into a blinding rage on his own forum and calling someone a subhuman because he got his grammar corrected?

appreciation of something?

yes they are you dumb cunt

>Pseudo-Nietzschean tryharding
Not an argument.

This is what happens when you allow jews influence over your culture. To reverse the rot you have to remove the jew, there's no other way.

Not him, but based on that definition, how are videogames not art? Everything in a videogame is selectively chosen to be represented in it, just like any other artwork. Videogames are also more than just their visual, auditory or narrative elements; they include mechanics, physics, rules and appreciation for those systems as well.

t. broken record

Deus Ex
Bastion
Transistor
Pyre
The Talos Principle
World of Goo
Little Inferno
To The Moon
Cave Story
Metal Gear Solid

I could go on all day

oh god there was a person standing outside the door and its head was fixed at the door. i saw it. i moved to the door or did i. i walked to the door and opened it and there was a face staring at the door but now at my face. it was a dark face a face of a nigger. i said what he wants from me and he said nothing but stood and stared and i said thats ok and i closed the door quietly keen on not disrupting the nigger and went to the kitchen and shouted t omy wife that she ought to come to me and i said to her that she should maybe prepare some food for the nigger so that we could host him as a guest and i reminded her of the value of serving guests well and that ti was seen with approval by god and when the food was fixed up i went to the door but the dark face of the nigger had disappeared and instead of it there was just the generous entrance to our home in the suburb of a big american city there and i pushed my head forward, straining my neck and pushed it further. my eyes were bleak and weak and i felt that the skin surrounding it was closing in on them, pushing them closer together and making my eyesight tighter and narrow and i felt like my eyes would drop of out their holes. i walked outside to observe the nighbourhood. There were many cars which i wnated to touch. I moved with my feet on the ground. Firmly planet every step. My eyes drooling. My stomach wasn't there anymore. I moved to the cars. There was one which was red while another one was blue but i wanted the red car. Thorough examinations of the red car folllowed. The energy inside my body was drained away somehow. somehow, i grew frightened i felt scared. Oh god mama help me i thought. Oh god i whispered. fuck me i wishipered. just kill me i whispered while circling the red car which facscinated me vastly. it had gotten my attentio. I complimented the user of the car after he had opened the door after i had knocked on it and what i said was: Your red car sir, it fascinates m more than i wish to admit. It reminds me of an episode in my life of which i do not wish to talk. nevertheless this is a splendid red car but i must ask you if i could rest on your stairs, rest and regenerate my energies. I somehow fel sick. As if corrupted from the insides. I feel that something inside me was torn apart, broken down somehow. Do you understand what i'm saying sir but he just withdrew quietly back into his house, closing the door. His wife was staring at me unabashedly through the window, which made me wonder, contemplate seriously if this was all just a dream. Just one grand large terrible dream without any sense or purpose. It made me consider whether i should take a gun andmurder these people. these people who lack any decency or respect. These fuckers. These fuckers. I tried to walk though i must admit that i only managed to crawl. I crawled away from the house of the fuckers. my hands hurt i looked at them and the streets were engraved in my flesh. The flesh was painted red, threedimensional

I've been thinking that maybe art is a bad thing (or at least the sensuous kind of art that tries to simulate real experience)

Isn't hiking or rock climbing better than looking at a painting of some woods or mountains? Isn't playing a real sport better than playing the latest madden? Of course it's fun to use art to experience things we never could in real life, but even then it can feel kind of empty. Overconsumption of media leads to depression, for me anyway.

Lately I've found myself drawn more to artforms that use real things as their medium, like fashion or architecture.