Do we really need friends? Or it's just an invention?

Do we really need friends? Or it's just an invention?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/JcTxK9htfQM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

very few men can live alone
women never live alone, expect when they are old and their providers are ded [men consider very old women as old men]

judging by the mental state of my unemployed mother, whose husband died over 15 years ago, and who lost her last true friend in a car accident in 2013: yes, we do. it's a stupid question. humans are social animals and if you turn into a recluse you're going to slip into schizophrenia very quickly, unless you are a highly introverted person who interacts with people on superficial level a lot - but even that probably won't save you.

go out, make friends, save yourself.

/thread

We evolved to need friends and companionship

I wish it weren't so but yeah, you probably should have some friends. Of course, the principle of quality of quantity applies here. But it's increasingly difficult to find quality people, which is a shame. Don't worry though, user. You always us here at Veeky Forums.

You don't, but what you NEED is stimuli
you can get along very well if you read constantly, go for walks, travel, but sitting alone in your room with only places like Veeky Forums for you to interact is basically prepping yourself for alzheimers

well this is the last post of the day for me. bye anons

yes, absolutely. having meaningful friendships is one of the most rewarding experiences life has to offer. that + rewarding hobbies keeps me going when everything else gets me down. if i ever manage to find a gf i think i'll be set.

You sound like a little bitch

you sound friendless, hope you can turn that around soon buddy.

This is a question I've considered for a pretty long time, and as someone who has had few friends throughout their life, I do think friendship is an important thing to experience and - more importantly - maintain. It fosters empathy, selflessness, and other practical virtues which can't be experienced or at least tested in an isolated environment. There's a quote in A Hero of Our Time which states that friendship always involves a hierarchy and a subtle battle for power. As a younger man I believed this and due to my insecurities and history of being "that kid" I avoided friendships partly due to my not wanting to be the weaker and less desirable of the two (i.e. some guy and me, his friend). But a lack of friendship, for me at least, can have very bad consequences, including narrowed thought and really a kind of narcissism which, while not necessarily damaging to others, risks precluding the prospect of forming a friendship again. I've had several close friends throughout my life and I feel regret due to how I treated some of them (e.g. cutting ties over trivial shit, or not bothering to check up on them) but it was for me a result of me always thinking people didn't really need or want me around. There was a friend for example who dropped out of college due to mental health issues and I naively (perhaps callously) assumed he'd be fine since he was always popular, charismatic, academically successful etc while I always struggled to keep up. I've been wanting to get in touch with him just to say "hey hope things are going well for you" but there comes a point where so much time as passed.

>my unemployed mother, whose husband died over 15 years ago, and who lost her last true friend in a car accident in 2013

Please tell me you're taking care of her

>unless you are a highly introverted person who interacts with people on superficial level a lot - but even that probably won't save you.
I've spoken to no one except random street fundraisers and cashiers (they're made to talk) for 3 years
When will I develop schizophrenia then and what else will happen to me?

see Montaigne's On Friendship. A little odd that the Schopenhauer\Weininger crowd hasn't taken this one up and memed it yet....
A great essay nonetheless.

youtu.be/JcTxK9htfQM

Veeky Forums - literature

now fuck off, billy no mates

>hobbies
please stop cucking yourself by framing your entire life around what you do for a wage

i've always been a popular kid but as ive gotten into my mid twenties and stopped 'going out' i see many 'friends' less and less to the point where i havent seen people i live in the same town as in more than a year. these are not my close friends, and i don't really care about them, but when a few of them recently didnt invite me to their weddings/christmas parties it made me feel like a rejected teenager.

Popularity is a spook

I get treated like dogshit by normies for either 1) having no social circle or 2) being ugly, so I just stay home and it saves me from the pain. Being a friendless loser is 10 times better than being the cuck who's so desperate for companionship that he takes all the abuse thrown his way with a big smile on his face: "h-haha g-good one guys!"

>so desperate for companionship that he takes all the abuse thrown his way with a big smile on his face: "h-haha g-good one guys!"

yeah, i'm a little confused why i seem to care

I feel like it's already too late for me to turn my life around, I've spent my entire adolescence locked in a room browsing this site and my memory's already fucked.

I wish you hadn't fucking said this. One more fear to nervously juggle

What did he means by this?

I think he is referring to Adorno's essay 'Free Time.'

Everything's a social construction, and those things are terrible!

You only need social contact if you intend to have it in the future.

lol i'm a part-time worker, borderline NEET really. my hobbies have nothing to do with my meager paycheck.

Something similar has happened with me. Any literature for this feel?

>go out, make friends,

how do

It's only too late when you give up.

He's against referring to your interests as "hobbies" because it creates a mental dichotomy between your little jokey inconsequential "hobbies" -- the word itself is a little juvenile, like "kiddie" -- and your real big-boy wage-earning job.

No. But even if you don't need beer, it's nice to drink a few every now and then.