Audio Books

Why am I intellectually inferior for refusing to read books unless I can listen to them on my laptop off youtube?

Other urls found in this thread:

librivox.org/notes-from-the-underground-version-2-by-fyodor-dostoyevsky/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Listening to a book is the same as simply skimming one. If it's just for entertainment who gives a shit, it's not like you're writing a research paper.

My friends made fun of me yesterday because I told them I was going to try to listen to Lord of the Rings rather than read it.

>his dad didn't read to him as a kid

Im sorry, user but you're wrong.

*I'm sorry user, but your wrong.

Dunno. Personally, my eyes hurt all the time, so I sometimes prefer audio, if good audio can be procured. But I usually read a few chapters myself then, to get a clearer taste of the style.

Hi sorry user, you're wrong.

he did though

what's the point of your non sequitur?

This thread is now for posting god-tier audiobooks

>Notes from the Underground, read by Bob Neufeld
librivox.org/notes-from-the-underground-version-2-by-fyodor-dostoyevsky/

Reading is better, but it takes more time. If you're a wagie or just busy it's ok. Don't feel bad user. Your friends are right though. It's not the same.

I meant to say that listening to a recitation of a book is just as pleasing and vivid as reading it yourself, if you are paying attention.

Why do the people who read these all sound the same?

>If you're a wagie or just busy it's ok

I'm neither of those things, I just don't like the work of having to move my eyes.

What? Bob Neufeld is god-tier. You're lucky to have a reading by him. As good as any professional recording without the cost.

*Hi user, sorry, your wrong

Well now we know the first misspelling of "you're" was not merely a typo .

oh wait it is you're

you are wrong

How often do you listen to an audio book with your full attention?

Isn't it true that you're usually multitasking?

You should honestly just read it

I don't understand. Most of the time you are listening to another person speak, rather than reading (unless you spend all your time on Veeky Forums). In what way is your comprehension diminished by listening rather than reading? Or do you tell your mother to write you letters instead of talking to her so that you can comprehend her more fully?

What no, the point is that when you're listening to a several dozen hour long book, your attention is split. You phase out, and do other things (cleaning up for instance) and the audio continues to steamroll past your conscious awareness and despite your wishes, you really aren't even paying attention for the most part.

Listening to a book is not equal to reading one because when you have a book in front of you it is your singular occupation. You have a pen, you can make notes, you can adduce, you can question, clarify, argue, but most importantly ENGAGE with the text in ways that aren't possible to do with an audiobook. Unless of course, you're listening with a pen and pad at your lap, but chances are you've never done this. The point is, listening well for long periods of time is harder than reading well for long periods of time.

One summer I listened to some of Shakespeare's plays while working out, walking, riding bike, etc. I don't remember jack shit about them. Since then, I've read some of them, and I remember some details of them still to this day. I'm retarded though.

None of that is wrong I guess, but still, all the work when I just want to relax is the reason why I don't like to read.

>you really aren't even paying attention for the most part

This can also happen when reading.

I am playing devil's advocate a little here. You are right. I don't listen to Kant on audiobook, for instance. I need the text in front of me, with a notebook or wordprocessor, so that I can take my time.

Besides this, however, there is little difference for me between the two. If I listen to crime and punishment all the way through on audiobook, during a road trip, or while I am doing manual labor, I remember no less than if I had read it from a physical book.

Audiobooks also have the advantage of freeing up your eyes, so that you can close them and let your imagination operate more freely. Can't do that with a book.

try asmr user

I wonder what it would be like listening to an audio book of a textbook. It would have to be for a subject without math, graphs, or necessary-to-see pictures.

That's fine, genre fiction is trash. In fact Science Fiction and Horror are sometimes better as audiobooks since they're more emotional amusement rides instead of serious literature.

True patricians listen to the audio book while reading the book.

I'm dyslexic and have the reading spped of a 10 year old so It's impractical not to listen to audio books.

lol what a fucking idiot

Sounds like you should invest in a pair of glasses pal

>Why am I intellectually inferior for refusing to read books
yes.
that being said, there's nothing wrong with audio books

>retarded niggers the thread
you will never become more intelligent or knowledgable if you don’t put in the time to be greater anons. You know this. Your mind can be trained to maximize its available resources and faculties at all times, to utilize every ability you’re naturally endowed with at the highest level. but, if you shirk your duty to train it, to condition it like a war horse, you’ll never escape brainletdom. im sorry you have dyslexia, or bad genes, but you can and you must surpass yourselves.

i got a traumatic brain injury this spring and I killed the first three months with audio books. It's what got me into reading really.

after a while I found that I wanted to be able to read passages again without having to skip backwards in the audio book + I wanted to own my favourites. So I started reading physical copies when I was able to do that on a cognitive level and I find it fits me better. Audio books go at a constant pace which can be either too fast or too slow depending on the difficulty of a section of a book, I think it's more comfortable to read it now.

That said, I don't think there's anything wrong with listening to audio books and you should keep doing it. I've had really great experiences with some books

>he needs to close his eyes to use his imagination

How is listening any worse than reading? Listening came first.

underrated

Was thinking on lstening some audiobook in the bus, you guys dont recommend it?

Honestly audiobooks are great. At work its great to just pop in my earphones and listen to a book, in traffic it's nice, and I can continue while getting ready for bed.

I listened to parts of KJV instead of reading it because it feels like I sometimes get the wrong idea about the emotions that some passages are meant to convey. Someone reading it professionally is more likely to capture the emotion intended in a book with dated grammar.

Poetry should be heard.
Plays should be heard.
Epics should be heard.
Tales/sagas should be heard.