Is it okay to have a thread here about music?

Is it okay to have a thread here about music?

A thread to post and discuss artists, albums, songs, etc. that you think have literary merit. I think you guys will have a more insightful perspective on this topic than /mu/.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=EiBXYNKIp3A
youtube.com/watch?v=sHK1Xhrh_sY
youtube.com/watch?v=p6tjdsydu_A
digilib.phil.muni.cz/bitstream/handle/11222.digilib/111983/H_Musicologica_27-1992-1_7.pdf?sequence=1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Throw all your albums in the trash. Music is for faggots.

This, but unironically.

>mfw Veeky Forums probably actually believes words can convey emotions better than music

This, but unironically.

Music can't convey emotions at all. We project emotions onto it, faggot.

This, but ironically.

>he doesn't realize that music is a regression back to beastly temporal nigger demon dance

If it's written music I guess it's acceptable.

>puts an album by fucking War on Drugs as the example of music having "literary merit"

gross exaggeration

Exactly, since the advent of jazz, music has been a tool of degeneration. Music before the 20th century is acceptable. It all starting going downhill when nigger music became a thing in the west.

>convey
I'm not sure if you know what that means

Prove me wrong. 98% of music made 20th century up has been degenerate.

/pol/tards get out.
your aesthetic illiteracy is showing

i enjoy jazz, but it is just a glorified noodling session

you seem to have made up your mind with a sub shit-tier opinion on music, so why would anyone attempt to prove you wrong?

In language the sensual is, as medium, reduced to the level of
mere instrument and constantly negated. The sensual is reduced to mere instrument and thus rescinded." (p. 78) If when a man spoke one heard the movements of his tongue, etc., he would badly; of when he heard, the air vibrations instead of the words, he would hear badly;
if when reading a book one constantly saw the individual letters, one would read badly. Language becomes the perfect medium Just as the moment when everything sensual is negated in it. So also with music; what should really be heard constantly emancipates itself from the sensual.
Music as a medium, however, does not stand "as high as language". Both, music and language adress themselves to the ear, which is the most spiritually determined of the senses. Language has a time as its element; all other media have space as their element.
Only music also takes place in time, but the fact that it takes place in time is again a negation of the sensual...
Music exists only in the moment of its performance, for however skillful one may be at at reading notes and however lively one's imagination, it cannot be denied that it is only in an unreal sense that the music exists when read...

You're an idiot. You do realize jazz was A SYNTHESIS of classical music and recent musical developments from African culture like swing, spirituals, and ragtime? Not only that, but to say that music has gone comparatively "downhill" from music past is to be completely and utterly ignorant of all of the innovations brought forth by bands like the Beatles and the Beach Boys, the Velvet Underground and Bob Dylan in the 60's who USED ROCK and other genres of African origin as tools to impose their own creativity and genius onto it, whether by creating new techniques and sounds or applying brilliant lyricism alluding to classic works. So yeah, go masturbate over your Beethoven and Mozart you pretentious pseud.

This

you have to be profoundly uneducated about what it takes to play jazz at a decent level to even imagine that this is true

/pol/tards
Read Kierkegaard brainlet

you are right but my god learn to express yourself without sounding like a lunatic. you sound like a homeless man ranting and raving on a park bench.

I have centuries worth of music to enjoy and none of it is shit-tier. Music before the 20th century is the greatest music ever made by mankind. You can shove your radiohead and arcade fire albums up your ass. Nigger-tier trash.

This photo looks like a Caravaggio painting

Of course music has literary merit

Lyrics are basically poetry

and music theory has both mathematical and literary dimensions

don't listen to the Veeky Forumserati over here. They're pretentious douchebags

No matter what albums I proffer up as examples of your ignorance and stupidity, you'll just rebuke them with buzzwords and not offer up any arguments whatsoever. The only way you could actually change your dreadful opinion is by going out and listening to music from the 20th century. Start with the 1960s and work your way up to 2000, then delve into modernist classical music from the likes of Schoenberg, Stravinsky, and Shostakovich. Then go into minimalism with Part, Reich, and Glass. Then go fuck yourself for being so naive and incompetent.

it has become clear that asking Veeky Forumsitizens to discuss music is a very bad idea.

Exactly, the synthesis /was/ the degeneration. It was the beginning of everything wrong with modern music- pointless repetition, chaotic rhythm. Pure itch scratching.

The Beatles is the most overrated band in history. Boring music for stupid girls in the 60s. Beach Boys- whiney faggot music. Go surf in the Styx. Velvet Underground- omg, muh depression and heroin addiction and arrogance. Dylan- wah, waaaah, waaaaah war is hard.

Oh yes, berate my style you philistine wretch. I can rant and rave with monomaniacal whimsy if I want to.

I'm a musician. I've loved all brands of music. I know all the guys you've listed. I love to love modern music with a passion like you've never seen. But I woke up one day and realized all that music holds you under water. It kills your spirit. It does nothing to ennoble the soul. The one exception I know of is Joanna Newsom.

BULLSHIT.

>boring music for stupid girls in the 60s
THAT'S BECAUSE YOU STOPPED IN THEIR DISCOGRAPHY AT 1965. THEY MADE SOME OF THE BEST ALBUMS OF ALL TIME BETWEEN 1965 AND 1969 I.E. : RUBBER SOUL, REVOLVER, SGT. PEPPER'S, THE WHITE ALBUM, ABBEY ROAD.

>whiney faggot music
Oh yeah, that's fucking great. Because Pet Sounds is whiney faggot music and not innovative use of the studio and production techniques that changed music forever.

>muh depression and heroin addiction and arrogance
Gross misunderstanding of Velvet Underground as well as an ignorance of their own creativity and innovations which allowed music to express themes through sounds and lyrics topics that had at once been considered obscene and profane.

>wah, waaah, waaaah war is hard
Yes, because you just listened to his 1963 album and stopped short of the brilliance of his later 1960s albums like Highway 61 and Blonde on Blonde.

Go back to basics you stupid fuck.

haha you sound like a faggot. Keep listening to your degenerate music.

okay, fun's over. Come clean, user

>Schoenberg
>Part
>Reich
>Glass

Idiot. yes, I know, repetition is so utterly banal and b o r i n g to you isn't it? I know, something needs to happen every .01 seconds for your attention span not to waver and cascade all about towards images of that girl who sits next to you in English or what clothing department store you think you should go to today to buy yourself jeans.

As for Schoenberg, he's so scary and spooky isn't he!? He can't even be real music, there's no tonality!

Fuck you.

>Part, Reich, and Glass
pffffffffff

Nice bait, faggot

I only listen to music for feeling and ambience.
I really don't care about "musical art", and which artists are the "correct" ones.
Listen to what you want to listen to

>music is the only time-based art medium

written before film you faggot

Why do you proceed to contradict user's statement if you think he expressed something exactly?

before film there was theater, you simpleton

what

implying theater isn't accompanied by music

irrelevant to the current argument, try again

your theater comment is irrelevant to my initial comment
>he doesn't realize that music is a regression back to beastly temporal nigger demon dance
Now please go catch some broadway show dressed up in a little suit and feel smart

Lil pump is the greatest poet of our era

I didn't comment about theater but the point is that it also is a time-based medium.

And bad for the same reasons as music relative to language

Don't you doubt.
Doubt.
The reasons are dead
And they're growin' in the ground, so why
Does it give,
Why'd it take.
Why to've been kissed, why be mean,
Why be anything, just
Be the man,
Be the child,
Be the cold midnight soaked
In the bones of this town
In the breath,
In the pink
In the honey taken from that
Green thing, given sweet
In the cold,
In the pour
In the want in the wantin' the sound
Even your own body knows
All there is.
See the gem,
Your hands are lined with all that
They ever have.

t. emotionless autist
>Music can't convey emotions at all
But that's wrong though. Music conveys emotion in all the ways words can't.

t. man who thinks his dog has emotions

Nice circular reasoning. Is this why you think language is the best?

>circular reasoning
ok bucko

nigger

I'm a catman and I concur with him.

Then what were you saying when you wrote that music only takes place in time?

Posting Bach
>youtube.com/watch?v=EiBXYNKIp3A
>youtube.com/watch?v=sHK1Xhrh_sY
>youtube.com/watch?v=p6tjdsydu_A
The more I grow as a musician, the more I find myself drawn to Bach. Truly one of the most profound composers in history.

>Start with the 1960s and work your way up to 2000, then delve into modernist classical music from the likes of Schoenberg, Stravinsky, and Shostakovich.

This whole comment has to be bait, right? Awfully good bait.

No its not at all, its off topic and invites people who don’t read or care about Veeky Forums here, take it to you fuck

>greek tragedies are bad relative to language

This meme is getting out of hand

Late Beethoven is peak music.

I didn't write that, someone misunderstood my excerpt

What was your excerpt?

>repeat three notes for 3 minutes + vagely words about fucking cows or something
>wins nobel prize
Damn.

digilib.phil.muni.cz/bitstream/handle/11222.digilib/111983/H_Musicologica_27-1992-1_7.pdf?sequence=1

Finally some patricians in this thread

Jesus fucking Christ

Suicidal little bb

>those late string quartets and the last three piano sonatas

The statement I ask about is from the excerpt you quoted, word for word, moron.

One of my favorite albums lyrically at the moment

Learn to read, then? Even in the entire paper it goes over other mediums, retard

>tfw getting really into Scriabin

Only music happens in time is not a complicated statement to understand. It's also easy to see how it is not a valid one.

stop sliding lit threads you stupid niggers

Listen up, faggot. The excerpt posted here does not say word for word '>music is the only time-based art medium'. In fact it doesn't even hint at that direction, and the entire paper doesn't make any such claim