I'm not even halfway into this book and I've already given up all hope on humanity

I'm not even halfway into this book and I've already given up all hope on humanity
When AI comes to destroy us all I will 100% support it

Could you elaborate on how that sentiment is related to the book?

if you wanted to prove to me that you were a spineless impressionable pussy with no life experience this would be how

The way society pushes out people born in a lower rank or the ones who are weak.
It's disgusting

this only proves that you have only experienced happy nice things in your life, met the right kind of people
you have to experience the bad side of society yourself.
everyone looks down at you including the state. there's literally no way out

I am surprised to hear that that is your take-away from the story. Raskolnikov's hell is self-imposed, or are you perhaps sympathetic to Sofya's situation? She cannot really help it I suppose, but that situation is also self-imposed by her father, not because of society.

Interesting interpretation, though I wouldn't say its the main theme to pay attention to, but rather Rasky's ill-fated attempt to rise above his poverty with logical reasoning in opposition to the traditional morals set by religion.
And some may say his sentiment is not entirely incorrect, but extremely misplaced and ironic, in that it is indicative of your own criticism, how Rasky ironically determines the old woman to be "unworthy" compared to himself, despite himself being of the same low class as her. Though to be fair, he also makes a point of how his philosophy only "works" when no remorse is shown, which he obviously fails horribly at, thus possibly pointing out the exact reason WHY he is such a state despite having such supposedly profound thoughts.
It's really no fault by his own. His bane is Porfiry in his use of rational psychology, vis a vis against his, but the "police" are not really looking down on him, but in my opinion they are thoroughly BTFO-ed by Raskolnikov at every turn until Porfiry turns up and of course, when his own mindset gives him away

not him, but no it doesn't. grow up. No generation has past without going through pain, suffering, alienation etc. And every generation that proceed this was likely worse then your situation. grow up

I'm really not that far into the book yet, so I guess I haven't understood the main theme yet.
But I really felt Sofya's situation and got irritated that anything would allow that amount of misery.
Also seeing how the kids had to watch the fighting and maybe get traumatized because of their bad childhood.

>When AI comes to destroy us all I will 100% support it
Who is Al and how will he destroy humanity?

>But I really felt Sofya's situation and got irritated that anything would allow that amount of misery
You should read Les Miserables

yeah same here.

Fantine's story was devastating.

That's not even Dosto's most miserable book. Read The Idiot if you want to get really pissed.

survival of the fittest brah

Try with notes from underground. That shit is heartbreaking.

Babby's first social realist novel?

You're reading a piece of fiction, calm down. You haven't experienced real shit either.

You must have a very close minded definition of real shit. Does everyone have to serve in a war or be homeless before they can say anything about how inherently sad much of the world is?

>read C&P
>become a communist
so this is modernity

>this thread getting any replies at all
the absolute state of Veeky Forums

To be blunt, yeah. If you live in the West you probably haven't experienced real poverty or totalitarianism and unless you've served in the military you haven't experienced war. This generally means you're going to be more flippant about subjects like murder.

i dunno, kinda enjoyed the sheer level of irony and facetiousness in the idiot, not to mention the moments of pure joy Myshkin enjoys throughout the book.

the dream of the ridiculous man was the one that threw me the most, that shit is a real horror story.

Must be a troll. Missing the point times 1000