Is anyone here dumb like me and doesn't know when to use a semi-colon?

Is anyone here dumb like me and doesn't know when to use a semi-colon?

no one does, that's what makes it such an interesting object of the artist.

; = 'that is to say'

I am cold in heart and body; lonely in winter.

Is anyone here dumb like me; doesn't know when to use a semi-colon

At the end of the sentence, faggot;

I don't either; OP

>This is what brainlets actually think

t. prescriptive grammar faggot

Never use a semi-colon.

Whenever you could use a dot—yet continue the "topic" in the next sentence; also whenever you're not sure whether you should use colon, or a comma; you could use a dot before the most recent "you", but why would you use dots within a paragraph—absolutely terrible.

I couldn't tell you how to use one but apparently I use them correctly.

Between two sentences (you) want yoked more tightly together. The boy was in a rush; the girl was thinking of that scene in Suddenly Last Summer when etc.

internet made everyone retarded

You use a semicolon between two independent clauses when not using a conjunction. It isn't that hard to learn; you just have to practice.

>That sentence

Just, why?

is this right?
the virgin was dismayed; no one had replied to his bait

After reading this I realized it may imply that I think OP is baiting, just to clarify that's not what I want

Wouldn't a colon be more appropriate there?

No

it seperates two sentences

Not many people do; I love cocks

The semi-colon is used to separate two clauses that could stand on their own but are related and sound better under a single period.

Use it however the fuck you want really. I read once (don't remember where) that you use it to explain the "why" of the statement that came before it. This isn't exactly correct, but I used it that way for a few years.

Best example.

No fucktard. A colon in a sentence should be followed by a list. Or it can be used to add gravity to a single article before a period.

>Or it can be used to add gravity to a single article before a period.
what are you talking about: the.

The only thing I know about the semi-colon is that it offends people I hate to use it incorrectly; not that I know what constitutes a correct and incorrect use; and therefore I use it as often as possible; that is to say, whenever it seems conventionally suitable according to some convention, rather than just whenever it seems actually appropriate; but I'm kind of a douche.

You are just that: a retard.

>tfw nobody admires your glorious syntax

>glorious
Here's your (You).

I don't know; I don't know; I don't know.

That's really helpful.

You use it when you aren't sure whether or not to use a period or a comma; That is why it has a period and a comma in it.

Semicolons; I like them

Semicolons. I; like them.

>not using a carefully arranged assortment of em-dashes, parentheses, semi-colons and colons to make whole paragraphs without the need for extraneous periods

Come on m8s

I don't think many people do; however, there are exceptions here and there.

Don't need however in that sentence

Them semicolons; I like

>mfw I have used 34 semicolons in the first 25k words of my novel

that's one semicolon every ~700 words which is relatively low

You do know when to use a semicolon, OP; what neither one of us knows is why you bothered to make this thread.

I don't think many people do—however; there are exceptions here and there.

I like em dashes. Those never get used as much since nobody remembers the keyboard shortcut for them.

Like them; I semicolons

nope
nosedived that sentence straight into the ground

Is this real?
I'm stupid; actually quite smart now that I know how to use the semi-colon.

The traditional instruction is that the semi-colon separates two independent clauses. Its function differs from the period only in discourse effect, implying less separation between thoughts (and so possibly a closer causal connection between them, or whatever it might be).

>John was here a few minutes ago; I didn't see him.
>John was here a few minutes ago. I didn't see him.

In both examples, neither clause is subordinated, and each can serve as an independent / matrix sentence standing alone.

This is wrong, since 'however' doesn't constitute a clause. Parentheticals, hedges, qualifiers, etc., are followed by commas.

It still has to be a complete sentence on both sides of the semi-colon. Well, I suppose it doesn't HAVE to, but there's little reason to use a semi-colon if you're just going to break its only purpose. I suppose what the poster meant is that a semi-colon is supposed to combine two sentences that have something in common instead of just breaking them off with a period