Was Paul Graham right about philosophy? An excerpt from his essay ():

Was Paul Graham right about philosophy? An excerpt from his essay (paulgraham.com/philosophy.html):

>The Metaphysics is mostly a failed experiment. A few ideas from it turned out to be worth keeping; the bulk of it has had no effect at all. The Metaphysics is among the least read of all famous books. It's not hard to understand the way Newton's Principia is, but the way a garbled message is.

>In the intervening years an unfortunate idea took hold: that it was not only acceptable to produce works like the Metaphysics, but that it was a particularly prestigious line of work, done by a class of people called philosophers. No one thought to go back and debug Aristotle's motivating argument. And so instead of correcting the problem Aristotle discovered by falling into it—that you can easily get lost if you talk too loosely about very abstract ideas—they continued to fall into it.

>Traditional philosophy occupies a kind of singularity... If you write in an unclear way about big ideas, you produce something that seems tantalizingly attractive to inexperienced but intellectually ambitious students. Till one knows better, it's hard to distinguish something that's hard to understand because the writer was unclear in his own mind from something like a mathematical proof that's hard to understand because the ideas it represents are hard to understand. To someone who hasn't learned the difference, traditional philosophy seems extremely attractive: as hard (and therefore impressive) as math, yet broader in scope. That was what lured me in as a high school student.

Why is he wrong?

Other urls found in this thread:

leveragedsellout.com/2014/02/the-book-of-graham/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Why is he wrong?

Did you not read what he said? It should be quite clear where he's being a moron

>myname.com/philosophy.html

straight into the trash

Nice trips.

Yeah I read it but I'm not enlightened like you are so please point out to me where he is wrong.

pg is pretty much wrong about everything he tries to have an opinion on

Why is he wrong?

I don't understand his proposal; he didn't propose anything? the fuck.

>I propose we try again, but that we use that heretofore despised criterion, applicability, as a guide to keep us from wondering off into a swamp of abstractions. Instead of trying to answer the question:
>What are the most general truths?
>let's try to answer the question
>Of all the useful things we can say, which are the most general?

Seems pretty clear to me.

I think this is case where philosophy might be too hard for this guy. You don't have to read philosophy, but I mean, there is a reason why people do it and find it important.

Why is he wrong?

because he's judging the value of philosophy in terms of its success. Philosophy isn't even something that is meant to be right or wrong, rather it is just the job of the philosopher to clarify his thoughts, to untangle the problems that are intrinsic to being a rational animal.

Seems like he doesn't know how to ground it. If you can connect their abstractions back to the concrete, many philosophers actually have a lot of substantial things to say.

This is interesting. Are there any major examples of this?

No because he's bullshitting, as all philosophers do.

>something like a mathematical proof that's hard to understand because the ideas it represents are hard to understand
this is bullshit. mathematical formalism is complete elitist obscurantism, designed to ensure that profession remains a walled, class-controlled garden for rich autist fancy-sons.

>leveragedsellout.com/2014/02/the-book-of-graham/

that, while satirical, will redpill you on pg and y-combinator

bootstrap or death, fuck vc bloodsuckers

What the fuck am I reading. I bet you haven't gotten past basic algebra you mongoloid.

From my experience philosophy usually gives you common sense or never takes no for a answer. I just see it as a tool to learn to think critically, other than that a lot of the """riddles""" in philosophy tend to not have any answers to them, their just there to help examine yourself. Like the railroad concept. As for philosophical proof, only religious fags use that so really discredited in my book, and it doesn't even work under philosophical rules.

math is class warfare holmes

>philosophy is too hard for me, so drop out, pay me thousands, then lose whatever else you have and die

If math is class warfare then philosophy is class warfare.

>it's used by religious people so it's wrong
The absolute state of atheism.

>has an article titled "The Safest Space"
>redpill
Go back.

You can literally pick up PM, and understand it in its entirety even though if you read from the beginning. If you pick it up and read a random page its gibberish.

That being said, Principia Mathematica is a somewhat pointless exercise

*delete "even though" and it makes sense

I'm not endorsing that site, I don't even know what's on it, but if you "believe in" y-combinator then you need to read that story. i used the term "redpill" because i didn't feel like writing out "destroy your delusions and fantasies about ..."

>assume the metaphysical position of empiricism
>notice that many metaphysical arguments do not supervene on the physical
>use it to conclude that metaphysics --- and therefore "traditional philosophy" --- is useless